Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Automation & Cue Readers

Author Topic: Automation & Cue Readers
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2002 08:31 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are failsafes/cue detectors universal? Can any one be used with any automation? Or do certain automation manufacturers have failsafes designed to go with their (and only their) automation?

I know CE makes the FM-35 to go with the TA-10, but I've also seen it used with other non-CE automations. Could other cue readers be used with the TA-10?

Some cue readers, like Big Sky, are configured to read a series of cues and send out, on a single line, a number of pulses equal to the number of cues it reads. (At least that's the way I understand it.) Big Sky even says that the automation is designed to operate with their optical cue detector. Could this type of cue reader be made to work with automation that requires cues in the form of inboard/outboard/center? Conversly, could cue readers such as the FM-35 and FP-350 be made to work with Big Sky and similar automations?

The bottom line I'm getting at here is, how universal are cue detectors?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-23-2002 08:47 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used stock FM35's with Component Engineering, CFS, and MegaSystems (Hi-Tech) autos with no problems.

A FM-35 should work fine with just about any other dry-contact capable auto with no troubles, all you have to do is provide it with a +24VDC power supply and wire the dry relay contacts as your auto requires.

I would assume that you could use another (non-FM-35/37) type of failsafe/cue detector with the TA-10 if it provided all the proper contacts (no common grounds) to interface with it. But then again new TA-10s come with a FM-35 from the factory so why bother?

-Aaron

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2002 08:00 AM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The FM35 seems to be the most versatile of the failsafe/cue detectors I've seen -- it works with just about anything, and has additional capabilities should your automation be able to use them. It works just as well with 12V from our CNA automations.

Pat

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2002 08:45 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Big Sky Optical cue readers can be used with virtually any automation system, however it requires the use of an external circuit board (it's very small, about 5 inches square). The circuit board converts the cue pulses (in either "mode", random or sequential) to drive 5v relays that in turn can do anything you desire.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: