Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Brenkert lense holder issue (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Brenkert lense holder issue
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2002 10:49 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Brenkert came into today and this lenses holder assembly was on it.
What the hell is this? I have two B-L Super Cinephor lenses that I thought was standard and this assembly looks like it holds lenses at least 2 inches bigger.
I would like to replace this with the correct one if somebody has one they can let go of.
Also need the top film guide that mounts between the feed magazine and the BX80 head.
I am in pretty dire need of these items.

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2002 11:16 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a retrofit lens holder for 4" diameter lenses. Probably pulled off of a BX-100 machine. You need RCA part number 148053 Lens Adapter, 4" to Standard Lens in order to use regular diameter lenses in it.

Your other part you mentioned is # P-1172 Film Valve Assembly (upper firetrap roller unit). If you use large reel arms this assembly is usually not needed as the large reel arm comes with a guide roller at the bottom of the arm.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-21-2002 11:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone has modified this machine to accept lenses of larger diameters. This was frequently done on Super Simplex's, and even regular Simplex's in past years. Brenkert also made a 4" lens mount machine called the BX-100 as well. I've worked with those machines extensively but this looks different to me. Am curious how this machine was advertised to you? Do you think the seller mis-represented it?
The main frame looks like it could all be re-assembled but I'd need to see more of the front of the casting without this kludge on it to let you know if its still possible to put her back right. It looks like part of the front has also been machined away for this mod.
Mark @ CLACO

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2002 08:04 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is two more pics with the assembly removed.
I may not have asked enough questions as the guy I bought this from was supposed to be reputable so anyway, whats done is done.
Surely one of you guys has the spare parts that I would need to correct this thing.
Anyway here are the photos.

As far as the roller assembly goes I would like to get one so someone dig up one of those as well for me.
Thanks.

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-22-2002 03:09 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, that machine looks in very rough condition. It might be advisable to find another complete machine. That shouldn't be too difficult to do....

Finding parts you need for yours may cost more than the machine is worth.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2002 04:21 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,
It looks like an aftermarket 4" lens adaptor. Huff and other companies made these to fit most machines with minor machine work. Lots of these were sold and installed in the 50's. As Mark stated I have a Standard Simplex with one installed which looks simular to yours. If you replace it with a normal small lens holder the cutout for the 4" one will still show. For now it would be easier to get a 4" lens adaptor for your lens and just use the projector unitll you can find a better one. Lots of them around.
Dick

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2002 04:23 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That really bums me out.
The thing is actually pretty clean, that camera shot doesn't do it justice. The only problem that I see with it is the shutters seem to be a little noisy, kinda like something jumping around and it goes away if you remove the blades. The blades had been rubbing the shroud but I straightened them out so I dont know. I feel no play in the shafts so I dont know if that is normal to be noisy or not.

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-22-2002 05:29 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, I might have an old lens holded laying in my junk somewhere. Seems I saw one sometime ago laying at the bottom of my storage shed. Next time I go in there, I'll look for it. If it is still there, I'll send it to you.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2002 07:36 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, I have a BX80 that was in worse shape than that one when I got it. Mine looked like it had been stored in a cesspool for twenty years, set on fire then coated with grease. By the time I tore it down, cleaned it and painted it, it looked like a new machine. Mechanically, it was beautiful. It just LOOKED awful. I have a BX60 with a 4" lens mount on it and it's even better than the original Brenkert mount. Just go ahead and leave it and get a collar for the lenses...no big deal. The shutter shouldn't make any noise at all. What kind of noise is it making? If the blades aren't bent, then it may be a bearing. I've got a regular old Brenkert lens mount somewhere and I'll look around to see if I can find it for you.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2002 08:10 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey John,
Its hard to descibe but it could be the bearing.
I will say this, If you turn the motor over by hand its real easy to turn then all of a sudden it feels like it is binding. I looked real careful at all the gears and they all look like there ok except for the planetary gear that feeds the fan shaft. A problem that I just ran across is that I have no breakdown or really good service manual on this thing. I thought about pulling the rear collar off and checking the bearings and also the drive gears for the fan shafts but I just dont know if I'm ready for that yet.

Another question, on the soundhead takeup shaft when running bobs in and out just a little and that just isn't good for the constant speed sprocket. According to the manual I am not missing anything or misplaced any parts inside the soundhead gearbox. I think that whatever is causing the projector to bind is making it do that.
Anyway what shall I look for that may be binding? Oh and also the travel ghost comes and goes on this thing as well. Shutter timing maybe? In other words during brite scenes or credits there is a travel ghost on the top of the words and the bottom and it goes away then comes back. I think this is related to the binding issue.
Anyway, I dont think its major but it certainly needs attention.
Thanks for the expert advise.

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2002 09:24 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check to make sure that the rod which connects the framing knob to the intermittent assembly is properly attached. It's easy to overlook this when you replace the intermittent and when it's not right, ghosting will come and go as you described. The fan assembly is another possible source of problems. Be sure that the counterweights are not hitting the inside of the gear cover when they open up. That whole thing rotates pretty fast, and if a bearing is worn, it will run for a while, then bind a bit and "chatter" or make a noise, then run smoothe and repeat the whole cycle again...it's a vibration that is unique. It will put a drag on the whole machine when it happens. To pull the unit you have to open up the film trap and take out the fire shutter, since the push rod in the center of the fan operates that part. Sometimes the fan needs to be reseated. If it rubs against the inside of the casing it makes an awful noise that sounds like the machine is tearing itself apart.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2002 10:36 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul,
If you have one I would be glad to pay for it.
I think I will go back into the thing tomorrow, maybe.

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2002 11:16 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey John,
Just reread your post and yes my blades are bent. They seem to have been used on a lamphouse without a dowser because both blades have burn marks on them which stressed the metal and thus warped them. I wonder if they are like out of balance or just too wobbly?
That would explain why it is silent when the blades are removed.
Anyway I did straighten then and I hadn't noticed much of a difference. As far as the framer goes, this one uses the chain which is pretty loose. Anyway thats enough for now.
keep up the advice as I am going thruough quite a learning curve right now.
Thanks!

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-22-2002 11:28 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, this might sound stupid, but if the projector is making a "Munching" sound, check the main drive. See if it is running off-center. If it is, there is a strong possibility that the safety sheer key is ready to fail. The slight binding ricocets through the projector gear train, and it'll give shutter bounce, (or pulsating travel ghost if the shutter shafts are sloppy) and all kinds of other weird indications.

Lots of people forget the sheer key is there....until it fails..

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2002 11:48 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that you mention it they are not quite centered when the unit is off. I set it up so that when its running it centers itself.
But heres the deal with that, the gear assembly I have has the following pieces to it, starting from oil cap to end:
Shaft, washer, bearing, washer, gear (marked Simplex, black plastic), shaft. How many washers are there supposed to be and should there be one between the inside gear and the frame of the BX housing?
Now, on the 9030, could you describe the parts in order from retaining clip all the way thruogh to constant speed sprocket.
I have checked the PDF file on a 9030 thats on this forums manual section and as far as I can tell everything is there. When the projector is running the soundhead drive gear will move in and out about 1/8" . As far as adjusted the gear mesh what is the proper proceedure?
Anyway, thanks for the help so far.

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: