Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Manuals for RCA TP66?

Author Topic: Manuals for RCA TP66?
Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2002 10:10 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I managed to acquire two RCA TP66's with the multiplexer and the ikegami camera. Anyone out there have any kind of documentation for this system? Looks like all I am missing is the waveform monitor from the camera cabinet.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2002 06:55 PM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the full TP-66 manual with assembly diagrams and circuit schematics. Is anyone interested in this for the manuals page?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-25-2002 06:05 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Please send it in and we'll add it to the archives for the masses.

pdf files to: manuals@film-tech.com

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2002 03:39 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warning, Brad!

I, too have a manual for the TP-66. There are several versions of this series of projector, and several manuals. Also, it is a big one.

Bruce... Not trying to cause problems.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-25-2002 04:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
When you finish chugging that bottle, send your version in and we'll put them both up.

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2002 12:36 AM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet Bruce never shares his drink... just keeps it all for himself!

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2002 09:13 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(hick)

I've got no way to scan this manual. It is for a certain serial number group. It's almost an inch and a half thick!

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-08-2009 01:25 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 2323 days since the last post.

Scott Smith
Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2009 01:25 PM      Profile for Scott Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce or Bill,

Do you still have the TP-66 manuals? I could use a copy, which I would be happy to pay for.

--Scott Smith

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-08-2009 05:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

As you may know I used to service alot of TP-66's when I worked in Broadcast in Chicago. They are not all that great of machine personally... reliable but kinda hard on film and definately not kind to old acetate prints that may have some damage. The Pic Clear units typically used on those projectors I believe were responsable for scratching more prints than than any other aspect. So if yours has one beware of it if you ever use it and change the pads after every reel. Film Guard and associated cleaning media works alot better and is far safer. My favorite Film Chain projector was the Eastman 25 version... which as you know from working with JAmes is a much higher grade machine but not as common. Chicago was mainly an RCA town. A few stations... Channel 7... had an Ikegami projector and camera.

Mark

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2009 06:53 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had RCA TP-66's at channel 5 in Cleveland in the mid-60's. (They were an "all RCA station") Those TP-66's sure were fast starting.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-09-2009 10:33 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fast starting was the whole idea in a film chain as you had to go from still frame to speed like now. There was a sound drum solenoid to start the drum rolling so the sound would not wow.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2009 11:45 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow a thread of mine gets bumped after 7 years. I ended up selling off the machines I had. One machine, the multiplexer and camera went to a fellow film-techer who I believe re-sold it to a 16mm collector. The other machine and all of the manuals I managed to acquire went to another 16mm collector. You might want to contact him to see if you can arrange for a copy to be made. Contact Wayne Tuell at http://www.16mmdrive-infilms.com/

Scott Smith
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2009 01:13 PM      Profile for Scott Smith   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thread that won't die! Thanks all for the replies.

Sean: I'll check with the guy you mentioned.

Mark: Yeah, I'm well aware of the issues with the film handling, as well as the Pic-Clear problems, We are obviously going for speed here, not for quality [Frown] They're still a cut above the usual run-of-the mill Elmos and Eiki's, though.

I have used the Eastman's in the past as well, which are definitely superior, but a bit harder to find.

However, if anyone knows of any Eastman telecine units lurking out there, let me know.

Thanks,
--Scott

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2009 12:11 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hated those pic-clear units. They caused the tension arms on the TP-66 to really go high. My TV station destroyed more cartoon reels on them.

I still have the manuals around the pile here for the 66. I need to dig them out.

I have 2 machines of my own now. One is a really old one with the round RCA logo allover it, and the other is one that was bought by my TV station new less than a year before they stopped using 16mm. It has less than 100 hours of use on it. They paid around $80k for this machine.

My manual covers both of them, but not entirely.

And I agree with the others about their being rough on film. But, compared to the old TP-6's that they replaced, they were pussycats with sharp claws.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: