Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 2-Proj. automation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 2-Proj. automation
Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2002 10:00 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a theatre that need a automation that will run a two projectior C/O system when needed... but will mostly run a single projector w/platter...is there anything on the market that will do this, or do I need to have two automations, or make one ?? Any ideas??

|  IP: Logged

Markku Eriksson
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2002 10:33 AM      Profile for Markku Eriksson   Email Markku Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

You may be intrested in Kinotons matrix-type programmer, it is time proven design and has no useless gimmicks. Follow this path: here ->cinema ->automation ->matrix programmer

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-09-2002 10:45 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don,
Kelmar can make you a variation of their DeLuxe automation that can do this. Our company set up Bruce Willis's Theatre in Hailey ID this way. I just took over the theatres in thata area on my normal service route through Idaho and after rejuvinating the pair of Christie P35's tried the automation out to see how well it worked. Basically flawlessly....I do reccommend that if you go this route you also use the Kelmar cue tape applicator as positioning the triple cue dots would be rather difficult withuot it.
Mark @ CLACO

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-09-2002 12:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kelmar makes their "Integrator" that will link two of their current automations together.

It blocks the outgoing automation from raising the lights and killing the sound..etc. It is pretty simple and can be modified for use with electromechanical automations.

Panalogic's automation can do 2-projector
Pennywise automations also do 2-projector (either with the Christie CA-21 badge or the Kinoton EMK-1 badge)

The Pennywise and Panalogic only makes you buy one automation though Pennywise has a mode where you use two automations linked together.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-09-2002 01:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
CA21 all the way. You won't regret it!

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2002 02:30 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old reliable EPRAD co-operator will work just fine,

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-09-2002 03:44 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is discontinued and earned its name the Un-Copoerator aptly

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-09-2002 07:18 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to help service a place that had an old Co-Operator. I made a number of modifications--generally in the form of additional little boxes to drop inside the projector base. One was a device to allow the lights to be brought up with the credits instead of only at end-of-show (they had one of those wonderful old RF-free motorized transformer dimmers). We had a proximity sensor picking up the lights-up cue from the non-track side of the film since the primitive contact-type cue detector simply wasn't picking on that side although the track side did do the EOS cue ok, at least for awhile. When it finally gave up entirely I came up with a clever little circuit that allowed the same prox. sensor to do both: First cue through pulsed the lights-up-early box then it reset so that the second cue was a contact closure for the Co-Operator's show end.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-09-2002 09:41 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: Co-Operators.
I wouldn't go looking for them now, or even buy one used... considering (as has been mentioned here) that they are no longer supported.

That being said; I have 4 of them in my drive-in (installed in 1978), and service 2 more in a neighboring town.... none with proximity detectors.

Not one of these units has failed..... EVER.

I've replaced the requisite pilot lamps as needed... however, considering the mechanical nature of this unit, I would put it up with the best of its time.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2002 05:48 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Component engineering TA10 will do this in it's virgin state, with a very few mods

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2002 06:38 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemation.

Don't know if the current unit that goes by the name is capable of two projector though.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-10-2002 08:23 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think the TA-10 would do changeovers. I have heard it can be set up to run either-or projector but not the changeover part itself.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2002 09:10 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tut tut Peter you know better than that

The TA10 will NOT run a two projector automated show....

There is a two projector version that allows you to select which projector to run on automation but it will only run one projector and cannot do change overs.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2002 09:20 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tut tut you too - read the post and use a little imagination! The TA10 can happily do a changeover, to another projector equipped with another TA10. We played with the 10.5 for while and decided for the sensible cost it was worth going for another TA10 - is simple to get a TA10 output cue to "press" the start button on another TA10 - then depending on the diodes etc it can happily start projector 2. Only trick is not to wire anything to the film rfun out cue or use thte "stop" contacts on the first projector. Has been done, works brill.. Or if you want spend a fortune on more elaborate automation..

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-10-2002 09:35 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you prevent it from bringing the house lights back up to mid point when the second one starts as it is see a begin of show cue?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: