Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Digital Offsets (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Digital Offsets
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-04-2002 02:35 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know the offsets of the DTS, SDDS and SR*D digital tracks on 35mm?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-04-2002 02:40 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On what type projectors? And penthouse or basement readers?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-04-2002 02:48 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I think he means on the film itself where the soundtrack is in relation to its corresponding image area, like the analog offset.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-04-2002 02:55 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SR*D is twenty six frames in advance of picture. I think, but I'm not absolutely certain that the others are printed in level sync with the picture, I'm sure Karen can answer for DTS, do we have any SDDS experts here? I recently read some material on CDS which stated that this system was in level sync.

It doesn't matter what type of readers you have for SR*D, the track is still in the same place, it just uses a longer delay the higher up the reader is, I don't know what the maximum is.

Kinoton now make a dual guage (35/16mm) projector where the 16mm (analogue) soundhead is above the gate and the sound is delayed by the necessary amount. Within certain limits it no longer matters where you put the sound head with digital systems. I assume the Kinoton machine digitises the analogue 16mm signal, I can't imagine that they delay it several seconds by analogue means.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-04-2002 05:03 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SDDS S-side (sound side) track is in editorial sync with the picture while the P-side (picture side) track is 17 frames behind.
I think the Dolby Digital data is 26 perforations ahead of the analogue sound. If I am not mistaken here, that means the data are 21 frames (analogue offset) + 6 frames (26 perforations) = 27 frames ahead. But I am not 100% sure.
Yes, the Kinoton FP38E 16mm soundhead uses a difital delay which can be programmed to various projector speeds and offsets. But it is very difficult to get the sound really in sync with the picture as a tiny variation of the loop size will affect the sync since the frames on 16mm are so small. The other disadvantage is that the machine has the douser and the soundhead coupled. So if you open the douser at the first frame, you will miss the first couple of seconds of audio as the soundtrack is long past the penthouse reader by that time. We have spend a lot of time with the guys from Kinoton at the Berlin Film Festival to solve that problem. In the end, we activated the douser/soundhead when the sound start approached the soundhead and covered the lens with a piece of cardboard until the first frame arrived at the picture gate...
Apart from that, the FP38E is a very good projector with variable speeds and an optional reverse which comes in very handy at the festival as they always want to see the first 1-2 minutes of each film before the screening starts. After the test run, I could reverse the film in the projector. I liked that.

edit - I also think dts timecode is in sync with the picture. But I am not sure either.
But the SDDS information is solid.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 05:44 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to an older SDDS manual, it's actually the S track that lags the P track by 17 frames. Didn't even say where the P track was in regard to the picture. I assume the only reason for this is to reduce the chance of both tracks being damaged at the same point in the audio.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-04-2002 05:54 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right there. I was writing from memory. Anyway, the P track is in editorial sync with the picture and the S track is 17 frames behind.
Now we got it right. Yes, the two tracks are offset to each other as each track contains a backup channel for the opposite track.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-04-2002 06:59 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The FP-38E 16mm sound issues are long since in the past (years). The exciter lamp turns on with the motor and the sound output tracks with the changeover.

Now they just need to get it right with the 35mm LED issue. They have them tracking with the changeover rather than the motor...silly Germans.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-04-2002 07:03 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The FP-38E 16mm sound issues are long since in the past (years). The exciter lamp turns on with the motor and the sound output tracks with the changeover.

But not on the first reel! Or has Kinoton America come up with a solution that the original developers haven`t seen? It wouldn`t surprise me.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 07:27 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

The DTS offset is the distance of the DTS reader to the projector's picture gate. The DTS reader must be placed ahead of the picture gate.

To determine the offset value, thread film and count frames from the DTS reader's lens to the picture aperture. Multiply that number by 1.25 and subtract one. If you do not get a whole number, round it off to the closest whole number and put that into the offset setting.

This informmation is in all DTS cinema manuals. The manuals are posted on our free online tech center at here click on 'techcenter' to get access.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-04-2002 07:45 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen, I think he was wanting to know how much it is offset on the film (during recording) from the actual picture that a particular time code frame syncs with.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-04-2002 08:45 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it was Kinoton America that forced the change that is on all new FP-38E projectors...so yes the first reel is fine too. There is a relay on the backplane of the 16mm sound system...it's job is to disconnect the output of the delay from the "party line". The relay only allows sound to play IF the changeover is open. Since the exciter lamp is turned ON the moment the "FWD" button is pressed, the delay starts filling immediately (with the wind up noise and such as the flywheel comes up to speed). By the time you open the douser on the first reel (or changeover) the buffer is already ready and waiting...when the douser open button is pressed, all is well.

This has been in effect for about 2-years now.

Steve

------------------

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-05-2002 04:24 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is sad news in a way. We had the problem at the festival in February 01, and again in February of this year. When obviously the American office had already found a solution. Well, it doesn`t really surprise me since there isn`t even much communication between the mother house in Munich and the Berlin office.
When the FP30E came out, there were sound problems because the electronic intermittent transports very quickly and the film hadn`t completely calmed down at the soundhead. We had them install another roller between intermittent and soundhead on our projectors at Sony Center. Munich was still shipping projectors without that roller for a long time after we already had the solution.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-05-2002 07:57 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, I thought they had posted the mod at Kinoton America. Instead, if you go here

You will be instructed to contact them for the modification.

If you obtain the current drawing on the 16mm backplane, (it ends in /01) the modifications should become somewhat apparant. Or you could simply email Kinoton America.

Steve

------------------

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-05-2002 09:22 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow! Wow. I'm sorry I missed my own conversation here! :-)

Anyway, yes, I was looking for the offsets on the FILM itself. So far, it looks like we have:

SR*D: 26 frames ahead of picture.

DTS: In sync --- ?

SDDS: P Track is in sync with picture, S Track is 17 frames behind picture.

CDS: In sync - we think.

Thanks!
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: