Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » cp500 - format change at c/o

Author Topic: cp500 - format change at c/o
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-16-2002 12:26 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a way to make a CP500 switch formats at the same time as a changeover? In other words, suppose I want to run a mono short on projector #1 and then changeover to a Dolby SR feature on projector #2. Is there a way to get the CP500 to change formats by assigning particular formats to particular projectors (something which I have never tried)? Of course, this would probably require more tinkering with the CP500 during the first reel of the feature in order to ensure that it would stay in SR when changing back to projector #1. I know that this is why they make the remote-control box, but this venue don't have these (of course), and only runs film occasionally, so it isn't time-effective to homebuild something.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-16-2002 04:39 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are using pusled contacts on the CP-500 for the changeover you could probably join the proj.2 c/o pulse to the SK# automation pin so that when the changeover is pulsed it would also pulse the processor into whatever format you wish.

Since the processor would stay in whatever format it's in when you c/o back to proj.1 you wouldn't need to connect the proj.1 c/o pulse to the automation connector. This would also allow you to start the show on proj.1 (with a c/o to proj.1) without the processor kicking into SR on you.

Failing that you could run a pair of wires from the automation connector (across pin 12 and whatever SK# pin) to projector #2 and mount a small momentary push button right beside the changeover button. You could then push both buttons at the same time when you do your changeover. Not as elegent but just as effective.

Of course, if you're really ambitious, you could replace the c/o button with a button that has an extra pole and only have one button again.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-16-2002 08:37 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can actually assign formats to projectors. I believe you need firmware 1.31 or later but in the menu you will find where you can make the assignment. There is also nothing to stop you from making your own remote using the "Automation" connector and a box full of push buttons.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-17-2002 08:56 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this is what I don't understand, then: if I assign format 05 (Dolby SR) to projector #2, does this mean that a) a changeover to projector #2 will cause the cp500 to switch to format 05 or b) that selecting format 05 will cause the processor to select projector #2?

If the answer is (a) above, then this is exactly what I want. Of course, it means that the format assignment will have to be changed during the first reel of the feature, but that's not a big deal.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-17-2002 02:22 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projector assignment is just like the fader assignment. Pressing THAT softkey will cause the projector to change. You could have a #1 05 and a #2 05, the same way you could assign a preview level of 5.0 to one button and a feature level of 7.0 to another.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2002 11:11 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Easy to do -- we've done it where a house runs two machines, one for the adverts and trailers and one for the feature. Use a pulsed set of contacts to tell the CPxx to go to P2 (or P1) and shag around with a diode to simultaneously pulse the automation inputs to whatever format you want. One word of warning - check the automation at the end of the show - sometimes a control pulse that closes P1's douser will try and open P2. OK, the motor's not running so the shutter does not open but it's possible for the automation to miss the mute or non sync cue at the end of the film.

Two projectors - how quaint !

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: