Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » P35GPS Dowser Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: P35GPS Dowser Question
Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2002 09:20 PM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just like anyone else who has Christies I have a hell of a time with these dowsers. I have tried everything to get these POS's up and keep them up. But by accidednt I have found somehting that might help. One of our rods was bent to shit so it I took it off. After doing that the dowser had no problem locking into position. Obviously the rod on that particular projector was providing resistance but I began to wonder if all rods have a little bit of resistance, bent or not. I took one off of a projector that was perfectly fine as far as the rod goes but still had problems with the dowser being pulled up all the way. Sure enough that relieved the problem. I have thought of different ways to deal with this situation because removing the rod is just a bad idea as I see it. The only thing I could think of is lubricating the shaft of the rod or bore the hole over in the top of the projector. I would like to bore the hole because having to constantly lubricate the rod would be a pain, however, it is a less drastic approach. Has anyone else done anything like this. Tell me your thoughts before I tear apart my projecotrs.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-08-2002 09:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remove the dousers completely! Be sure to have completely opaque film after your leader, like fullcoat mag or other stuff that Film-Tech can sell you. Once this is rolling through your projector, a cue will tell the exciter to turn on, only the exciter is no longer required, since you use red readers. So instead it turns on the xenon (after it is properly rewired to do so by a qualified individual). The full coat mag goes through and then your picture appears. At the end of the show, the end cue turns off the "exciter" which of course turns off the xenon. Problem solved! No more douser issues ever! Of course you'll need a capable automation to do this.

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2002 11:51 PM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think removing the changeover douser completely is a terrible idea.

But I have no advise for the sticky christie dousers.

Brian Tristam Williams
Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2002 04:13 AM      Profile for Brian Tristam Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Tristam Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our projectionist make use of rubber bands to keep the little bastards up.

------------------
"One man can make a difference."

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-09-2002 05:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I think removing the changeover douser completely is a terrible idea."

Wes, if you think it is a terrible idea, please give us reasons as to why you think this is such a terrible thing to do. Otherwise your post will be completely useless to the readers.

This is actually a fantastic idea. Imagine you are running a multiplex and you need to be able to rely on start timers...but oh no the dousers don't open on their own because you have the older style! What about those older dousers that melt and you have to physically fight them to open/close? Douser solonoids that have died are just another problem. Then there are the occasional dousers that like to fall down during a show. Yes, your patrons will love you for that. Putting the xenon on the exciter circuit completely eliminates this problem and gives your patrons the EXACT same show on screen. Plus you will never again change out a douser blade or solonoid. That's money, labor and anguish saved.

Manuel, it only requires moving 2 wires.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-09-2002 05:02 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just replace the crappy Christie changeover blades with the new style? Are they expensive? I know that Century changeover blades are only about $10 and I have a hard time believing that Christie parts are much more expensive. (Feel free to prove me wrong; I haven't had the "pleasure" of working with Christie projectors.)

Also, do all Christie projectors have LED soundheads? If not, the "rewire the automation" idea might not be appropriate. Also, it wouldn't work in a changeover house, of course.

BTW, if anyone needs small quantities of mag fullcoat, let me know. I just bought a 1000' roll, and there's no way that I'll need more than half of it.

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2002 06:23 PM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that when you remove a changeover you are disabling an important part of a projector. It may be good to solve a problem temporarily, but the ORIGINAL problem (sticking blades) should be addressed and corrected. Altering the basic design of the machine seems ridiculous to me, even if the original design was terrible to start. Little things could be an issue...like what if you don't have the appropriate opaque leader on hand to properly set this up? Seems silly, but it certainly would eventually happen in a real world mega-plex booth. Then you have someone using the hand douser or putting their hand in front of the lens....or, doing nothing at all using a clear leader. And, you have effectively "redesigned" the automation...and that is assuming that one even has automation capable of being rewired to control the lamphouse. I would be SLIGHTLY more inclined to agree with you if the machines being crippled of their dousers had working fire dousers, but many newer machines do not.

I am, however, a slight bit of a traditionalist, and I am partial to Century and Simplex (older) equipment. I do not have any problems of note with my changeover blades, or with my zipper and kelmar solenoid units. I have the luxury of being able to choose the equipment that we operate...I know many of you do not and have to work with what you've got. So one reason I think it is a bad idea is simply because I have no issues with what I operate. In the end I just want something more than a hand douser to control the light in my machines.

I could probably think of more reasons if I thought long enough...

I might like this idea more if I was exposed to it in a real operating situation...but right now with my machines, the dousers stay for certain.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-09-2002 07:31 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen modifications installed with a standard zipper changeover...end of problem; this was at one of the cinemas where German and Angel work in Venezuela. Many Kinoton projectors do not have a hand douser ( optional ) and has interlock wiring so the lamp will not light until motor operation; so the picture changeover has little time to fry in the heat.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-09-2002 08:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Altering the basic design of the machine seems ridiculous to me, even if the original design was terrible to start.

[sarcastic] Great philosophy! We should all just conform! Manufacturers know best. Us people who actually use the equipment every single day aren't too bright and should just rely on the manufacturers to solve problems. [/sarcastic]

Most significant design changes come from the field. Read the review on the Speco LP280 Digital Platter in the Reviews section of this site.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-10-2002 03:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Wes, any...yes ANY automation can be "modified" to fire the xenon at the appropriate time. However this really isn't "modifying" anything, as it is just connecting one thing to a different circuit. Big whoopie. The automation doesn't know any different and so what if you have exciter based systems? Just leave the exciters on all day or connect them to the xenon circuit so the exciters fire with the start button and extinguish when the failsafes drop.

I'll just leave the discussion with the statement that the theaters I have set up in this manner have had ZERO problems since and the projectionists are happy because they don't have to deal with any bs and the corporate guys are also happy because they are not spending money on buying replacement parts that are really not needed in a multiplex platter booth. While the Kelmar/Strong dousers that you will find on Simplexes and Centurys are quite reliable, the original douser design with Christie projectors leaves much to be desired. Also, sooner or later your dousers WILL die. In a multiplex situation, that can really screw things up where you have more than one or two projectors to deal with.

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2002 03:50 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The next week we will free of all Christie dowser problems! We'll change all our Christie's dowsers and replace it for kelmar, for me the most reliable.
Mr. Fowler's seen the dowser's modification, also the modification in the 2kw rectifier (now are 2) which now is into the Christie console. I'll take some pictures to be shown here. Christie bring a lot of problems to us while two prevost projectors made about 1970 are running perfectly.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-10-2002 05:33 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
P-60 and P-70 machines run forever, as long as you keep the oil fresh
Richard Fowler

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2002 06:26 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long does it take a tech to do this modifiction (the kelmar dousers)? How much does it cost (without labor)?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-10-2002 07:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone upload a picture of the modification? I can't imagine this taking more than 15-20 minutes.

Then again, moving two wires on the automation connector takes less than 1 minute and there's no more dousers to fail.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-10-2002 08:10 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is plenty of room to get rid of the factory picture changeover. I have done upgrades on Cinemeccanica V-10 which required several trips to my shop to mill a slot in the film trap casting so we could use easily available parts.
Richard Fowler

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: