Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Building your own lamphouse

Author Topic: Building your own lamphouse
John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2002 05:33 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading about Sam Hunters lamphouse he has built I have decided that I am going to try and build one myself. This is the bulb I was looking at.
Volts 100
Watts 1200
Color Temp 5600
Lumens 110000
Rated Life 750 http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_Description.asp?intProductID=46853
Does this look like a good bulb for this type of project and where might I be able to find a reflector for this? Also, what would it take to power this? Thanks, John

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-20-2002 06:37 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This appears to be an HMI metal halide lamp
Typically the arc gap is to long for a Xenon style reflector to gather but to small for most stage lighting ones
Also they are an AC arc so unless you use a square wave ballast you will have beat flicker
Also by the time you build all of that you could buy a good used xenon system

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2002 07:45 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon may be right about cost.
That Dichroic filter I bought cost about 110 bucks and with all the little extras I had to get I probably spent 300 bucks. After all this I found a nice Christie for 350 bucks. Anyway, I like to experiment and I learned a lot in the process. But hey if it works then I guess it will be worth it.
The only reason I used the heat filter was due to how close the lamp was to the apeture and I was afraid it would get too hot so I erred on the side of caution. I decided to use the EKD bulb mainly because of the lumens, and filament type for the reasons Gordon mentioned. The color temp is a little below SMPTE standards but its higher than what the ELC's in Eikis are so I figured what the hell, better than nothing. I will admit that I could have gone simpler on my project but then that wouldn't be any fun.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2002 08:54 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anybody needs a 7" round heat filter let me know.

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: