Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What's the best way to do SR on an Ultra Stereo JS 200?

Author Topic: What's the best way to do SR on an Ultra Stereo JS 200?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-28-2002 03:48 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have any experience with the CopyCat 280 cards, or the U*S JXR 10 cards? Any personal preferences on which is better?

Thanks.
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2002 03:56 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
USL, Inc. has an SR module that fits into the JS-series.

Not sure about your Manley Popper.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-28-2002 06:22 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recomend it on the Ultra Stereo. I discontinued using them at our theater because it actually made the sound less intelligable. It sounded muffled. If you use them they just fit in the slot next to the matrix card. To be honest if you are going to use sr Use a dolby system to produce it. That's just my opinion.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-28-2002 06:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure your A-chains were properly aligned? I've gotten pretty good SR sound out of USL processors.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-28-2002 07:38 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clint,

Is the JXR 10 the one you're talking about?

Brad, is that what you use in yours? If they sound noticeably better than playing these SR prints through the "A" side of the Ultra Stereos, then I may have a case.

Thanks.
Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-28-2002 07:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't taken the USL card numbers to memory yet, but yes they just plug in beside the matrix card. In any event, yes it made a huge difference in the sound quality. The sound won't be all tinty and compressed sounding like it is when you play SR through A noise reduction.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-28-2002 10:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl,
If you're having muffled sound when using the USL SR card then either you have a system problem or a bad card. You're the forst complaint I've heard about towards muffled sound. Just about everyone I know of likes the USL SR noise reduction card. Its a really close approximation of real SR. The only better SR noise reduction is Panastereo's, and then Dolby's in that order.
Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-29-2002 07:18 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The least painful solution is the Ultra-Stereo SR card...it is about as brain-dead an installation as you could get.

Now Panastereo has an outboard SR system you could also use.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2002 10:52 AM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The JXR-10 is the correct module.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-29-2002 06:12 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I mean by muffled sound is this. When someone talks using the Dolby A noise reduction there sylables are legably heard. Also, when I listen to certain scenes that contain things like streams running in the background or wind I can hear with Dolby A NR. But these same sound are reduced when using the SR noise reduction cards. Now bare in mind that these noise reduction cards are 7 years old and there may have been some changes to the Ultra Stereo SR cards that could have improved the sound. We only have five of them here and I have moved them around to different units with the same results. All of our A chains are set up correctly too.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-29-2002 10:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl,
Do you have reverse scanners in these machines? If not what slit lens do you have? Standard, or narrow Sounds to me like you are hearing the track slightly compressed and possibly slightly emphasised when in A NR mode. LIstening this way is not correct. Also, what stage speakers are there, and what type of analyzer was used to set em up.
Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-29-2002 11:05 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
typicaly wind and rain sounds should be reduced with proper SR playback
the typical sympton of sr playing in a mode is exagerated wind and rain sounds

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-29-2002 11:22 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I need to do is one day just put the processor in sr mode and go in and watch a reel or two of a movie so I can get a better judgment of what I am hearing. Having listend to soundtracks played back in A noise reduction for so long I may not be judging the process on an accurate basis. Everything may be fine because it is processing it the way it should. We do not use reverse scan readers at this theater. I wish we did in a way because I have heard reverse scan readers in action and they do sound good. We have 6 DTS units with the possability of getting 4 more next year. (Keeping fingers crossed) As far as anylyzer I can not remember the brand. The speakers are JBL's.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: