Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » strong platters (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: strong platters
Daryl Lund
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2002 11:13 PM      Profile for Daryl Lund   Email Daryl Lund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that strong platters are one of the best things you could buy. I have been in the biz over 15 years and always had strong platters. They run like that bunny on tv for ever and ever and ever. I own two theatres and the strong platters have made me a lot of money with no down time. My head teck Kenny Layton is like the maytag man with nothing to do.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl Lund
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2002 11:20 PM      Profile for Daryl Lund   Email Daryl Lund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I for got to thank the man that helped me get started with my first theatre in 1983. Pat Moore, He was with NW film service in portland,OR. He always had time to help a young kid who had all kind of questions. Pat made copies of manuals for everthing I had. He is a real super guy. I am so glad that He is with strong now. What a great company.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2002 02:45 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given recent events, it may be interesting to read responses to this thread.

------------------
Find me online
AOL: Dexter Caldwell
yahoo!: dexter_caldwell

"It is the opinion of the entire staff the Dexter is criminally insane."

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-24-2002 03:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh huh. And I wonder just what could've possibly prompted this sudden praise of Strong platters and Mr. Moore. Yeah, sure whatever.

quote:
"I have been in the biz over 15 years and always had strong platters."

I hate to burst your bubble, but you HAVE to work with different equipment in order to be able to form a valid opinion. In other words, you have no idea what you are comparing a Strong platter against when you praise it.

Believe me Daryl, I am holding it in and being VERY nice right now about the current Strong situation. Want to see some videos of my fabulous top-of-the-line Strong SCDC platters in operation? I am starting to amass a nice collection.

(PS, in the future please use the EDIT feature instead of doubling up your posts.)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-24-2002 04:14 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad has sent me AVI videos of the SCDC platters dragging a full wrap around the brain and running that way continuously, as if it were designed to do that. I thought they were supposed to be self calibrating. If they are designed to run with a wrap then I guess nothing is wrong.

Shaun Flichel
Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2002 09:12 AM      Profile for Shaun Flichel   Email Shaun Flichel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Brad, how can I get these video's? I'm not much of a Strong fan and would like some laughs.

Shaun

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-24-2002 12:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least up here Strong/Potts has the biggest installed base of platters almost to the level of exclusivity.
They are not elegant but are cost effective package. If that is what you got one just has to live with it but I have very few problems with them

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-24-2002 12:37 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well... not to get too far off the subject, but I have 3 ORC CP302 platters that are still running, well... ok after 24 years of service. They're ready for retirement though... I think the Dodge distributor points are getting tired.

On the other hand, a couple of points in their favor are that on startup, the feed platter doesn't spin up fast enough to take the film a little off-center... then stops and wraps a turn or two (or three) while everything settles down. They also don't have that short trolley problem.

Now, if they could only do something about those horrible brains... the ones that CFS put in their "superplatter".

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-24-2002 03:51 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack- you can put ANY kind of microswitch style brain in the ORC as long as the plate is not bigger than the hole. I have Strong microswitch brains in a few of mine. Of course I had to modify the brains so they wouldn't be such a pain to thread like they are straight from the factory. I think you can even use phase control Strong brains in the ORC platters. Unfortunately they won't be removable unless you do quite a bit of conversion, but hardwiring them in is easy enough.

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2002 06:36 PM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used the Speco LP270 platter and the Strong A3 and AP3. Liked them both. My preferance is for the AP3. Nice simple 2 way switch.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-24-2002 11:11 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to side with Gordon on this issue.

Don't expect a Ford Taurus to do the job of a Lincoln Continental. Don't expect a Chevrolet Vega to do the job of a Cadillac. (Sorry - I have nothing to add about Chrysler products. )

Don't expect an A3 to do the job of a AW3.

You get what you pay for most of the time.....

Joseph D. Olson
Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2002 02:55 AM      Profile for Joseph D. Olson   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph D. Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my short career, I've worked with Strongs, Christie Autowind 3s, and some old model Drive-ins. My preferance is definitely the Christie. Never wrapped on me and any problem was easy to remedy.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2002 11:52 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been installing & service Strong SCDC platters since they came out a few years ago, I never had a problem with these, I had more problems with Christie keeping in time & replacing the LED's...maybe I'm the lucky one with the Strong platters, but after installing hundreds of these & no problems...my vote would be the Strong SCDC platters....

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2002 07:03 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don,

Actually those old BEAT UP Christies at the Furneaux are still working, broken decks and all. Only have 1 burnt up motor (not Christie's fault).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-29-2002 08:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You may regret saying that Don, for I might come kidnap you and force you to resolve all of the issues with my Strong platters!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: