Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » MGM keeps dithering about Michael Moore

Author Topic: MGM keeps dithering about Michael Moore
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2002 03:09 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found inside the Bowling For Columbine film cans.

quote:
Post Production Department Memo MGM

Important note regarding "Bowling For Columbine" prints.

The movie was made in a "Documentary" style which means it contains scenes that were filmed using both video and film cameras. Several scenes in the movie may appear soft in focus, the color may not look good, and shots may be overexposed.

This is not a defect and is the intended effect of the director of the movie.

Thank you for your co-operation.

MGM Studios

MGM dithered as to release this film. Now that they have, they are worried about what people will think of the look.

Heck, Michael Moore took half these images off of his TV set!

Well it was nice to get a heads up in the can.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-25-2002 03:24 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran a screening of "Bowling For Columbine" for Harvey Weinstein
and Michael Moore. Just before Cannes. Miramax passed on the film.
Before the screening Moore's group had me run the first three reels.
To see how it looked and sounded before Harvey got to the room. They started the screening at 10pm on a Sunday night.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2002 03:54 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Moore ran his film for the staff of the Telluride Film Festival. We enjoyed the film and we saw nothing wrong with the look of the film. It looks just fine for what it is. We also thought that it was a good treatment of vioence in America.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-25-2002 04:46 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right Ian , I found nothing wrong with it. I have enjoyed
his other films too.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2002 11:11 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We screened it at the Toronto International Film Festival. It looked like exactly what it was, a documentary. Enjoyed it very much.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2002 12:39 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I said in "movie reviews" I though this was a great film. I think that this is one case where the use of video, and film actually made it a better film.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2002 11:35 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't the documentary "Trekkies" (came out same time as Episode 1) use a combination of film and video? (video for the interview sequences, film of course for the clips of the movies/shows) Although only 6-10 people showed up for that film, the combination of formats didn't look bad at all. It also seemed that the titles and graphics were added to the finished film, rather than them being on the video and transferred to film.

Can't wait to see Bowling for Columbine!
=TMP=

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-26-2002 11:48 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trekkies was shot in 16mm and was a very nice blowup. Most of Bowling for Columbine looks like a really big screen TV (which is not a compliment!), although video and 16mm tend to be more acceptible in documentaries than features.

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2002 12:00 PM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When i saw this film, i was enjoying it too much to be thinking about the quality of the images.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-27-2002 03:15 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was there anything in the cans of BLAIR WITCH PROJECT giving anyone a heads up to warn that the film was going to looked like a big lump of dog-doo on the screen? Or CHELSEA WALLS or EPISODE 2? If they started doing that, the distribs would have to order additional reams of stationary.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: