Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Buying Dolby SR chips (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Buying Dolby SR chips
Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 10-10-2002 09:28 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Is there anywhere that one can buy dolby NR chips?

Josh

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-10-2002 11:04 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since devices using Dolby NR usually have their logo on it I would hazard a guess that you must be a licensee of Dolby Laboratories Licensing Corporation to obtain the chips.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 10-11-2002 12:01 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmmmm.....

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-11-2002 02:44 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Josh heard that the SR/NR cards were using home entertainment "S" chips. I don't know how true this is, but I think he wants the non-household chips if that is what they are.....or at least upgraded ones.

I seriously doubt if they could be obtained from anywhere other than Dolby Labs. Josh, if they are solder-in chips, better make sure you have the right equipment to do the job if you are fortunate enough to "land" some. It might be cheaper to upgrade to state-of-the-art cards, and find a buyer for the old cards you have. I suggest you find out what your cards are worth on the fair market and act accordingly. I never looked inside the cards, so I really don't know what is in them. I don't have the equipment or facilities to work on them anyway.

With the new and improved version of the chips, (if there are any) beware of other circuit changes that might have been necessary to make them work.

Remember....Screwdriver getwitzen and gerfingerpolkin make for sparkin und spitzen...

I swiped the idea out of the PRO-35 manual.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-11-2002 09:05 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby is using consumer NR chips? In what? Not in its Cinema Processors, one would hope?! What's this all about?

Frank

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-11-2002 11:25 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In one word NO
You need to be a license of Dolby
Anyway the chips by them selves would not help as there is a lot of circuitry around them that is protected by several patents

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-11-2002 11:51 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank said:
quote:
"Dolby is using consumer NR chips? In what? Not in its Cinema Processors, one would hope?!"

Frank, I am with you on this one.

Apparently, he is not happy with the sound of them. If the modules sound like companders, maybe there is another problem with the CP-55 or he has some really old modules. What do you think?

Maybe he wants them to build something himself. In that case, Gordon is on target.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 10-11-2002 05:20 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I was thinking of implementing a set of encoder and decoder chips in one of my 1/4" tape decks, theoretically.

JJ

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-11-2002 06:40 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rip apart an old cassette deck. It probably has what you need. I just tossed one in the dumpster, but I'll fish it out for you.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 10-11-2002 08:38 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the only drawback of that is you will have dolby B NR, which sucks ass.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-11-2002 09:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby A type encode decode cat 360 serries are on ebay all the time
get those instead

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-11-2002 10:30 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is a derry? It is not in my dictionary.
Michael

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2002 09:57 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, the Dolby Cat222/SR card does indeed use the "Dolby S" chips, which were originally developed for home entertainment products. The S-type chip is an LSI analog chip which provides a single level of noise reduction. The 222/SR card uses two S-type chips in series (per channel) to try to emulate the SR process, which actually uses three levels of NR. The 222SR also makes use of some shortcuts to reduce circuit compexity which results in some audible abberations. AFAIK there is only one version of this chip - no upgrades.

In contrast, the Cat280, Cat300 and Cat350 cards all use a near identical circuit that uses discrete ciruitry and which is "real" SR.

IMHO the Dolby SR process is one of Ray Dolby's finest achievements. The Cat280 is a masterpiece of design. It is a real shame that the 222SR card was ever allowed to see the light of day.

------------------
Ray Derrick
President/Chief Engineer
Panalogic Corporation Sydney, Australia
Phone: 61 (0)2 9894 6655 Fax: 61 (0)2 9894 6935

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-12-2002 01:00 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been officially in this industry for 35 years now, and I still learn something new practically every day. Thanks for the information, Ray.

I had no idea Dolby used the "S" chips.

Personally, I always thought the Eprad StarBelch sounded better than the CP-55. Maybe I have been around turbine engines too long and it ruined my ears.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-12-2002 01:20 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
paul said" had no idea Dolby used the "S" chips"
I think you will find it has been brought up a lot on the site regarding the 222sr/a card

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: