Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Brenkert Sprocket retainer broken

Author Topic: Brenkert Sprocket retainer broken
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2002 06:17 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I swear, I just cant get ahead these days.
The plate on my intermittant Sprocket apparently was not properly tightend and just tore itself apart. (see Photo)
I checked for binding between the film shoe and sprocket and found nothing there as well as the amount of tension on the film in the gate. I dont know what the hell anymore.
Anyway I am dead in the water now.
Does anybody have something I can replace this with? I would be willing to overnight it if possible.
Thanks!

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2002 06:38 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That should be a common part you could obtain from Sonic Equipment (www.sonicequipment.com)

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2002 06:39 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity what would a whole new sprocket run me?

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2002 07:49 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New projector sprockets usually cost in the $100 range depending on brand and type.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-09-2002 08:08 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - that thing is known by some Brenkert nuts as a "Hoop-De-Doo" and it was named that by my friend Jim Bonholzer who had a ton of Brenkerts in all his drive-in theatres here in Washington State.

I might have one laying around in my junk. I'll check tomorrow.
By the way, (I am sure you know by now) the screw on the end of the intermittant sprocket is a left-handed thread.

Incidently, that part is sold separately. (Used to be, anyway...)

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2002 11:44 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I constructed a temporary one from a small precision ruler I had and it seems to be holding up. I will use this till I can get a replacement.
Heres the pic of my masterpiece.

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-10-2002 12:26 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good job, Sam.

Hey, I have a sprocket with the "Hoop-De-Doo" on it. Send me some cordinates, and I'll mail it to you Monday. Merry Christmas.

By the way, I could not help but notice the film stripper is sprung. I would highly recommend that you tuck it in between the sprocket centers so the film does not beat on it. If the film is allowed to beat on it, you'll have horizontal scratches up the gazoo.

Either that, or just take the damn thing off and order a new one if they can be found.

PS...By looking at that picture, I can see why you didn't have much trouble laying and setting up the shutter shaft bracket. A complement to you..you must be a top-notched machinist and mechanic.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2002 10:37 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Much for the compliment Paul.
All acomplished using a drill press and Dremel.
Thanks for noticing that stripper problem too.
IS the stripper supposed to curve around the sprocket and be more centered? ANy photos of one in the correct position, as I feel certain I can get it back right if I knew what it was supposed to look like.
Thanks!

Paul,
I will email you my address.
Thanks!

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-10-2002 02:07 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it should be centered. Also, curve it enough so there is no way the film can slap the stripper. The closer you can get the end of the stripper as close to the sprocket center without making contact with the sprocket, the better off you will be. If the curvature of the stripper protrudes from the lower portion of the sprocket, film damage could result.

Although my artwork leaves much to be desired, make it look something similar to this:

Actually, this side-by-side comparison might make more sense.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: