Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question on 9030 lateral roller

Author Topic: Question on 9030 lateral roller
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2002 01:06 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the lateral roller on the 9030 soundhead supposed to be hard?
This roller on mine is as hard as a rock and is not smooth at all, I can't see where it would be good for the film like that.

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-13-2002 01:28 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just replace it as soon as possible. It could do damage to the emulsion side of the film.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2002 03:13 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Wolk the only person who has these things?

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2002 03:50 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try Lavezzi in Glendale Heights, IL Sam. They're on-line at www.lavezzi.com.

Bob
The Old Showman

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-14-2002 01:16 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, while you are at it, make sure the flanges and bearings are OK, too. For a few dollars more, it might be advisable to renew the bearings.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2002 11:05 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Paul,
The flanges look ok to me.
Look at the roller and tell me if its missing something.
I haven't seen one of these things in a very long time and it seems to me that it had a rubber surface area around it. ??

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2002 02:02 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't missing anything, Sam. That hard, black thing is the rubber surface of the pressure roller. It's time for a softer replacement. That sound drum looks like it could take a polishing too.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2002 04:09 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a source for the G-1985 felt idlers that Simplex used to provide? I always felt (pardon the pun) that they were much easier on the film.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2002 04:31 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,
You can't tell by looking at your roller assembly if it is any good. There are clips, springs and spacers inside the roller assembly that need to be in the correct order. The shaft and guide roller ID condition should be checked. The inboard roller must be free to move out under spring load on the shaft. Looking, it needs to be completely torn apart and cleaned with the rubber roller and ball bearings possibly replaced. Film-Tech has the manuals for the 9030. All parts are availible form Wolk. Good Luck.
Dick

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: