Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New curved gate by strong

Author Topic: New curved gate by strong
Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2002 06:26 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if anyone has dealt with putting these to work in older XL's. It's a new part that has adjustment screws on the bottom of the gate above the foot. This allows you to move the Gate shoe independently. The gate is sitting in the proper spot on the film trap but the shoe really does not come close to the intermittent sprocket where it should be. There must be something going on because the tilt adjustment wont even line it up to where it should be. Did the Gate Carriage Assy. Change at some point? Or is the Intermittent Framing Cam Different?
<BR>

<P>The is new style gate notice how the shoe does not fit the intermittent sprocket.
<BR>

<P>This is the old gate style. This is what it should look like.
<BR>

<P>Check the spacing in between the shoes and the gate castings. Notice how the new style gate has more space between the shoes and the casting.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-18-2002 06:33 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes!

The way to go if possible. When Josh and I toured Strong International, Rick demonstrated the proper set-up. It looks just like your first picture, and the space between the shoe is equivilant to one film thickness. If you look on the bottom of the trap shoe, you might see that the sprocket shoe positioning is adjustable.

We were very impressed!

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2002 06:43 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make no mistake. I am irritated about this. Why change the design if it will not be backwards compatible. We are talking about a gate design that has been in operation since the XL was made in the 50's. I have projectors to rebuild that are missing the gate. I am under the impression that Strong Does not manufacture the old style anymore.
So what additional parts do I need to make the new style gate fit the old machines? I will call Strong and find out!!!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-18-2002 07:29 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Why change the design if it will not be backwards compatible. We are talking about a gate design that has been in operation since the XL was made in the 50's."

Randy, it is like this:

A headlight in a 2002 automobile will not fit anything manufactured in the 1950's.

The gate improvments Simplex made over the last several years (Since they acquired Century) was a step in the right direction. I support Strong International on some of their new innovations.

I am happy to see the improvement. Many sprocket shoes are worn out while the machine is running with no film and the traps closed. (Metal-to-Metal with no lubrication) I have also seen XL's, Centurys, Brenkerts, E-7', Supers, and others where a groove has been actually worn in the shoe that acts like a razor blade on the film.

I think Strong International should get an "ATTA BOY" for this one, as this improvement has been needed for years.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-18-2002 07:47 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have retrofitted the new style gate into old XLs with complete sucess. You will have to mill out the gate operator to clear the new shoe bracket...that was the worst part of the whole ordeal.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: