Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Are there many theatres that can still show dual projection 3D? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Are there many theatres that can still show dual projection 3D?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-08-2002 06:04 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2004 will mark the 50th anniversary of Natural Vision 3-D. It was 1954 when an independent producer, Arch Oboler released "BWANA DEVIL", the first feature in that process starring Robert Stack and it was an instant hit.. The film itself was terrible but the 3D effects was wonderful. Because the process used two seperate 35mm projectors, the picture was very bright despite having to wear polaroid glasses to view the film. For those of you who have never seen the 3D films of the fifties, the effect is almost the same as IMAX 3-D. Since "BWANA DEVIL", I had made an effort to see as many films as I could in the process including "HOUSE OF WAX", "IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE", "ARENA", "THRE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON", FORT TI", "INFERNO", "THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE" and "THE MAZE". Beside many others I saw in 3D, there were others I had to watch in a regular version such as "DIAL M FOR MURDER, "HONDO" and "KISS ME KATE" because the 3D process was no longer popular.

When I used to read the Los Angeles Times on a regular basis, I have noticed that there were one or two revival theatres that were showing newly struck 3D prints there. Beside these theatres in LA, are there still others in other parts of the country and the world that are still showing Natural Visian (Dual Projector) 3D? I am not referring to the single projection system which in my opinion sucks big time.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-08-2002 06:09 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have regularly installed Selysen Sync motors for 3d festivals
Actually the single film 3d can be very good if the time and care is taken to set it up properly

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-08-2002 08:58 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are probably more than you would expect that can run 2-strip 3-D films. It isn't that hard to do. Special venue still uses the 2-strip method.

In the DC area, the AFI runs a 3-D festival about once a year in 2-strip.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-08-2002 10:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theater I am currently at now USED to run dual projector 3D. They showed them in our large giant screen auditorium. The extra projector has long since been removed, but there are some interesting switches that still remain on the main projector. It seems like an interlock switch, but there there are actually TWO ways it is wired for interlock. I am guessing that the weird one was to start both projectors at the same time. And yes, they have those damned Selsyn motors in addition to the regular Simplex motors. Can you imagine seeing a 3D movie in our large giant screen auditorium?

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2002 11:48 PM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just removed the second projector from a 2-strip outfitted booth. There is still a silver screen in that auditorium.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-09-2002 02:23 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NFT2 in London can still do it, and does from time to time, which is appropriate, as the NFT developed out of the Telekinema at the Festival of Britain where modern 3D, i.e. polarised picture and stereophonic sound really started in 1951.

NFT3, previously the MOMI (Museum of the Moving Image) cinema could, but the DP-70s were replaced by Vic 8s at about the time the museum closed, and I don't know if it is now set up for 3D.

NFT1 cannot do it, unsuitable screen, and wrong shape auditorium.

I don't know if any other cinemas in London are still equipped, but I haven't heard of any others doing it for many years now.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-09-2002 02:54 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon McLeod writes:

quote:
Actually the single film 3d can be very good if the time and care is taken to set it up properly

And one crucial thing is making sure the prints match each other totally, which is becoming more of an issue as the extant sets of 3D prints are getting older and more worn.

What you've got to do is exactly the same as with that other Warners technology, Vitaphone - replace any lost frames with an exact same amount of spacing. I once ran House of Wax and the print preparation involved running both left and right eye through a double-gang synchroniser. Footage numbers are printed every 16 frames between two perforations, and you have to make sure these match up on both prints. If there are any missing frames from one side, you replace it with clear spacing so that at least the audience will only lose the 3D - you won't darken the picture, which would happen if you used black.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2002 03:23 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've installed one special venue 3d system this year.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2002 09:44 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've still got a set of the original port glass polarising filters for two projector 3D.... still in their original envelope un-used.

The 'Up and Over' single projector system was ok but you had to make sure your lamp house was de focused to get as even a light spread as possible. I've seen a couple of dire shows as a result where one image was very dull at the top and the other was very dull at the bottom.... masking tape everywhere.

It was mostly due to the fact that the projectionist was expected to run single manning, set up the 3D and do his normal duties as well. No wonder the end result was often a disaster...... and who gets the blame.. answers please on a post card to....

BTW I would suggest Leo that you are wrong when you say you replaced missing / damaged frames with CLEAR spacing. That would result in a very disturbing white flash in one eye, and ruin the moment by drawing attention to the fact that there was damage etc. A black frame would not be as distracting or uncomfortable and not ruin the moment.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-09-2002 10:21 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Los Angeles the Tiffany and Vagabond theatres, ran 3D Festivals
afew times a year. At the Vagabond, Chris Condon from StereoVision 3D
set that house up. StereoVision had their 70MM set up at the old UA
Pasadena for reseach and testing.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-09-2002 10:28 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Chris Condon from SpaceVision

I thought he was with StereoVision?

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-09-2002 10:52 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim
Your right , its been a long time since I was back in the Vagabond.

Thanks

Kris Brunton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2002 12:30 PM      Profile for Kris Brunton   Email Kris Brunton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We installed 3 system in the orient last fall. All systems used the GE selsyn motors. We experimented with some other types of motor systems utilizing DC motors with shaft encoders but they would not control the roll down after down after power was removed. The selsyns were the only thing that worked.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2002 12:46 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris Condon was also involved with the set-up for the Nuart's 3-D film festival last month (although all films were using the single strip method).

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2002 02:14 PM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a fond memory of Natural Vision dual projector 3D, as a young 3rd projectionist nearly 50 years ago, in a 2,500 seater cine-variety theatre. With a throw of 152 feet onto a large academy ratio screen the quality of the 3D image was outstanding! Interlock was by a simple coupling bar between the two projectors. The film was sent on four 5,000’ spools for left and right eye, and there would be of course an Intermission to change the reels. As mentioned before in another thread, I can name at least three UK cinemas that had the luxury of four projectors to enable changeovers. One of them was the West End of London Warner Theatre, which also had separate follower soundheads interlocked for THE HOUSE OF WAX in stereo sound as well! Image that.

One amusing incident I remember was when the manager came upto the projection box wondering why the picture was flat and not 3D. We had to stop and go back to the beginning again, after it was realised that a fresh batch of 3D glasses had been folded the wrong way. The manager then had to go on stage and give instructions to turn the glasses the right way around!

Gordon wrote,

quote:

I agree, I saw THE BUBBLE in perfect 3D projected from a Philips FP20 with an excellent xenon light at the small Classic Cinema, Piccadilly Circus. It can be done.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: