Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70mm sound

Author Topic: 70mm sound
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-12-2002 04:19 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the one occasion that I have run 70mm, many years ago now, it was the original Todd-AO format, five screen channels, mono surround, no NR.

I am totally confused about the later formats, much of what I have read seems to be conflicting.

Can someone please give me a list of all magnetic formats which have been used on 70mm, format numbers, noise reduction, channel assignments, and which processors, and/or outboard adapters are needed to play them.

I assume that DTS on 70 is the same format as on 35.

What about CDS, were all CDS readers dual guage, the one I have seen was, or were there any 35 or 70 only versions? Was the sound format the same for both guages? How many channels was it?

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2002 05:00 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please find Dolby Stereo format codes here

------------------
Cheers, Thomas
here
here
here

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-12-2002 07:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CDS was a 5.1 channel system. The sound format was the same for both systems, however a different sound negative was developed for the 35mm version, which packed the data into a somewhat smaller space than was available on 5-perf 70mm. The level of quality for high speed 35mm film printing and CCD imagers didn't do too well for the demanding, data intensive CDS audio track. Perhaps if the same situation were to play over again today in 2002, CDS might have stood a better chance.

Both 70mm and 35mm versions packed a staggering amount of 1-bit Delta Modulation encoded audio onto the track. Data ran in the neighborhood of 6 million bits per second. That's way above the total data rates of SDDS (2.2Mb/s), Dolby Digital (556kb/s) and DTS (820kb/s).

DTS is the same regardless of film gauge since the separate CDs hold the sound. The only thing that changes is the type of reader and time code depending on film gauge and format.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-13-2002 01:51 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CDS was the same on both 35mm and 70mm except for data bits being 1.25X stretched vertically on the 70mm version due to the greater linear speed. Although the 70mm version was introduced first I think it is fair to say the 70mm dots were stretched as opposed to saying the 35mm dots were compressed since they were square on 35mm (14 x 14 microns) but rectangular on 70mm (17.5 x 14 microns). The CCD reader would "see" both tracks as being exactly the same.

[Hmmm...does this predate and therefore invalidate that Dolby patent that seems to cover any digital sound system whose data simply gets stretched out on 70mm but is otherwise the same?]

I believe the production model penthouse readers were all dual gauge.

A web version of the CDS brochure with specs may be found here

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2002 05:24 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Hmmm...does this predate and therefore invalidate that Dolby patent that seems to cover any digital sound system whose data simply gets stretched out on 70mm but is otherwise the same?]

Well Steve, if it does, it wouldn't be the first time. The US Patent Office is littered with patents that have managed re-patent prior art. Obviously they, unlike the Swiss Patent Office, do not employ people of the calibre of Albert Einstein to examine patent applications.

------------------
Ray Derrick
President/Chief Engineer
Panalogic Corporation Sydney, Australia
Phone: 61 (0)2 9894 6655 Fax: 61 (0)2 9894 6935

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2002 11:30 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here is a Film Sound Formats table from the Film Sound History Web site.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2002 03:18 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The table you linked to is slightly in error as the Cinerama sound format does not show the back wall channel.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: