Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Problems with certain lamps / switch mode supplies

Author Topic: Problems with certain lamps / switch mode supplies
Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2002 11:09 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're having ignition problems with switch mode supplies and some brands of lamps - OSRAM work fine but other US made lamps wont hold ignition after 10 hours or so.. Has anyone had similar problems ?

|  IP: Logged

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2002 04:43 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter; we've seen a few problems that vary so much it's hard to get a firm handle on them. I have to say the lamp is generally the wildcard on these issues. We've had customers cruise along for a couple years on one lamp type with no problems and then switch to another manufacturer -- suddenly they have problems igniting lamps with a few hundred hours on them. There have been occasional problems with lamps from the same manufacturer, but that's pretty rare.

Pat

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-05-2002 05:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something a bit backwards from what I am used to seeing, Strong Highlight II consoles (no switchers) and OSRAM bulbs...hard to strike and a terrible flicker. Christie bulbs (which always work well) and even Perkin Elmer bulbs strike easily and do not have the flicker.

Used to Strong and OSRAM worked very well together. Who changed what?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-05-2002 10:38 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Anacortes, I am using a Christie bulb in a Strong Super Lumex running at 90 amps. The bulb has 3500 hours on it, and the light on the screen is still beautiful! No ignition problems either. The bulb has never been rotated. My stack temperature is about 115 to 120 degrees.

The best I could ever get out of other bulbs was about 2000 hours, and some never made it past the 500 hours without blowing up.

I have to agree with Pat. For years, I used Osram. Today, it would be 3rd or 4th choice. I tried Perkins, they didn't go beyond 2000 hours. As for now, I'll stick with Christie until they go HS and force me to change brands.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-05-2002 11:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have SUperior Quartz and Osram in several lamphouses with switchers and no problems
Same units bad stricking and flicker with PE and LTI lamps

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-06-2002 12:57 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, what kind of power supply on those SLXs? I am using Strong switchers in my screening room with SLX lamphouses and Christie lamps. No problem at all. I'll report back in about 20 years as to the longevity of the lamps.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-06-2002 01:31 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, they are switchers.

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2002 06:41 AM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mean to say anything against Osrams. They are consistently a pretty good lamp in the experiences I hear. It's just that all manufacturers, I think, go through a period where the performance of what they produce changes. These lamps are, for the most part, a hand-made item and are subject to Monday morning blues and the early Friday afternoons.

Pat

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: