Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » MUT plugs

Author Topic: MUT plugs
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-21-2002 06:20 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"WAHHHHH!!!! My MUT's don't work anymore."

Well, managers/operators, they would probably work just fine if you unplug them from the platter mast/motors before you move the damned table. They sheared two of them off slicker than snot on a brass doorknob in my location. The plugs are rendered useless.

The following are suggestions:

1. When new plugs are installed, make a little retro-fit with a Jones Connector quick release. The pigtail only has to be a couple of inches long. This will minimumize damage to the twist lock plugs on the Strong MUT's and any other MUT that has such a configuration.

2. If the MUT does not have a retractable cord, use a couple of Tie-Wraps to strap the cord to the table's leg. When the operators decide the move the table when they are done at their feeble attempt to assemble a print, the tie wraps will prevent the cord from yanking the grommet out of the hole, and ripping the crap out of the MUT's wiring.

Seen it happen, and it is very frustrating.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-21-2002 06:38 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The very early Potts platter had Jones plugs.....
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-21-2002 08:00 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, indeed they do. So does Christie.

The problem with the older Potts and CFS machines is they plug into the motor. Some operators have enough sense to orientate the cord in such a manner that it will not come in contact with the film or other moving parts. Sometimes they tie it around a roller bracket, or anything else that is handy.

Upon completion of the build-up, they forget to untie it, and start shoving the MUT across the booth. That little "jerk" they feel is the plug being snapped out of the wall socket or the pigtail in the variac. Usually it smashes the wall socket, and the plug's grounding pin detaches itself from the plug.

Their ears are not tuned to the ratchet noise in the retractor, either. When it reaches the end, they discover for some reason it is harder to shove the table. So they shove it harder. They yank the wire out of the cord retractor, and if they are lucky, they have not dragged the platter behind them and/or bend the roller bracket.

You just can't win.......

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2002 10:54 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Paul,

I have been watching with interest the postings about makeup and teardown of shows. The common thread to all of them is 'trouble'. The real trouble is that the persons performing the work are pressed to do it faster and faster but not more carefully or more precisely.

You can develop good habits by repeating tasks in the same correct way each time they are performed. When under pressure, only the most critical tasks receive attention. Example: attach head to tail with 4 sprocket holes on each adjoined frame, soundtrack to soundtrack. A little thing like moving the MUT doesn't get much attention and it is probably not done the same way each time.

Haste makes careless waste and necessitates expensive repairs.

The old pipe organ manufacturer had this sign on his wall.."If you have time to do it over, you had time to do it right!"

Soap Box returned to spot under the MUT.
KEN

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-22-2002 12:19 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kenneth, I think I will post that sign on the wall in a banner form. Maybe the operators/managers will read it. I get tired of fixing busted equipment because someone had their head stuffed inside the bottom end of their body.

Thanks for the idea.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2002 04:29 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul
"Slicker than snot on a brass door knob"
I like that!

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2002 11:07 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody mentioned "Jones Plugs"... I think my AW-1 uses them. Most of mine are cracked and need replacement. I looked in the Mouser catalog, but found nothing that resembled an exact match. Does anybody know where I could find the replacement plugs and sockets for an AW-1??

------------------
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-23-2002 01:13 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, Mouser's selection of the Jones Plugs are practically ziltch!

How many pins are in yours, and what is the pin configuration? A picture would help. I have not seen an AW-1 in years, so I don't remember what they have.

One of our electronics stores does stock them, and in the broadcast industry, they are still a common item in radio stations that use the old cart machines.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2002 11:30 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jones plugs and sockets are still stock items at my local electronics jobber (shameless plug: Electronic Resourcing in Tumwater, Wash.).

Jones plugs are also known as Cinch-Jones (TRW-Cinch).

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-24-2002 01:22 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was browsing through the electronics store this afternoon, and was going to pick up some Jones plugs to make some pigtails for the MUTS. Oh, they had them alright --- for 8 bucks a pop! That's highway robbery...I didn't buy any just yet. Maybe Radio Trash has some.

These were the 3-pin connectors, exactly the same as CFS used.

Barry, I think yours are 6 pin, but I am not sure. Maybe 4. If the prices were truthful, you can expect to shell out about 8 bucks or so each.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-24-2002 07:34 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless my memory is mistaken...the original Christie Autowind (1) used an octal plug. A male octal plug at that. Furthermore, it was hot once you plugged in the MUT. The MUT drew it's power from it's own cord, not like the current stuff that gets it's power from the host platter.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-24-2002 01:39 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I don't know. The AW-1 book says a "Jones" plug, but the picture of it is round. I wonder if it is one of those 5 or 6-pin plugs that looks like an Octal?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: