Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Processors: Dolby v. DTS (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Processors: Dolby v. DTS
Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2002 01:38 AM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As of date, I've only had experience with Dolby processors, the CP500 and the CP650. I'm a big fan of the CP500 for practicality and ease of use reasons, and I feel that it's a powerful processor. I don't really like the CP650, mostly due the the fact that I don't like the display, and rebooting takes forever.

From your experience, which processor out of the three: the Dolby CP500, CP650, and DTS 6AD; is your personal favorite, due to ease of use, configurability, reliability, price, and other factors?

Also, what would be the better set up, assuming one could get DTS discs on a reliable basis:
1. DTS-6AD with, DTS-ES, Dolby cat. 701 reader, and a Dolby DA20.
2. Dolby CP650 with Dolby cat. 701 reader, and DTS-6D w/ DTS-ES.
3. Dolby CP500 with Dolby cat. 701 reader, and DTS-6D w/ DTS-ES.
or would you change the DTS-ES to Dolby SA10?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-24-2002 04:14 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Your best bet for simplicity and cost is to go with the CP650 with internal SRD as well as internal EX. At that point you are 100% covered on all films. There is no film that I am aware of that is released these days with DTS but not an SRD track. However if you wanted both (perhaps or backup purposes), adding a dts6-d would be effortless with the CP650.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2002 06:53 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just done that very setup, was truly a breeze!

I loved the CP500 for it's flexibilty, I hated it for it's electronic mood swings. The CP650 appears thus far to be somewhat more reliable but, and it's a big pain in the butt, for a lot of my venues it doesn't have enough inputs, and what inputs there are can't be configured as one would like.

The DTS6AD? hmm, well in a multiplex situation it's ok, I don't care much for it's sound in SR, however the four I look after have been pretty reliable, the only grief here is getting the discs for the thing.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-24-2002 09:39 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My route will yeild better sound
Panastereo csp1200
Dolby DA20
DTS6D
Panastereo surround adapter
Yes it will cost a little bit more but the net results are sonically better and also more easily serviced should there be a component failure

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2002 10:37 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Your best bet for simplicity and cost is to go with the CP650 with internal SRD as well as internal EX. At that point you are 100% covered on all films. There is no film that I am aware of that is released these days with DTS but not an SRD track.

MGM likes to use DTS only. That was the case with Anitrust, and a few others I cannot remember. At the theater I was at when it was released, 2 of our medium houses had DTS only. Since we figured that movie wouldn't sell much (and it didn't) we started it in one of these houses. I wish the larger houses would have DTS, but none of them do.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-24-2002 11:29 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the hardwrae quality and features of the dts-6AD? I have never seen or heard one since they are commonly not installed here.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-24-2002 11:40 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord,

You offered a suggestion that was NOT one of the two choices. BTW the CP-650 price is going up January 1st so order early!

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-24-2002 11:53 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know but sometimes it is better to take a step back and look at the best route to go

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2002 04:28 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your suggestions. And Gord, I'll look at the Panastereo processor.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-24-2002 06:00 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS-6AD cinema processors are pretty decent. They have good automation features and the DTS audio coming out of one is as good as any DTS player.

The only drawback with the DTS-6AD is the SR-type analog playback is not as good as true Dolby SR. But then one can fault the Dolby CP-650 for its digital treatment of A-type and SR-type analog tracks. But, as Brad stated, you do get internal Surround EX processing.

My guess is you would be using that Surround EX mode on Dolby Digital audio more often than playing analog films in SR. It seems to be more and more rare for films to arrive in analog only, unless you work for an art house theater. And even there, Dolby Digital is getting to be pretty common on most prints.

DTS-ES or Dolby SA-10? You can weigh their own merits and add one to any digital sound format. Dolby SA-10s can be added to a DTS-only rack. You can hook up a DTS-ES player to a Dolby Digital driven system. It will work. The only problems you'll have is when you want to advertise your digital sound and extended surround capability. At that point, you'll confuse the crap out of customers.

Anyway, I still like an old 2-drive DTS system hooked up to a Dolby CP-65. Your digital surround and SR analog will both sound great in that combination.

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-24-2002 06:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,

On the EX front...there is also the Panastereo SP-23/30 For less money you get a 1-U unit that has 1/3 octave EQ on all three channels as opposed to the SA-10 which as ,not quite, full octave plus other issues. Oh, and did I tell you that the SP-23 has meters on the front for calibrating as opposed to the BS way the SA-10 has you set levels?

Steve

------------------

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-24-2002 08:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But steve that was on my list that you disallowed

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-24-2002 08:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was merely responding to Bobby's comment on Surround EX...which was off-topic entirely...only the CP-650 and DTS-6AD were under consideration at the beginning of the topic.

Steve

------------------

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-24-2002 11:32 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only brought up the Surround EX thing since it is built into the Dolby CP-650. That gives it a little bit of a marketing edge above a DTS-6AD, at least until DTS comes out with a new playback machine/cinema processor combo with DTS-ES built in.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-25-2002 12:36 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm definately on Gords side here(and we all know that Mr.Guttag is also on our side in reality). The Panastereo/DA-20 route is BY FAR the best way to the best sound quality. Yes, a bit more expensive, but ya gets what ya pays for.
Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: