Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Overhead channel (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Overhead channel
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-10-2002 03:43 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby and Todd-AO/Soundelux have introduced their overhead channel solution:
here

What do you think?
As far as I know, this is not the first ceiling channel experiment. But I do not recall where I heard about earlier systems.
Michael

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-10-2002 05:14 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ceiling surrounds are somewhat of an interesting idea. In fact, you can hear "ceiling-only" surround in many AMC Theaters locations. Just a big blob of sound in front and some on the top of your head!

It is kind of disappointing Dolby Labs is simply trying to merge this concept into the existing Dolby Digital Surround EX model. I can understand it from an aspect of cost control. But really, the 5.1 systems for commercial theaters are out of date and need to move onto a next generation system.

The 10.2 Surround format promoted by guys like Tomlinson Holman has provisions for two ceiling surround channels, along with three discrete surrounds for the left, right and back walls. That, combined with 5 stage channels and 2 LFE channels, make 10.2 a very formidable concept. It would certainly humble most any home theater surround system.

However, ceiling surrounds have one big drawback. How do you incorporate them into the typically flimsy drop ceilings of many movie theaters and get the speakers installed between all those air conditioning ducts and other stuff?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-10-2002 05:27 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where do I find information on Mr Holman`s 10.2 concept? Yes, I know, I could google it out myself, but maybe you have already sifted through all the links and can point me to the best ones.
Michael

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-10-2002 05:29 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having your surrounds in the ceiling is an old idea. A few theatres
in Los Angeles had their surrounds in the ceiling, before being mounted on the side walls. The National, Avco theatres in Westwood,
The Fine Arts, Lido Theatres in Beverly Hills area. The Vogue Theatre
in Hollywood. And before the remodel at the Century Plaza Theatres.
In New York the Loew's Astor Plaza Theatre.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2002 07:24 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you want 10.2 channels if you're going to store the digital info on the print, as with Dolby Digital and SDDS. It would require far more compression which would cause more audio degregation than the extra channels would gain in performance.

Besides, aside from a few effects films, you know that they're not going to discretely mix those extra channels. Half the time, they don't even mix into the Surrounds today.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-10-2002 09:14 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Dolby Digital) 5.1 uses the space between sprocket holes on one side of the film. 10.2 could use the space on both sides of the film and use the same compression rates, if not better.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-10-2002 09:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many older 70mm and cinemascope stereo theatres had ceiling mounted surround speakers. Also, Todd-AO used a form of EX long before Dolby came out with it. In the case of Todd A-o the 3 surround channels came form a perspecta encoded surround track.
Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-10-2002 11:53 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Naturally, any 10.2 Surround system (as well as any new surround sound format for commercial movie theaters) will be developed as a separate "dual system". People may want uncompressed 20-bit 48kHz LPCM digital sound or some lossless compressed format like MLP used instead of the lossy systems employed by DD, DTS and SDDS.

Sound on film systems will never be able to deliver this kind of thing. Cinema Digital Sound was the closest to it, using 5.1 channels at an incredibly high bitrate.

There is really little problem at all with dual systems (such as DTS, Sonics or any other special venue digital sound format). They are proven to work and proven to be more reliable than any sound on film printed system. The only drawback I see is not having all the movie trailers available to play in digital sound. But that is not really a huge loss.

Dolby Digital, using its current bitrate and printing method, could easily accomodate 10.2 Surround by printing a second DD sountrack in between the perfs on the right edge of the filmstrip. It would double the number of channels and double the overall bitrate.

SDDS is pretty much maxed out on what it can do.

DTS time code could theoretically be used to drive any kind of sound format since the media and hardware are separate from the film print.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 12:06 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Additional ceiling mount "older" theatres I've seen: NYC: Ziegfeld (still visible, but not working); Northpoint, SF; Music Hall (pre-triplexing), Bruin (still visible), Cinema Valley Plaza, Bakersfield, and an old GCC twin in Hayward, CA (Southland, perhaps?).

These surround speakers always had round openings, and resembled the type you see mounted in many stores with suspended ceilings.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 07:53 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: What Daryl and Bobby said about DD using the inboard area between perfs:

Dolby already has the rights to that space for future use

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-11-2002 08:26 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cantor Theatre at the Brooklyn Museum still uses ceiling surrounds (unfortunately). As Bill points out, it is not a new idea, but it certainly is a bad one give the quality of speaker that's available for that type of installation. I remember the ceiling surround presentations at the Ziegfield. It wasn't impressive.

As for 10.1....SDDS hardly ever creates special 8 channel mixes that use the full 8 that it's capable of. It's really a matter of cost. Those kinds of additional mixes for nonstandard configurations don't come for free, and given the number of theatres that would spring for the additional amps and speakers, it really seems a 10.1 system would languish on the designer's drawing board. After all, the original 70mm configurations had 5 channels behind the screen and we know how fast they dropped two of them. The trend is to create one mix that can be used for everything, not multiple mixes for different theatre configurations.

Then you also have to ask yourself, where is the point of no return? When is it that the average movie-goer -- you know, the ones with only two ears -- stop being impressed by the number of channels that the system is capable of reproducing, given the fact that you can easily create 360 degree sound with the simplest 3 in front and 3 in rear configuration, unless you are talking about the big movie palace size theatres which are gone forever. Besides, if a movie is really good, the general public is fairly oblivious to the number of surround channels -- they are paying attention to what's in front of them, IMHO.

And what's with that name? It sure looses something in the translation. They aren't going to capture the imagination of the public with such a goofy moniker: "Sonic Whole Overhead Sound." That's good for unrelenting jokes by Leno and Letterman.

Frank

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 12:36 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few other factors as well which would not favor 10.2 reproduction:

- Many films today are simply marketing exercises for the DVD release, which is 5.1.

- I seem to remember research that the Russians did in the 1960's or 70's which maintained that listeners could not perceive additional channels beyond six or so. I think there was a translated book on this subject.

- If you believe in the THX concept of a largely diffuse sound field, especially in the surrounds (and as designed by Tomlinson Holman), you have to wonder what the extra channels are going to get you. I haven't read the papers (if there are any) on the subject, but it surprises me that the same guy who pushed for diffuse sound fields in theatres is also the guy who is pushing for 10.1 channels.

In home systems, THX certified speakers are specifically designed not to interact with the floor or ceiling. If you were add another channel or two for overheads, you'd be interacting with the ceiling. And even if those overheads do get you something, is the cost/benefit ratio worth it, just to get a bomb or aircraft sounding like it's coming from above?

- As per previous comments, my count (which could well be inaccurate) shows about 40 films in Dolby Digital EX, 10 in DTS-ES, and about 60 in SDDS-8 channel. although relatively few in recent years.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 12:50 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I heard somewhere that there is a problem with overhead speakers because the sound hits the floor and reflects back up. This didn't make much sense to me (seeing as how the floor is covered with seats and all), but I'm wondering if it really is a concern.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 01:03 PM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the "10.2" expression derived from ? L Le C Re R Ls Rs Bs and Tops + sub = 10 - what's the .1 ? If SRD is 5.1 (really 6 tracks) and DTS is 5.1 (5 full range tracks plus a derived sub from the surrounds) what is the 0.2 in ceiling surrounds ?

Given that bass is less directional than treble, would it not be a good thought in todays tile ceiling cinemas to install only the Ceiling surround horns in the ceiling and the bass at the top of the side and rear walls ?

Try matrixing off existing systems and prints, eg use the extra surround (i.e. the out of phase output on the SA10, Smart, whatever) output ? One big disadvantage - under no circumsatces could you have all surround channels going at once. For instance if there was an explosion effect at the rear or all around the audience only one channel would be able to play this track.. If Ls + rs play it it would go to Bs, or if you wanted the ceiling too (say an overhead effect) then Ls Rs and Bs would be silent .. Also you'd need more than before seperate level controls for the stalls and circle as the stalls ceiling would be a lot lower than the circle.. Delay could also be an issue in theatres with high ceilings at the front - the ceiling surround could hit the front viewers from the rear before they get the sound from above them , sounding like it was part of the Bs track..

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 02:28 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter,

10.2 channel designation is as follows;

L, Le, C, Re, R, LS, BS, RS, Ceiling Surr Ch1, Ceiling Surr Ch2, (=10)
+ 2 separate incomplete range Sub Channels (.2)

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: