Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Willfull plays wrong DTS discs?

Author Topic: Willfull plays wrong DTS discs?
Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2002 12:15 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only have this info second hand.
That is, I not been able to test it (Well forgot to to check it out)

I was told that no matter what disc you have in the DTS player,
the movie will play that disc.

The weird part is, that I dont think the movie even has a timecode on it.

What could the reader be seeing? - The green light was not on when I remembered
to checked this out during the credits - and I could not see any timecode.
(Ive only ran that one session since being told of the problem)

The only extra info I can give is that an usher told me that the sound track of
Devine Secrets of Ya Ya Sisters was playing when the movie on screen was WillFull.

BTW: With the amount of print moving we have to do, often the wrong discs are left
in the player, but are they not coded to not play if its the wrong disc?

Bill Langfield

|  IP: Logged

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2002 01:14 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose there are always exceptions, but I think as a general rule, a movie will not play the wrong discs. We have accidentally left the wrong discs in a player a few times, and it has never played them. It has reverted to its analog back-up every time

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-02-2002 02:56 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had several Bollywood films that would make the disks for Matrix kick in at odd times for some reason

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2002 06:36 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once I had my old player, with VERY old reader (reading a very BAD timecode) playing the Fox fanfare on the Columbia logo.

I believe that if you have big problems in timecode reding the player CAN play the wrong title.
But a well working player WILL NOT play the incorrect disk. On the timecode there is also the code of the movie.

Bye
Antonio

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-02-2002 08:09 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the first couple DTS releases ("Jurassic Park" and "Heart and Souls"), the timecode didn't have film ID information. There were some instances where a theater playing "Heart and Souls" had the wrong audio playing for the film since they left the "JP" discs in the player. DTS fixed that problem starting with "Hard Target". The current time code contains frame number, reel number and film ID information.

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2002 06:37 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been playing with DTS for the last three years and never ever has the unit ever given a problem.

If a wrong disk is placed inside the unit, the unit obviously does not respond at all and the ULTRA-JSX which I have reverts immediately to the ANALOG. In fact, of all the stuff in my projector, the sturdiest and perfect of all, I would say, is the DTS 6D unit I have.

------------------

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-03-2002 10:36 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yah, but of all the things that can go wrong in a theatre, the most interesting I have ever heard of would be starting HEART AND SOUL and hearing the JURASSIC PARK soundtrack. A puzzling moment for the projectionist for sure and that only after probably most of the opening credits played before he even realized something was wrong. But think of what must have been going through the mind of the audience!

And the Fox Fanfare over the Columbia logo....awesome!

Frank

How's this. Once I ran MY FAIR LADY and there, on reel, the one that contained the "Take Me To The Church On Time" number, that reel was subtitled in Spanish. So the audience is watching maybe a hour of the movie, and boom, without warning or explanation, all of a sudden there are Spanish subtitles on the bottom of the picture. 12 minutes later, reel change, and boom, back to normal....talk about hearing a murmor of bewilderment running through the theatre! Some thought it was a Spanish sing-along.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-03-2002 10:42 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Fox fanfare over the Columbia logo could be explained by (i) a film being distributed by Fox in one country and by Columbia in another, or (ii) by the rights having changed hands at some point.

In this case I'd guess (i) - the film was distributed by Fox in the US, so their fanfare went on the DTS discs. But in Italy the film was distributed by Columbia, who imported a batch of US discs which still had the Fox fanfare on the start.

But (ii) does happen though - for example, at the start of the Robert Harris restoration of Vertigo you see a Universal logo immediately followed by a Paramount one.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2002 12:24 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo,

I was not clear! I was projecting a Columbia movie with timecode but with no disks available. I put the DTS logo but only few hours later I was told that there are no DTS disks for that film in Italy. So I planned to remove the DTS logo and replace it with a DD one but in the meantime I put an "anna and the king" (Fox) disk in the player just to have the logo played in DTS sound. However, after the DTS logo the player started with the fox fanfare (but was continuously drop in DD since the reader were very old). I suppose that having bad reader (and bad timecode) caused the player to see the wrong title.

I repeat: was an old player (with bad drives) with bad readers. In effect, I wonder why I used to use it at that time!

Now we have the player and the readers repaired and all is perfect.

Bye
Antonio

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2002 12:46 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio-

Could it have been the player "reading ahead"? On the discs, the sound data for the film (anna and the king) could have been immediately after the sound data for the DTS logo. Thus, the player went right on ahead and contiuned playing until a few seconds later when the other timecode kicked in.

We had something similar happen with a couple Universal titles. We usually spliced the attatched trailer just before the policy trailer. I remember there being a few frames between the attatched trailer and the feature where there was no soundtrack, so I cut just before that. Lo and behold, the attatched trailer plays through in DTS, and when our policy trailer came on, (analog) we had the Universal theme playing for a few seconds into the policy. When the feature came on, the Universal theme began again in DTS.

=TMP=

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2002 02:42 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas,

Do you mean if DTS logo sound is part of reel 1? It could be but I remember that at that time I had to run immediately in the booth to turn off the player because the player was continuing kick in DTS and drop in DD with Anna and the king! (due to the bad timecode readers)

If the player play the Fox fanfare for few moments and then drop definitively in DD I could agree with you!

Bye
Antonio

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2002 05:35 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

All DTS movie discs have a serial number in the software that must match the serial number on the film. If the two don't match, then the disc will not play.

If discs are playing without film running, then they have left their setup disc in the player. They need to take out the setup disc.

If the discs is playing with any film then what could be happening is some of the leader for the first film was accidently spliced onto the second film. Maybe this happened when they were building the print... ??? If they are using black leader, please tell them to carefully inspect it to be sure it has no timecode on it. Other than that, if all discs are playing with any film, have them replace their D422 timecode board (inside the player).

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: