Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Install DTS6D with DA20 on CP55 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Install DTS6D with DA20 on CP55
Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2002 09:46 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

can anyone help me out here.

I've installed a DTS6D onto a DA20 this morning, into a CP55. It all works fine BUT, there's always a but... how do you wire it in so that the audio will switch in this manner...

DTS has audio if valid time code....
Drops to SRD if no time code or reversion
Drops to SR if NO valid DTS or SRD.
Switches back as valid data is restored.

I've spoken to DTS here in the UK and we have not been able to find a solution. If I want DTS I have to turn off the DA20 to allow the auxillary audio input to pass thru to the CP55. There is nothing in the manual that explains the setup.

What's needed is a means of telling the DA20 to pass thru the DTS audio to the CP55 while DTS timecode is valid, irrespective of their being valid SRD. If not then pass SRD audio to CP55.
Regards Ken.

|  IP: Logged

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2002 10:10 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've spoken to Dolby UK and they say there is no easy way to do what I want!!!

So how about an interface board that switches the audio output from the DA20 or DTS6D into the CP55, also to break the DA20 control line so that SRD cannot revert to SR if DTS is playing!!
This way the DA20 can 'think' what it likes... as long as there is valid DTS the interface relays remain on and audio from the DTS is passed into the CP55. Also while there is Valid DTS the DA20 control line is broken so it cannot switch formats UNLESS it is the active format at the time.

However, IF DTS does revert the interface relays will switch off, allowing SRD audio to pass thru into the CP55. At the same time the control line will be restored and SR reversion is once again possible.

When valid DTS is restored the interface will switch in passing DTS audio into the CP55, at the same time breaking the control line.

(Breaking & enabling the control line is very important as I don't want reversion to SR if SRD drops out whilst valid DTS is playing)

Hope this makes some sense to you all.

I could always do it the lazy way and just turn off the DA20 when we are running DTS, reversion to SR would be there as required. However I would lose SRD for the rest of the show which I'd rather not do. Also, its another thing for the duty projectionist to remember to setup....

I'd like to make it a matter of disk in,lace up and run.

I've seen this working on a CP500 but as the CP55 only has one 6 channel input it's not simple.

All comments welcome.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-07-2002 11:25 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For such a solution, it would be necessary to have constant information on the status of the dts-6D rather than just the on/off pulses. On the automation output, there is a voltage between two pins (I don`t know by heart which two, you will have to look it up) which is grounded when dts is playing and +4V (+5V?) when it`s not. This continuous status information was originally intended to switch the subwoofer channel of an upgraded analogue processor into digital mode. There must be a relay inside the DA20 to switch the external input bypass (again, the manual is just a few meters away, but I am too lazy to get up now, so you will have to look that up yourself too). You could use the status voltage from the dts-6D to operate that relay. Or you construct an external interface as you suggested yourself. For both ideas, the status voltage is the key to the solution.
For inspiration, you should check the SDDS tech-notes. If you install a dts-6D with a DFP-D3000, this signal is used to give the DFP constant feedback on the status of dts.
Michael

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2002 11:35 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael

thanks for that, armed with your info I'll dig a little deeper into the DA20 manual and see what I can find. The DTS was never the problem... the DA20 pass thru is so it's finding how to switch the pass thru relay via the DTS.

It seemed such a simple idea at first but its starting to get more complicated......

I'll get back to you if I can't find what I'm looking for.

Reagrds Ken

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-07-2002 12:40 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did something like what you are doing on the CP-65. I used a D567 board for the DTS-6D audio...feed the DA-20 into the D567 as well so the D-567 arbitrates the audio part. Then there is the logic aspect. The D564 has a relay on it to block the DA-20 from selecting SR so long as the DTS is sending digital.

My guess is that this will work for you but you will have to make some of your own cables...and link the D564's output to the board the D565 (CP-55 logic interface) via a pin-pin 25 pin Dsub cable.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2002 01:00 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,

I'd seen the diagram in the manual, but the DTS UK guy I was speaking to suggested there may be a problem with doing it that way.

I don't exactly know what the problem was, seems it can be troublsome at times? He's sent off for some more info so I hope to get some clarification on this.

The whole issue revolves around controling the DA20 pass thru connector. But all of the manuals I'm looking at are very unhelpful on this aspect.

I'll check out the conector you're talking about, got one anyway, and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-07-2002 02:03 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should work but, as I said, you will be needing to make some of your own cables. For instance, the 5V to pull in the relays on the D567...you will need the 5V and the "/DTS" signal on the automation connector.

Steve

------------------

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2002 02:13 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again Steve,

I was only passing on what I'd been told and had not yet been able to confirm it. When I get in tomorrow I'll start to play and see what I can work out. Making leads etc is not a problem it's just time, isn't it always

If I have to I'll turn the DA20 off when running DTS and let it reverts to SR....but thats not an option long term as far as I'm concerned. When I make my mind up to do something I'll not rest until I've done it

If you fancy hopping on a plane you'd be very welcome...

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-07-2002 02:40 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
What exactly do you mean by "the D567 board ARBITRATES the audio part"? The 5V is the same output I was referring to, I assume. Should it be used to pull the relay on D564 or is it controlled by dts`s on/off pulse? I am not familiar with that board.
Michael

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-07-2002 03:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Warning Ken, the DA20's input does NOT accept subwoofer! You will have to work around this as well.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2002 03:39 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Brad, I am aware of that from the manuals but it's nice to be reminded as in the heat of the moment it's easy to start chasing around when something don't work right.... when in fact it is!!! It'll be a few days by the time I get around to fully finalising the install and could easily have let it slip my mind. We are running 'Big Fat Greek Wedding' in the screen which is SR only so there is no hurry, at least until Friday that is.

I'll be checking back on the postings to keep me right.

The system is installed and working, I make my own mounting brackets for the reader, and I ran 'Red Drangon' thru this morning and it was fine, there was no reversion to SR setup but it didn't drop out anyway. DTS time code is very robust and has a nice long allowence before it reverts, so it seldom does.

All I really have to finalise is the input or output switching, automation, which is not a problem and a quick b-chain on the DTS.
Oh and in between I'll be busy around the building doing the usual maintenace, ordering, dealing with staff issues and contractors. Tons of time to spare

But I'm sure I'll be looking for more help if I run into problems

Regards Ken.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2002 04:02 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always tell people to turn off the digial system not needed for the feature. There is probably a way to modify the DA10/20 to allow DTS as the primary source and DD as the secondary. You would have to consult with Dolby about modifying their equipment.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2002 04:38 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now Karen.... Dolby Is King and when you ask them how you can use an inferior format as primary format over theirs you know you can expect them to be very helpful

I have settled on one of two ways to achive what I want... I can try to use/modify the interface card for the CP65 as Steve has suggested, but that won't allow for the DTS Sub to be controled by the DA20...

Or, and this seems to be the way I may have to go as it will switch all channels, is to make an interface that switches the output of the DTS and DA20 into the CP55, controled by the DTS itself.

It's not practical to start trying to modify the DA20 and I'd not be happy trying... one slip and no SRD and that would put a smile on at least one persons face that I know.

Whatever I end up doing will have to be external to the DA20 and the DTS6D. It will have to give full functionality and be reliable and require NO setting up apart from inserting the DTS disk. It should give two stage fallback and recovery!

I have no doubt I'll get it done, I'm just seeing if there are any easier ways... Turning off the DA20 should NOT be an option. Maybe DTS should consider this and come up with something that can be easily manufactured and be available to your customers. I can't for one moment believe this is an unreasonable or rare request.

Not knocking DTS at all... just so you know

Reagrds Ken.

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-07-2002 05:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off...this is something I HAVE done (but on a CP-65)

When I say the D567 arbitrates the audio I mean just that...when the D567 board pulls in (via the +5 and /DTS lines on the automation cable) the DTS gets full access to the Digital input on the host processor (CP-55 in this case).

The above also solves the sub not being switched through (though I believe the SUB is switched on those DA-20s that have the Cat. 611A ...there is a 4th relay on it).

The other board, the D564, has the relay to block the DA-20 from selecting SR when it drops out. You will need to pick up the +5 and /DTS signals from it sinc it will be connected to the DTS-6D first.

So lets look at the various combinations of events...

The trailers pick up Dolby Digital and the DA-20 gets all excited and selects "AUX" on the CP-55...the D567 board is not on since the DTS is not playing so the DA-20's signal is passed through and the CP-55 plays the DA-20's audio...all's well.

Then the next advert is only analog...the DA-20 seltects SR...no problem there.

Then we get another Dolby Digital preview and "click" we are back on the DA-20 (see above for the logic and signal path).

Now the feature starts...it is in DTS...the discs start a whirring and the magic green "DIGITAL" LED comes on and "click" the D567 and D564 boards both activate...the DA-20's signal is replaced by the DTS signal and the DA-20 "sees" the "AUX" button get pressed again but since it is in digital..what does it care it still thinks it is running the show.

So now we are in DTS. But hey some dufus at the lab didn't catch that the lamp that exposes the DTS track was off and the track disappears so the DTS player reverts to SR by dropping out the two boards (D567 and D564) and "presses" the "SR" button but since the D564 dropped out the DA-20 sees that so it scratches it's microchips and presums operator error and reselects "AUX."

We are now in Dolby Digital. The next reel is fine so the DTS player reaquires it's time code and just like before...steals the Digital input away from Dolby.

Now we are in DTS...R-3 comes up and since someone made a horrible splice, the DA-20 wants to drop out...but the D564 board blocks the SR pulse from reaching the hapless CP-55 and the DTS plays on...

Dolby reaquires and selects Digital (where it already is) and none is the wiser.

What the above example demonstrates is that either digital or both may be running without interferring with the other. The priority is given to the DTS unit since it is last in the signal and logic paths...they made the interface boards, they should get some bonus points!

Steve

------------------

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2002 05:38 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe Steve thanks for a very amusing post.

I'm going to spend time exploring your suggestion don't worry about that. Your explanation is exactly what I envisaged and should work! thats down to me to get it togeather... I really do appreciate your time.

It sure beats the 'turn off the DA20' advice given so far.... again not knocking anyone.

I'll keep you informed as to how I get on over the next few days.

Thanks again....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: