Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 16mm cinemascope attachment

Author Topic: 16mm cinemascope attachment
Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2002 09:42 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any way to use my 2 extra Baush and Laumb Cinemascope 2 attachments on my elmo 16-CL, and how do I do so? This is for my personal viewing so it doesnt have to be perfect, just so i can watch scope prints decently.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-19-2002 10:24 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it should work provided the prime lens is not too short but I think the typical 2" lens ought to "fit through." It's just a matter of creating something to hold it in place. Of course it has to be able to focus down to whatever your throw is. Sometimes the outer ring can be removed and the internal stop filed down so you can focus to a shorter throw.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2002 05:45 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the 16mm guys just build "cradles" that sit in front of the projector to hold their 35mm anamorphics. The lens lays in the cradle. If you're really handy with tools, you can build an adjustable one.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-20-2002 06:50 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A retort stand, boss and clamp, borrowed, or otherwise obtained, from a school or college chemistry lab works well for this.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-21-2002 09:08 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with getting the anamorphic attachment to sit correctly in front of the prime is that, once you achieve this daunting feet, you have to sit and actually watch a 16mm anamorphic image....a very painful experience.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-22-2002 04:03 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They even make 8mm Scope prints, some with 4 channel magnetic sound. It's not true 4 track, it's matrixed onto two tracks, as with 35mm optical.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-23-2002 06:41 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yah, and when they release full S8mm versons (not those "abridged" abortions), they usually cost more than most used 35mm prints of the same title. And from what I understand, people who are into the 8mm format claim the labs that print them, mostly in the UK I think, are top notch, high quality labs and thus the prints evidently look quite impressive (compaired to what, asks I). Not that I am knocking it -- if someone has a passion for film and has chosen to go with film over video, even if it is the 8mm route....hey, more power to him.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2002 02:07 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing against Elmo's in general, but if you've ever used an Eiki with the flip up scope lens mount you'll never use anything else. You can even build up a flat cartoon/trailer/ scope feature show on a reel and just flip it up like turning a turret when you go from the flat trailers to the scope feature with barely a "hiccup". Great design.

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2002 03:51 PM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing against Eiki's in general,
but if you've ever used an Elmo with the flip up scope lens mount you'll never use anything else.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2002 04:21 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God...I wish I'd said that!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-24-2002 07:34 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does any studio still release anamorphic 16mm prints? Or even "letterboxed" flat reductions?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: