Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Harry Potter print releases (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Harry Potter print releases
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2002 08:39 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have information as to when Warners will authorize the release of the Potter prints from the ETS depots? I'm going to be building four prints, along with possibly two other bookings. Wouldn't it be great if we got them on Wednesday instead of Thursday? I realize there are many of us in the same situation.

Just wondered if I'm going to have to pull the equivalent of the old college "all-nighter"?

|  IP: Logged

Alex Grasic
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2002 10:49 PM      Profile for Alex Grasic   Email Alex Grasic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing that I'll be getting 7 or 8. Don't feel too bad, the all-nighter is inevitable in my case!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-30-2002 11:49 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
7 or 8 prints? The way pictures are marketed these days is just nuts. Would it be so awful if everyone didn't get to see it the first weekend and the picture stayed in first run longer?

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2002 01:09 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our ETS prints come on Wednesday anyways. We'll probably get 4, and we'll be forced to cut the trailer pack down to accomodate both nine reels and the attention spans of young audiences...

Although you could argue that the Harry Potter books are improving that.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-31-2002 03:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
EIGHT???

I'm with Kraus on this one. This is just getting stupid. After 3 days everyone on the planet will have seen it. No wonder DLP is becoming such a "cost effective solution". It's this kind of assinine bookings in the first place!

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2002 08:38 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe with the huge holiday glut they want to get this run over with. It will certainly help WB make the bulk of the money from the box office before the rental terms dip. Don't theatres realize this when they book so many prints of a single film? Yeah, in the short term they clean up on concessions, but in the long term they are forcing the exhibition business to never escape from the terms from distributors.

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2002 02:24 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are getting 5 (in and 18) and I think that's pushing it. We got 5 with the first one too, and I don't think we had too many sellouts after the first weekend, and that's with essentially zero competition (the only other chain in a town of 150K people is on the literal other side of town).

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-31-2002 02:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear they are holding the 2nd week terms through the Thanksgiving week (which is the 3rd week).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-31-2002 03:04 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hasn't anyone ever heard of interlocking? Four prints should be enough for even the gigaplexes, assuming that they want shows to start every 30 minutes. One would think that Warners would prefer to give more generous terms in return for not having to strike so many prints.

Really, though, this obsession with opening-weekend grosses is just silly, and there is no reason to have more than one print of _anything_ (except maybe Star Wars or some other once-a-year film) at a single theatre. Better yet, let's have more single-screen theatres and smaller (6 or fewer screens) multiplexes.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2002 08:39 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course big releases are front-loaded when it comes down to terms. Would we like to get only one print and interlock it? Sure, and we would lose our shirt, too! We are in a highly competitive area. If we did that, we would be offering a show once every three hours and fifteen minutes, and make sardines out of our patrons. Meanwhile, our competitors in the next town over would be offering a show every half hour or so. Shorter waits between shows, easier crowd control because attendance is spaced out.

As long as the studios offer multiples of prints in large markets, this situation will occur over and over. We are forced to take multiple prints. There's an old addage: "You don't fight the market."

Sometimes it's tough being an independent when you have to run with the big dogs. Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of being the only game in town.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-01-2002 12:52 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What's interlocking?

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2002 01:18 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some chains have a "policy" that they do not "interlock" (whatever that is it is not a standard industry practice or anything) because it angers the film studios whos films get the boot for the lock. However just because people say they dont do this "Interlock" thing doesnt mean that they dont do it all the time.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2002 02:33 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update: I was just told that we're getting 4 prints, but for some time constraints, we'll be interlocking between 2 houses.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-01-2002 06:09 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad--it's really complicated. You wouldn't understand.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-01-2002 06:59 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well poo! That intralock sounded interesting.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: