Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Portable Projection System (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Portable Projection System
Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2002 11:35 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for suggestions. I am looking to expand part of my company.

The idea is to get a 16mm or preferably 35mm projector, sound equip, speakers & screen. I will then travel to villages and small towns and set up in auditoriums or gyms.

I know that 16mm would be easier to haul, but would 35mm be worth it? Is there portable stuff out there for this type of set up. Preferable a quick setup/breakdown would be best.

Let me know what you guys think. I have already done market research and this is something that would make money.

------------------
-Joshua S. Lott
President & Owner
Consulting, Supply & Design

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-07-2002 11:59 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we've addressed this before, but more along the lines of outdoor use. As in a shopping center parking lot kind of thing.

As far as indoor use, I'm sure you can put just about anything on casters and in road cases using quick disconnects. The trick would be getting 3-phase for a nice bright lamphouse, depending on the size of the venue. I know of many gyms that are bigger than many multiplex auditoriums.

The horrible acoustics in many of these location would probably allow you to get away with just a little mono Kelmar amp and a Voice of the Theatre on casters.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-08-2002 12:20 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>The trick would be getting 3-phase for a nice bright lamphouse<<

Not necessary if you have a Strong switching power supply or a 220V single phase supply. Strong also makes a 110v switcher that will handle a 2000 watt bulb.

-Aaron

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2002 06:10 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Joshua,

The idea of "Cinema on Wheels" is very challenging. I have worked many new car and trade ahows where there was a complete 35mm booth temporarily installed for the show.

The availability of product for your showings will determine the film type you will use. There are only a few films which are not available in 16mm for the "non theatrical" consumer.

When setting up in a bad acoustical setting I have found that the ball park method works pretty good. You place the projector at home plate and the screen at second base with the walls of the room defining the diamond. Depending on the location of the entrances, this method reduces the wall slap and sound bounce greatly.

"Break a Leg!" with your new venture and keep us informed of your progress.

KEN

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-08-2002 08:43 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Makers of Portable projectors are either eruopean or asian in source
The european ones (not in order of preference)
Prevost
Veronses
Cinemecanica
Wassman

From asia
Towkiwa
Shinko

The FP20 used to be available as a bolt on the top of a tripod version(fp23 ?)

The ernaman15 driven version with the tower reels on the base would probably serve well

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2002 08:44 AM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "travelling exhibitor" concept. I'm fascinated by it! Many people did this during the first half of the Twentieth Century and a number of theatres and even circuits evolved from a guy with a projector travelling from town to town to show movies. Off the top of my head I can think of four people who I know personally who got into the business because their families did this during the 1940's or 50's. Three of those four are still in the business with permanently constructed theatres.

The folks I know did exactly the same thing. They set up in school houses, lodge halls, peoples' yards, any place they could get permission. One even took a popcorn machine and sold concessions!

Most seemed to have a circuit of towns they played, usually small towns without any kind of movie house. Also, from what I've read on the subject, a lot of the travelling exhibitors also worked with local merchants in the small towns to sell on-screen or some other type of advertising that would be displayed each time the "travelling picture show" would come to town.

Most of the people I know used 16mm equipment but a friend who does projection tech work visited a vintage theatre a few years ago that had some 35mm Simplex SP portables in storage that the original owner had used as a travelling exhibitor. The Simplex's have since been sold but it proves that 35mm was taken on the road in the early days.

Keeps us updated on how things go. This sounds like a fun idea!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-08-2002 08:52 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I had the cash, I'd be very tempted to do something like this. I'd probably get a pair of portable 16mm xenon projectors (something like the Elmo 350-watt model) and an assortment of lenses. I'd modify these for easy changeover operation and wire the solar cells directly to XLR connectors and get a small mixing board with two mike inputs to use as the optical preamp. Even if they aren't equipped for film projection, most auditoria already have screens for slides, etc., so I wouldn't bother getting one unless I could be sure that one particular size would be needed on a regular basis. I wouldn't bother getting amps and loudspeakers, since this equipment is a) big, b) heavy, and c) often unnecessary, as it can usually be rented easily from local sources if the venue doesn't have a house sound system. I already have the usual assortment of 16mm "stuff" (handcrank rewinds, viewer, sync block, splicers, reels, etc.), but you'd need this as well.

The projectors, lenses, spare lamps/parts, and board could probably be had for well under $5k used, maybe less if you can wait for a deal. I don't know how fast it would pay for itself, but I'd be more interested in just being able to get a really nice portable 16mm setup for home use and defray the cost somewhat by renting it.

I don't know if 35mm would be worthwhile, though; there's definitely a market somewhere between the high-end ($1000+/day for top-quality 16mm equipment rentals) and the low end ($20/day to rent a classroom projector) for nontheatrical presentations, and I can imagine many conventions, theatres (either 35mm-only or without any film capability), and events that would happy rent a semi-decent 16mm setup with operator for $100/show or something like that. Except maybe for dailies for film shoots, the people who can afford to rent 35mm equipment probably want to rent the best equipment anyway, and there are plenty of companies that do this very well on a full-time basis and it probably isn't time- or cost-effective to try to compete with them on a part-time basis.

You might want to think about getting some other semi-pro AV equipment as well, if no one else in your area rents it already. I'd think that it would be good to at least have a pair of xenon slide projectors with dissolve unit and possibly some limited stage lighting and/or PA equipment (unless the market for this stuff is saturated in your area, as it seems to be around here).

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2002 09:25 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on guys, think big. American are supposed to think big. That's why we all look up to you. You are supposed to be the role-model!!!

16 and 35 are for amateurs.

Go for 70mm on-the-road. See what we do here in tiny Denmark here

------------------
Cheers, Thomas
www.in70mm.com
www.dp70.com
www.70mm.dk

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2002 09:50 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua,
-What kind of films do you forsee showing? and for what kind of events?
-What kind of budget would you have for putting a package together?

Realistically, I think Scott is on the right track with 16mm.
35mm means:
-Heavy equipment (even if it's "portable") and a truck to move it.
-At least two techs to set it up
-A lot of noise that would necessitate a makeshift booth
-many other factors

Basically all of that boils down to a lot of cost, and I can't imagine too many small towns and schools that would or could afford the cost, but I certainly don't know the markets you are considering or the exact application. Obviously, 35mm would look the best, but 16mm might make a bit more sense from a financial perspective.

I would recommend a pair of the 550w xenon Eiki projectors, a fast-fold screen, and a small pa system for sound. In a pinch, all of the equipment could travel in a car and be set up by a single projectionist.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2002 12:17 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Sunny Michigan, there is a market for outdoor films during the Summer months. You need to go to the lake associations or the local grocery store and book your tours. Every other week end in three different locations. The shows are on Friday, Saturday nights. Oldies work pretty good as long as it is a "family" film.

I knew two folks who did this years ago as I maintained their equipment. RCA 16mm carbon arcs. One machine does it as the intermission between reels sells the pop and candy. (Folks usually brought their own popcorn)

Foldup screens and EV 'Musicaster' speakers. The projector was in a pickup with a hightop on the back.

KEN

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2002 03:51 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
-What kind of films do you forsee showing? and for what kind of events?
-What kind of budget would you have for putting a package together?

I plan on playing second run films. As soon as they become available. These would be for local villages that don't have access to theatre except by plane. We have several villages here in Alaska that have between 2000-4000 people. I am currently (on different business) in Kotzebue, Alaska (above the arctic circle). The conversations began to revolve around theatres because I used to be the GM of a 16 screen. I have had the experience of installing projectors and equipment. The largest cost will be transportation, but I am working on that aspect.

I would like to get the cost as cheap as possible with out sacrificing quality. I will not get in to the mind set of "they don't have any where else to go."

I am also going to work out a deal with the school district here which covers most villages. A bulk rate or something.

The one thing I am not familar with is running changeovers. I have always run on platters. (Most of my experience in multiplexes.) I would ask for tips and tricks, but I think most of that I am going to need to learn first hand with an experienced change over projectionist.

------------------
-Joshua S. Lott
President & Owner
Consulting, Supply & Design

Dennis Lunt
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2002 05:53 PM      Profile for Dennis Lunt   Email Dennis Lunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of change-overs or a platter, you may want to consider using a DBL-MUT, which uses large reels (up to 48" diameter, if you want go that large). Works great for temporary locations, and doesn't take up much room. We use one with a single 35mm portable projector at the small film festival run at Salt Lake Community College each spring.

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2002 06:36 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I plan to do with my Simplex & Christie equipment if I want to use it at an outdoor powwow is to assemble my AW3 on a wooden wheeled base to easily adjust it's position. Plus bright light emiiting sources during a powwow are prohibited if they are in the judge's line of sight this is because they can distract the judges & ruin their required concentration,so I have to place the equipment out of their field of view
& keep the stray light it emits from going where it's not intended.

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2002 06:39 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May I add I have to locate the screen where the judges cannot see it.

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2002 08:05 PM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've run lots of "portable" shows in all kinds of venues, including a continuing series of summer outdoor shows, powered by generator. Almost any kind of pro equipment can be made to work, if you want it to badly enough. I do quite a lot of this, and it really doesn't take tons of cash or the best most high-tech gear.

I do have 16mm zenon and carbon arc setups, but I have more call from customers, and greater availability of film in 35mm. The weekly outdoor series I run has been in 35mm with only one or two exceptions. Traveling to odd locations, the available electrical service is often limiting. Unless you're in an industrial type location, or a live theater veune, you won't likely find 3-phase or even very high amp single phase service. Unless you go into the same places every time, and know what exists in them, it will be important that you don't have any single piece of equipment that can't run on a single phase 20-amp circuit. In some venues, your entire package may have only 30 or 40 amps available. When I'm limited to one machine, I use a full-size (non-portable model) Tokiwa TSR. I take a platter when possible (meaning there is enough room and proper environment to accomodate it). I've run platters outdoors under a small tent I carry, but it's not my favorite thing to do. If the platter can't be accomodated, or the feature length is shorter, the Tokiwa can run 8000' reels. Keep in mind that you may have to take makeup tables and/or rewind benches capable of handing the large reels, if you have to make up and break down any of these shows on-site.

When there is sufficient electrical service for two machines and two smaller (usually 750-1k) lamps, I prefer running changeovers. I've used full-size simplexes, but am now having really good results with a pair of rebuilt DeVry XD's, equipped with zippers and lamp tables that will hold any of several lamps I have. My usual configuration is the two DeVry's, two ORC model 1000 lamps with integrated rectifiers, an outboard exhaust fan that connects to the tops of the lamps, and a small (short) rack of sound gear enclosed in an anvil case. When availble, I patch into the house PA, otherwise I carry a medium sized PA system.

All this, plus a Goldberg booth rewind mounted on a small bench, plus hand rewinds, splicer, an assortment of lenses, etc. fit very comfortably into a standard cargo van, and can be unloaded and set up very quickly by two people.

Guess I've rambled on a little long. Feel free to email me privately if there's anything I can help you with. I'm excited to hear how this goes for you. I hope you'll keep us updated.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: