Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » guidance roller positioning

Author Topic: guidance roller positioning
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-01-2002 03:33 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Situation: single screen theatre with two machines and a platter (Speco LP-270) in the booth. Both projectors have Kelmar 7000-series reel arms. We have platter guidance rollers for the upper and lower arms on one machine, but currently have to remove the rollers for reel-to-reel use, and re-aligning them for platter use is a pain.

What is the best way to position the guidance rollers so that we can use either the platter or reels (6000' preferred, but at least 2000' needed) without needing to remove and replace the guidance rollers?

We're currently using the platter for prints which will run for more than a few shows, but would like to easily be able to run reel-to-reel for special shows, mint prints with uncut leaders, festivals, late-arriving prints, etc. Most shows will probably be platter-run, since there will probably only be a projectionist in the booth on weekends and for special shows. Yes, this situation is sub-optimal, but this is a low-budget operation at the moment.

(Cue thread on the evils of manager-operated booths.)
(Cue thread on platters-vs-reels.)

I'm normally partial towards reel-to-reel operation in single-screen houses, but I really like this setup. We run trailers and (hopefully) shorts on the second machine and then changeover to the feature on the platter machine. Since most prints will probably run for at least a week, this is probably better for the prints and offers less opportunity for error by inexperienced operators. It also gives flexibility for festivals, special shows, etc. I'd prefer to have a Christie platter, but the Speco (which I hadn't used before) seems decent enough.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-01-2002 03:49 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

Kelmar, and probably others, sell wall mount rollers generaly used for interlocking situations but can be used to feed to and from platter systems. This should leave you enough room to run the 6000 foot reels.

Speco's are very reliable platters.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-01-2002 04:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl's may be the quickest and dirtiest solution, but I'm against having magazine rollers at angles whenever it is possible to prevent it for the safety of the film's sake. (The film can bob up and down when it is flying from the platter and actually jump the upper magazine roller or drag over the flanges causing scratches.)

Here is how I did it with 2 projectors and a platter...

Notice there are 2 rollers instead of one. The first roller is positioned underneath the upper magazine arm (or in your case it will probably be "beside" the arm). This roller is kept to pull film level and straight from the platter. Then the lower roller serves to bring the film "inline" with the projector and shoots it back upward to the top of the penthouse stack. (You WILL be having lots of penthouses here, right? )

Operator side view of the same.

Even with a 6000' reel on the spindle, film can still be ran off of a platter without the film scraping on anything. Of course I never do this because it is harder to thread around the reel than to just remove it, but it can be done. When running dts70, the reel of course has to go for clearance issues.

In your situation Scott, the easiest method may be to combine the two ideas (assuming of course you are like me and do not like angled feed rollers). Mount two rollers on the wall in front of the projector. The first roller will pull the film from the platter in a "straight up and down" alignment toward a roller mounted a foot or two below. That second roller can then send the film straight into the projector (as if the supply reel was sitting in front of the projector).

Of course angled rollers are acceptable in "constant tension" situations...lower magazine rollers and interlock rollers.

By the way, here is what Darryl is talking about, in case anyone didn't follow it...

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-01-2002 04:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm...Brad...we don't have digital anything (unless you count a CD player for non-sync). We don't have mag, either. We don't even have Dolby. We probably will use a film cleaner, though....

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-01-2002 04:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You play music in between shows from a CD player? Hey, THAT'S DIGITAL! Run now and put "digital sound" on your marquee like a good slimy theater owner.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2002 12:33 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is our set-up in a 2 projector booth. The guidance roller is at a slight angle and I know we can run reel to reel without moving it too much. (the rollers are on pieces of metal rods that are allen screwed together and could be moved out of the way by just turning the roller.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2002 12:37 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What type of projectors?

We ran reels & platter with no reel arms, just wall mounted rollers.

The top roller was high enough to just use the top fire roller on the Century going in.

It didn't have magazines, & the bottom whatever-you-call-it-magazine-skeleton had a roller mounted on it about 6 or 8" below the sound head, a little behind the film path for going to the takeup reel. For platter use, the film went around that lower roller & off to another on the front wall.

I've just edited this post because I realized that the projector was at an angle of about a million degrees, making the film entryinto the projector a straighter shot from the wall roller. It might not work as well if the projector is closer to perpendicular.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2002 04:43 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam
Looks like an old Peerless Magnarc converted in that picture.
Is that a Teco conversion or what? Did that many, many years ago and the damn thing worked like a charm. First time I've seen someone else use it if, in fact, it is a Teco conversion.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-02-2002 09:47 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have actually always been a fan of mounting an angled wall roller as it usually provides a longer distance to make the twist in

Also that is not a Teco conversion but the Kniesley conversion

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2002 10:02 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon is right, all Kniesley Kni Tron stuff. Although the platter is a Teco.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: