Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Loop loss in Simplex 4 Star soundhead w/reels (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Loop loss in Simplex 4 Star soundhead w/reels
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2002 12:17 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the 4 star sound heads (running reels) on startup yanks out its loop between the constant feed sprocket & hold back sprocket.

Has anyone a suggestion on what to look for?

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-09-2002 12:25 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of things to check or look into. Pad roller distance on sprocket and belt tension for take-up reel. Have they changed.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2002 12:32 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

The take-up belt is leather, hasn't been run in 5 years & may have shrunk. What's the outline for setting up the take-up belt?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-09-2002 12:43 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Install VKF sprockets, set the pad rollers to spec, and clean up and/or adjust the clutch tension. Your problem will go away, presuming you are not running a print with crappy splices or stripped out sprocket perfs. Very seldom have I seen this happen because of the belt, unless it is just too loose. A tight belt will not cause this to happen. The belt is not supposed to slip on the shives, anyway. That's what the clutch is for.

By the way, are you experiencing your problem on start-up? Or, are you experiencing this after start-up? How far into the reel are you when it happens? The clutch setting might be just too tight if it is happening sometime other than start-up. Restoring the loop on the fly is very easy to do, but it is still a pain in the rump to do it, especially if you snag your finger on a splice and it drags your finger(s) through the pad roller and sprocket. (Been there)

If you are running 6,000 foot reels, you have to be vary careful about your clutch settings as well as their cleanliness and over-all condition.

RCA had a real crappy clutch in some of their 3D magazine setups. They were not a conventional disk-leather-disc sandwich design. If they got oily or dirty, the projector would come up faster that the clutch could compensate for. This resulted in a little slack in the film. When the take up finally comes up to speed, it would jerk the loop away from the constant speed and holdback sprocket. Back in the old days with Acetate film, it would strip out the sprocket perfs, especially if the holdback sprocket is worn out. Those sprockets took a real beating and wear much faster than any other sprocket.

I'll almost bet your holdback sprocket teeth are worn to the nubs.

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2002 02:47 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just been there.
the drive belt between picture head and sound head is loose.

------------------
KALEE FOREVER. CARBON ARC, THE ONLY LIGHT FOR THE STARS!
ALL PARTS FOR VICTOR AND KALART VICTOR 16MM PROJECTORS.SERVICE TO 35 AND 16MM PROJECTION EQUIPMENT.
35MM sprockets made to order.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2002 02:50 AM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The belt should be tight just to turn the pully. Sounds like you need to clean and adjust the take up clutch. You may be too loose and forming a little slack then doing a hard catch up and ripping sprocket holes or tearing the film. Not knowing which type you have it is hard to advise. You can start by slightly backing out the locking nut on the end of the take up shaft. Unless it ia an XL type take up, adjust the nut to just start start the reel so there is no back up into the soundhead. There are different schools on weather to oil the clutch or not. A couple of drops won't hurt. Oil any other oil holes such as shaft, etc. Make sure your sprocket teeth are clean. Do NOT clean them with the machine running. Same for the pad rollers then adjust them for proper sprocket clearence. That should help.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2002 02:54 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the procedure for adjusting the takeup clutch tension?
I've really never, ever adjusted the clutch tension on a takeup, just the supply reel. Maybe I've been lucky.

I've just been running loops on this thing so far, this problem popped up as I was heading out the door.

The magazines are Simplex, same silvertone finish as the Simplex 35 & the sound head.

The holdback sprocket teeth seem great.

quote:
By the way, are you experiencing your problem on start-up? Or, are you experiencing this after start-up? How far into the reel are you when it happens? The clutch setting might be just too tight if it is happening sometime other than start-up.

Right at startup. Thread, hit the motor, bam, it snatches out the loop.

{ EDIT )
Just saw you guys' replies after sending this post. Thanks!

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2002 03:03 AM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William,
There should be a large screw and a hex nut on the end of your take up shaft. Loosten the large screw and back off the nut sightly and test. Try this untill you form a small loop at start up. Tighten slightly untill loop goes away when starting. You don't have to move the nut very much to adjust it. If it rips right away with no loop adjustment is too tight (back off nut). You should also take it apart and clean it if you can.
Dick

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2002 12:36 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mr. Hooper,

I know this may be a dumb question but I will ask it anyway.

Are the takeup reels "easy start?" The center hub and the flanges are not tightly fastened so that when the machine starts and there is a rapid wind in the takeup, the hub turns freely from the heavy flanges. This 'inertia' in the flanges can cause the film to be abused in the sound head exit sprockets. Dirt coupling the flanges to the hub of an "easy start" may also cause this problem.

The solid reels are ok for the feed spindles but they are death in the takeup magazines.

Hope this is helpful.
Sincerely, KEN

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-09-2002 03:28 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan, Are you sure yours is a 4-Star? I suppose it is possible, but I never saw a 4-Star soundhead driving a projector with a belt. With the Simplex XL on a 4-Star, it would run backwards without an idler gear.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-09-2002 03:42 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William, I think your problem is in the clutch adjustment since I read your edited post. If you have the sandwich clutch, give it a turn or two if the belt and its tension is otherwise ok. The belt could be loose - but I doubt it. However, it would still be worth checking.

Just as a passing thought.....is there any binding of the take-up shaft? Take the belt off, put a reel on the spindle and give the shaft assembly a spin. It should spin freely. If not, time to dismantle, clean, and lubricate the shaft and the bore.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-09-2002 05:25 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid question: is the holdback sprocket loose on its shaft? The takeup reel might be yanking the film at startup and pulling the sprocket around the shaft. (Any chance you could post a picture? I haven't seen the 4-star soundheads.)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-09-2002 10:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I gather this wasn't a problem in the past check the clutch assembly
Some of the simplex magazines used a conical clutch and it may have a worn sopt on it causeing it to snatch

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2002 12:30 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The machines haven't been run for 5 or more years, & I didn't know them when they were running. This one was partially disassembled, &
I'm getting them back up.

I'll be back there on Friday, & will go through all the suggestions.

I really appreciate this, everything is going MUCH slower there than it should due to rust, age, disuse, deterioration, etc. Being able to picking up some speed on troubleshooting in that booth is excellent.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-10-2002 01:23 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhhh....that sheds much light on the subject. Sounds like a little "midnight oil", a big jug of coffee at your side and some TLC on those machines.

It is probably dirty stiff loose belts, and some coagulated oil in the spindle bores, as well as deteriorated clutches. All are very easy fixes, and will cost little money (if any at all) except for the cleaning materials and the labor involved. If you have leather belts that are shot, you might want to consider using "Roundthane" belts. I never had any trouble with them, although I still prefer the old leather ones.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: