Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Grand Theft - Speaker (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Grand Theft - Speaker
Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2002 10:55 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In one of our theatres, a suburban ten-plex, recently, the cleaners went to retrieve their broom from behind the skirt under the screen, and noticed not only that the broom was missing, but there were foot-prints leading to a ladder, permanently installed leading up to the speaker platform.

Further investigation by them revealed that, in of the three JBL 4670 speaker systems behind the screen, one 2225 woofer had been removed from each cabinet.

As this news filed through the appropriate channels at Head Office, I was summoned to investigate some three days later.

As it turned out not one, but several auditoria at this theatre had been "hit", all in the same manner. The theif removed only one of the 2 woofers from the cabinet (total of 13 units lost).

Strangely, the theif had the audio professionalism to replace the speaker cabinet back into the correct position. What made this even more of a mystery, is that the theif completely ignored the sub-woofers, which because of their position. at floor level, would have made a much easier target.

Obviously, in my mind anyways, this was not a "smash and grab" but a planned robbery by someone who not only brought in the correct tool, but realized that the removal of only one woofer would not be obvious to the theatre staff. Had it not been for the cleaner's missing broom, this crime might never have been reported until the next time (if we only had time) to run a Dolby test reel. By the way, there were no audience complaints of poor sound reported.

In any event, we had a number of replacement units from recently closed theatres. Before installing more speakers, however, I should like to take steps to try and ensure that the replacement speakers will not themselves be easily stolen in the future.

To this end, I am thinking of "theft proof screws" (those with the two indentations) in all speaker systems. I realize that these cannot be torqued the same as the original 10-32 Phillips screws or allen screws. My question is, has anyone tried these and can they be torqued sufficiently to properly mount the 2225 speaker?

Thanks for any replies.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-14-2002 12:51 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 1982, I had a trouble call from a Marcus Theatre that "did not have any sound" when the movie started.

You guessed it: The entire speaker box (Including the driver, horn, and cross-over) was stolen! It has been known to happen.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-14-2002 01:13 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the screws with the double indentations but what about the ones that Brad was discussing earlier this week. It seems that those ones take quite a bit of thought to get out.
http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003984.html

It also sounds like it's only one person since they are ignoring the subs which are pretty heavy to move far distances by yourself. However if you make it difficult to steal the woofers from the 4670's they might bring a dolly and take the subs instead. Mind you the 15" woofers would be a lot easier to fit in the back of a car than the 18" ones.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2002 02:06 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, had a similar one at one of our theatres a few years ago. The projectionist reported that the sound was getting weaker and weaker. Changing the amplifier (Cinemeccanica plug-in mono type) didn't help. Turned out mice had eaten away the cone to make nests.

Good point, Dayrl, except that this could have occured over some time, due to the number of speakers to carry away. Because the staff did not notice the difference in sound quality, I am becoming more and more suspicious that the person who did this knew exactly what he/she was doing.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-14-2002 02:18 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is the company I think it is, they have the ushers clean the theatres after the last show one or two nights a week. If this is so, is a manager staying to supervise?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-14-2002 02:34 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Some links...
www.film-tech.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000017.html
www.film-tech.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003901.html

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-14-2002 08:25 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there no alarm system in your cinema? All cinemas I have worked in had motion detectors and magnetic sensors at the doors.
Obviously, the thief had himself locked in and worked during the night or during several nights. If he is not connected to your staff, he must have hidden somewhere, for instance in the bath rooms. All areas accessible for the public should be checked before closing the theater for the night.
An interesting question is, who would have use for separate drivers? Either the thief builds his own speakers or sells the drivers off. Maybe you could try to find suspicious ads on the net or in local papers.
As a deterrent, simply take a felt pen and write something ("Property 0f...") on the diaphragms!
Michael

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-14-2002 09:14 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just recently asked about the security screws (Brad's 2nd link is to the thread I started). My screws are on the way to me even as we speak (er...write).

We had lost both of the transducers in all of the Left and Right speakers. We had also lost about 3 subwoofer transducers and a similar number of HF horn systems for the 4670D.

I have my suspicions as to who carried them away. There aren't too many people involved with the company who have what it takes to pull off a stunt like that...

1. What to remove
2. How to remove
3. When to remove
4. Need for the stolen property

In addition to the tamper-resistant screws, I have secured a quantity of those metallic "Property of" tags from the accounting department and I am putting them on everything (cabinets, woofers, horns, mounting brackets...everything). I am also keeping a log of the serial numbers of the actual product and also the corresponding property tag.

By the way, the 2035 is the spec replacement for the 4670, not the 2225...although, there's probably some wiggle room there. Personally, I would verify what was actually in your cabinets and order whatever is needed to make them all match one another. If that's the 2035, then get those. If it's something else in there, then get that instead. It's probably more important that they match than to get the spec replacement and have mis-matched units.

~Manny.

I just can't wait to start screwing!

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2002 10:58 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew the manager of a UA theater that closed. She was telling me about the last day of operation, and that the "speaker alarms" went off every 5 minutes.

Apparently, (and I didn't have time to look at them since the theater was closed and stripped by this time) they had installed some sort of devices that sense when a speaker has been moved or removed. Who makes something like this?

Our theater had the subwoofers stolen out of our largest houses. In one of them, only one was gone, and just the speaker itself. In the other house, BOTH were gone, cabinets and all, and according to the tech that came out because we had no low freq. in that house, they somehow managed to short out the amp during their little robbery!! Savages.

I've often thought about how easy it really is to steal equipment or fixtures from an auditorium. Someone could, for exampe, buy a ticket for "Pluto Nash" on a Tuesday afternoon and be the only one in a dark room for 2 hours to plunder as they please.

=TMP=

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-14-2002 11:28 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How are these thieves getting behind the screen? In a procenium theatre, of course, they could just climb up on the stage, but in a typical multiplex, access is usually through a door (which should be locked) in one of the side exit hallways.

Don't most larger theatres have security cameras in the exit hallways, anyway?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2002 11:36 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seton Nameplate makes a pretty good line of "Property of" nameplates and decals. Check out www.seton.com and click on "Property Identification".

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2002 12:50 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A "speaker alarm" could be easily rigged by using a standard door switch mounted in the floor under the cabinet with an off-the-shelf alarm panel. If anyone rocks or moves the speaker... the switches closes presumably setting off an alarm in the office.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-14-2002 12:53 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am using Seton tags. They're very nice.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2002 02:21 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott asked:

quote:
How are these thieves getting behind the screen? In a procenium theatre, of course, they could just climb up on the stage, but in a typical multiplex, access is usually through a door (which should be locked) in one of the side exit hallways.

In most theaters I have been to, it is very easy for anyone to go under the skirting and get behind the screen. I have never seen any doors leading to the back of the screen.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-14-2002 02:23 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the theif took only one (of two) speakers, put them back into proper position and ignored the subs make me suspect it someone who knows about sound and audio. Any employee fit the description? (Although any patron could have done it also.)

I think it would be OK to have two screws less torqued than the others. I'd probably also take that ladder away.

At a theater we no longer own, the cleaners keep "accidently" setting off the alarm until the maangers stopped using it. We got robbed two days later. We fired the cleaners.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: