Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Aloha! My first post...

Author Topic: Aloha! My first post...
Yuichi Uehara
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2002 01:09 PM      Profile for Yuichi Uehara   Email Yuichi Uehara   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First things first, I'd like to say hello to everyone here as this is my first time posting here at Film-Tech. My name is Yuichi, I am 21 years old, and I am an Operator "B" (aspiring to be an Operator "A") for Consolidated Theatres here in Honolulu, HI. It's only been a short two-months-and-a-half since I "officially" became an operator after undergoing training to become an Operator "B", which, in Hawaii, or at least for Consolidated Theatres, is essentially the equivalent of a booth captain since we are now used as both film-handler's and talent, although I've yet to go down stairs to serve popcorn, drinks, etc (yay for me). It is quite intimidating and exciting to be in the presence of professional, experienced, and such highly-qualified technicians as I believe all of you here to be. I can honestly say that in the few years that I've been employed by various companies in a wide-range of industries/businesses, being involved in the process of presenting cinema to movie-goers has been the best experience of my life, and I am extremely grateful for the people who have given me the opportunity to challenge myself in a number of ways that I anxiously look forward to with the utmost respect in regards to the people who have come before me. Every single day that I am up-stairs in the projection booth, I strive to put forth my best efforts in providing quality service so that the customer is satisfied and enjoys the experience that only movies can provide. I am in this for the long run, and hopefully, even with the advent of DVD and upcoming technologies, we can all continue to pursue our love/hobby/job for as long as we live.

Now, as I've stated earlier, I consider myself to be a relative newbie to the world of film-handling. However, as any person with common sense can attest to, there are many a problems that all of us face each and every day that, and despite some action on the part of the higher-ups, not enough is being done to remedy these, in my opinion, major problems, to prevent further damage to the reputation of this great industry. I've read some posts on this forum made by a few that pertains to management staff, particularly the people responsible for handling film, and I must say, this cutting-back of costs is hurting theatres more than when they had professional technicians in the projection booth partaking the duties of projectionist. It peeves me to no end when I find tampered slide-projectors resulting in the premature dying of bulbs and backward slides, half-open port glass windows WHILE the film is running, finger prints on the lens, tampering of throw-distance of lens, wrong aperture plates being used, certain switches, mainly the exhaust and the water-cooler for the gate not being turned on, poor/rushed threading resulting in scratches and missed sprockets, bad splices due to "old" splicing tape not being taken off and simply being spliced over, tampering of the house lites and automation, which if not tweaked by someone who knows what they're doing, can result in a very bad day, and a number of other things that most people who are properly trained, SHOULD possess the ability to do, but alas, a select few for one reason or another do not. What I've mentioned has already been stated a thousand times over and over, yet we continue to face an up-hill battle and I foresee no end to the travesty that we, and more importantly, the movie-goer, must face in an uncertain future.

Despite all this negativity, the positives GREATLY out-weigh them and regardless of what the 1% of incompetent and lazy staff continue to contribute to the business of cinema, I sincerely hope and pray that all of you continue to do what you do, because if it weren't for everyone here and every projectionist that came before us, movies, as we have them today, would not exist. Thanks for your time.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-09-2002 08:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome aboard.

Please remember two things.
1. Teaser subject headers are not permitted.
2. A welcome message is better suited for the Yak forum. We actually already have a very long thread on this titled "who the heck are you".

The FAQ document will explain the policies of this board.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: