Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong Platter Slowdown and Stop (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Strong Platter Slowdown and Stop
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-06-2002 01:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have to motor our leaders down to the splcie since we do not have a start cue. When we stop the motor the Strong platter doesn't stop smoothly enough and ends up pulling on and stretching the leader and also bending rollers out of alignment (bottom magazine roller). Is there anything that can be done to improve this situation?

|  IP: Logged

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2002 02:19 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about, at showtime, starting the motor manually and starting the automation as the splice passes?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-06-2002 02:46 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that is kind of a solution, but what if the STOP button must be pressed at some point due to some other problem? Damaged film! I hate vacuum cleaner motors. Way more torque than necessary.

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2002 02:56 PM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The suggestion that Jeffrey made is the only option that I know of. I have see theatres mark all their leaders with a piece of opaque yellow splicing tape at the point where the automation cycle should be started. They would press the button when the tape entered the top of the projector head.

Me, I have Century's and a mixture of Strong/Potts at my big theatre. They all have this problem when there isn't much film on the take up deck. After 30 minutes or so you can usually stop the system with no problems, but at the start you are going to have this problem.

Even though a lot of people here hate it...and some even go as far as to mildly insult those who do it calling them "unprofessional", "poorly trained", people who have "no business in the booth", I thread up differently at Strong equipped theatres....I let the leader touch that no-no void called the floor. I was union trained from my childhood on, and I know this is not desired, but I have never had any dirt issues, and I think the ill effects from this practice (at least in my case)are greatly exaggerated. I am very good at limiting the amount on the floor since I thread from platter to projector to platter and then turn the rewind deck until the start of the programme is at the correct position to actually start the projector minus 1.5 feet of slack that will get used in the lace-up of the projector itself. Then I thread the projector, letting that 1.5 feet or so touch the floor. Then I get the take up platter ready removing the slack.

I do motor down at theatres with platters that can handle it.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-06-2002 04:15 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stop my Strong platters by standing behind the projector and hitting the stop button (actually emergency stop button if I'm stopping a threaded projector that's running) and reaching to the left and grabbing the take-up deck at the same time. Works pretty good, easy to do and doesn't damage any film.

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2002 04:33 PM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a good way to stop them if you don't have to lean too far...lest your necktie or other clothing or bodily appendages get caught in the machinery!

You can also just turn off the rewind platter. The machine will stop pretty quick.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-06-2002 04:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Got any interlock accumulators?

Probably your easiest way to solve this is to order the larger 19" center rings. (Note 19" is Christie's standard ring size) Those teeny tiny Strong rings force the platter to really blast away at the speed upon startup. Using the larger rings will make starting easier on the platter (and the film that will wrap on payout) as well as allow you to stop the projector without crashing the platter's elevator and bending your guidance rollers out of alignment. Strong really should make these the default ring, and only ship the smaller rings (that come standard with the platters) for trailer work upon special order.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-06-2002 04:42 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film left in the elevator gives me enough time to take a couple steps towards the platter if I need to. Actually turning the take-up deck switch to off isn't really an option, by the time I jump through the film going to and from the projector it would be too late. Plus the deck still has just enough momentum to do some damage. Never found too much stuff on the back of a console or any lamphouse to get my clothing caught in (and I don't want to try getting caught either).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-06-2002 04:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what advantage letting the leader hit the floor would impose. There is really no reason for me to do that. I think Brad's suggestion about the larger rings is probably the best one. I bet Strong does this on purpose so that everyone wants to buy the larger ring and then they make even more money from you. Just a guess. But really, why would anyone design a ring so small as standard issue in the first place? I mean it is really small. Problem is my theater chain might not want to spend the money on the newer rings. I bet that they are not cheap.

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2002 05:09 PM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl: I meant just to turn off the rewind platter until the film goes slack! Hardly orthodox, but works like a charm! My automation will even close the chageover, switch to nonsync, lights, etc immediately.

Brad: I didn't even think about the larger rings. They just might help the problem of the the platters STOPPING without the trolley slamming against the top of its rails. I have never had any STARTING issues though.

Joe: It helps by lacing as you would at a changeover house...with the appropriate countdown number in the gate so you don't have to motor down after the machine is laced.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2002 05:16 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've worked with Strong & christie platter but mostly with Kinoton...

You NEVER have the problem with Kinoton as there is no way the platter can go from zero to full speed like the Strong & Christie can. Thats one of the reasons I hate them....

Brad's suggestion seems to be the best low tech remedy... that way the motors won't get up to such highs revs.... but you'll still have to keep a close eye on it. One other solution... do your motors run off inverters or are they 'as supplied'.

If you have inverters you could always slow the run down time to accomodate the platter.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-06-2002 05:45 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe -- why not just get some old junk trailers and semi-permanently wind them around your current center rings to increase their diameter? The disadvantage, of course, compared with the proper large rings would be that you will need to attach the leader with tape or something when threading and the ring (with film on it) will be harder to remove, but that's still better than damaging your leaders every time you thread up. If your platters really are brand-new, though, perhaps Strong will do an exchange for the large rings.

Wes: in changeover booths, I usually thread to the first part of the leader that has framelines marked on it and then motor down to "8" or whatever works best for that particular machine. That avoids excessive handling of the leader and makes it easier not to let the leader touch the floor (which I admit that I still do when working with platters). The only exception would be with Kinoton machines, where there is (by default, anyway) no way to run the motor without striking the lamp; in that case, I do thread to the starting frame to save some lamp life.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-06-2002 05:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Wes,

The larger rings definitely work, as I have a couple and have tried them. As far as either ring not taking up, that has never been a problem. The startup issue I speak of is the film wrapping around the brain a few times (thus, wrapping on itself causing damage) until it gets up to speed. Using the large rings satisfies both issues.

Also, I say this because you keep posting bad tips, which tends to destroy the whole benefit of these forums. Lacing on the start frame may be convenient for changeover houses, but that is precisely why reel changes look so bad. This is NOT "film done right". All caring operators thread up on the leader and then motor down to the start point, making sure there is ample leader for the protection of the film (not just what is supplied). The CA21 automation even has a cueing feature built in for just this purpose! I know you don't believe in anything I or the good people here tell you, but I assure you that your presentation could be bettered if you would break your bad habits. It's sort of like seeing changeover cues or the CAP code or even seeing FilmGuard in action for the first time. Until you see the distraction or difference for the first time, you honestly don't notice the problem (and as such refuse to believe there is anything wrong with the presentation). Once you see the difference, any less than perfect presentation will from that point on drive you crazy. The film damage and dirt you claim to not have IS there, you just don't see it. I as well as many other people on this forum would see it though. Come visit me sometime and I'll point everything out to you at a less-than-ideal local theater and destroy your typical moviegoing experiences for the rest of your life.

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2002 06:35 PM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think "film done right" is personal thing and will vary from person to person. I think no one here is perfect, nor does anyone here have a perfect projection room.

My booth runs nicely. I have been around such things for 20 years, am a qualified tech with install experience and I think I have applied what I have learned...the good and the bad...in such a way that I am quite satisfied with my presentations.

You say "...I say this because you keep posting bad tips, which tends to destroy the whole benefit of these forums."

I say that is another veiled insult. I am not a know-it-all, and have never claimed that any of my procedures for accomplishing something in the booth are the BEST or the ONLY RIGHT WAY as you and others sometimes not so mildy push. I think deciding whether something I say is a "bad tip" or not is up to the reader. The reader can choose to apply the tip or not.

You say: "All caring operators thread up on the leader and then motor down..."

I say there are plenty of "caring operators" that do things completely different from other operators. Not just concerning this subject of booth operation, but concerning every aspect of theatre operation.

You say: "I know you don't believe in anything I or the good people here tell you..."

I say WOW! You claim to know even more than I previously thought! You know things about my emotions and beliefs that I wasn't even aware of myself. Seriously, I have learned a LOT from these forums. But I am lucky enough to have been in and around this business long enough to separte the BS from what I really want....what I think are the "bad tips" from the good ones.

You say "The film damage and dirt you claim to not have IS there, you just don't see it. I as well as many other people on this forum would see it though."

I say one more time that I am no know it all, but I am also no amateur. I NEVER said that my presentation was perfect. I do not need to be tutored in something that is second nature to me. My definition of a perfect screen presentation is not possible with current technologies ANYWHERE. I simply think that my presentation is good the way it is.

Anyhow, thanks for the info on the 19inch rings. I knew they were around but no one I know had ever used any. I might get a couple for trailer changes and such.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-06-2002 07:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not going to break down your response line by line with examples, although it would be easy just from your posts over the last 90 days. As it is over the last few months, you are the standout member who has been posting bad information. I don't think you have ever posted quality tips, but I'm not going to waste my time to try and go back and read every post to see if that statement is completely accurate or not. However, it seems every time you post a tip, it is nothing more than a lazy man's shortcut or an argument as to why someone can get away with being sloppy or refusal to believe that a technique that is being discussed is damaging the film. Enough is enough and I don't care if you know how to install a projector or not. Finding a tech who TRULY cares about film handling is just as hard as finding a theater that takes care of their films. The sad fact is that most techs (no matter how good they are at installing and repairing) are sloppy operators and it's pretty obvious to me that you are not one of the exceptions. I have zero respect for anyone who does not do everything in their power to treat their films in the best possible manner.

The problem Wes is the newbies here who are trying to learn and improve their presentation don't have the experience to be able to differentiate between the good tips and the bad tips. Remember, there are people who read these forums who have less than a year's projection experience, or even less than a month. Most of them have been trained poorly too and are here to try and improve their presentation any way they possibly can, and you are not helping. I am now asking you politely to cease your comments when you know you are posting information that is less than ideal. You should know better. I never said you or anyone has to do things exactly one certain way, for there are multiple acceptable ways of doing things. However if you cannot differentiate proper techniques vs. "good enough", then you will not be welcome here any longer. That's the nicest I will be regarding this. Your further comments are not necessary and again, I have zero respect for anyone who does not do everything in their power to treat their films in the best possible manner.

Of course today's discussion wouldn't even be an issue if Strong / Potts had put a taller elevator into their design. SPECO modified their original LP270 platter design when these complaints came up. Where's the retrofit kit from Strong?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: