Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby CP-650 -- Some Disappointments (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby CP-650 -- Some Disappointments
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-31-2002 11:27 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...I just got three new CP-650s and they're all installed now. I'm happy with the sound and the EQ was fun with the PC. Actually, it felt like cheating. But having 1/3 octave EQ revealed just how short-changed I should've been feeling with my CP-45s which I once loved so much.

But...installing the CP-650 was no bed of roses...

Mic/Mux pinout differs from that used on the CP-500...Why? Now I have to have two different XLR-to-D9 connectors instead of just one.

I don't like the display. I know that the old one (on the 500) became a problem but this one represents too much of a step backward for my taste.

Is it really necessary for the front panel to stick out of the rack like that?

The software is a little clunky...

Do you really have to disconnect/reconnect every time you want to "send changes" or am I missing something? I found this was the only way to ensure that my changes got sent. They were not automatically transmitted when I saved them or when I disconnected. I found that reconnecting was the only sure way to ensure that the changes got through.

What is up with the mic calibration? I got a dialogue box a couple of times that said "Mic level is too low or too high." Well, could it be any more vague? Which is it...too low...or too high? You'd think they should/could program it to determine that...

It also seems like I'm going to have to get some more Dolby parts if I want to tie the CA-21 (Automation) to the remote volume of the CP-650. Why did that need to change to involve a special part?

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2002 01:19 AM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
We have installed 6 CP 650 in various locations and they work fine. But an beginning one of them made troubles, the sound will lost by moments and we must ship them to Dolby for servicing.
I like the PC based setup: I'ts very easy to adjust the EQ (better than a CP 500 I guess) but I dislike the bult-in RTA analyser, who need a oscilloscope to adjust it. I prefer use a THX R2 Analyser an a second PC to running up. I'ts more accuracy. About the problem with the PC software, pay attention to have the latest version of the soft installed: I'ts sound that early versions has a Bug inside....
I'ts a fact, the LCD screen Is to little, The screen of the CP 500 was more nicer But I guess thats a question of cost...
the first processor we have exchanged was a CP 200. One time the work finished an tested, We have invited the projectionists of the multiplex to enjoy the "new sound" All was amazed !
For me The CP 650 will be one of the best cinemas sound processor of the 21th.
One disapointement: I think that Dolby should offer more inputs posibilities: Only two non-sync input an two User-selectable format are not enought...

Bye,

(Sorry for my really BAD English)

------------------
Jean-Michel Grin - Europlex Cinemas (Switzerland)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-01-2002 01:43 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, they are Dolby. They can do what they want. If they want you to buy new parts from them just to interface with all of the same equipment you already have you will do so without complaint. Now open your wallet and give them the contents. They are Dolby. It is worth it just for the fancy Dolby name. You will not complain of this again.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-01-2002 02:15 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, there ARE alternatives. Like the others here...I have found the CP-650 to have its virtues and its weaknesses. It generally performs OK but it too targeted for the mainstream cinema.

For instance, even the format buttons only have the format numbers (something only the CP-200 has any meaning with). Try to explain to a newbie that the "04" button is Dolby-A and that they will almost never have to use it!

Then there are the three buttons for the menus that hang out there in the open...put them behind the cover (even if it is just the flip down cover)...out in the open means "press me!" And to add insult to injury, the first menu option is the "Fader, Local/Remote" so the prize for pressing the wrong button can be NO SOUND with a mysterious "0.0" staring at you until you realize what you did (yes I've been paged over this one).

Sound wise, it is fine though a bit noisy for my tasts (almost unusable for screening rooms with speakers in close proximity) though it is better than the CP-500 in that respect.

The CP-650 also seems a bit more reliable than the CP-500.

From an installation standpoint...it is a nightmare! Only the one "main output" with a DB25 connector so you are screwed on your monitor feed. If you buy or upgrade to "EX" then your output for the surrounds must move to the Option I/O connector (also a DB25)...rather dumb and inexcusable. So what is Dolby's answer...why call Odyssey products, of course...they make kludge boards...an example is shown below.

Again, in a typical mall theatre, a CP-650 will do just fine...in a special venue house with flexibility needs...it can prove to be inflexible.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2002 04:33 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second what Steve said! I have a lot of venues that do rather more then one projector and a platter. I've a booth in Dundee serving two screens, in which you'll find 2 35mm, 2 16mm with sep-mag, SR.D, DTS, video and PA. All of which is handled by the CP500s, there's no patching or altering of plugging, you just call up the relevant format and you're away. Trying doing a booth like this with a CP650! No ta!

Manny, look carefully at the difference between the two mic cables. You'll find it's possible to simply ad a link between two pins in the DB9 connector of you're CP500 cable to get it to work with both.

I've never used the CP650 on board RTA. I don't really have a problem with using the scope to display it, that's how we used to work with the Arta600, and very well it worked too. It's just that I carry an Arta80, so there really is no need for me to use the on board gadget.

BTW How tight are Dolby getting? I'm installing a pair of 650 with changeovers, there I am merrily wiring the cells etc, and find that in the bag of bits is ONE DB9 connector, I checked both 650s and had two connectors for two processors. This seems a bit 'scrooge' to me, as the cost of a DB9, relative to the cost of a CP650 is small to say the least.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-01-2002 09:07 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny,
if you plan to connect the CP650 to the CA-21 via serial control input you need to use Belden 8771 cable direct from the automation to the processor for reliable results.
Pete,
the lack of install hardware is like the airlines omitting an olive from the salad to save a $1,000,000 in cost . Many people are using breakout boards from Odessey, Ultra Stereo, Bay Area Cinema Products since soldering in the field is sometimes a problem...even the mini-gas torch type are giving the airline fits in our travels.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2002 09:53 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We never use break out boards, it seems like an unnecessary expense to me. Soldering on site isn't a problem here, at least not one I've ever encountered.

Actually we did use odyssey stuff on a couple of jobs where the all teh gear had been shipped as apackage from the US. It was ok on the CP500 site, but at the time they didn't make anything for the EX outputs of the CP650, so the other site that used 650 was hald wired with odyssey, and half wired by yours truly and colleagues.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-01-2002 11:12 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I was told by Dolby that the use of the breakout cards with the CP-500/650 defeat the FCC RFI rules. Both these and other digital processors leak alot of RFI and the metal covered DB connectors are meant to help shield and minimize that leakage.
As far as the 650 goes, I think most of you know my prefrences don't lie anyplace within the digitally based processor realm.
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-01-2002 12:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DB connectors were a CE requirement
I never had problems with my OK Industrys soldering station in the toolbox as checked baggage. Also I usually use a crimping tool to do most of the DB connector thing

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-01-2002 12:20 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, won't the audio rack, assuming an enclosed unit, minimize the RFI problems as a system? I know for a manufacturer this is a problem due to CE regulations et cetera based on a per product piece situation hence no more CP-65 units.
In Miami there is a screening room in a building where most of the celluar, pager, and other wireless transmitters for the downtown area are situated; we had more problems with RFI leaking in than out.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-01-2002 01:13 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would help being in a rack yet there is actually many installations that use those horrid open frame relay racks and as such would have no shielding (or even those wooden framed road case racks)

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-01-2002 01:22 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a wooden equipment rack for our STL gear and some satellite receivers at the radio station. I have had some problems with EMI in that thing as compared to metal racks that have proper grounding, as long as all the filler panel blanks are in place on the metal rack.

I also have a smaller wooden rack that does just the opposite. If I ground the equipment, it really "sings".

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-01-2002 08:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity...the Panastereo gear bears the "CE" tag yet is an open back plane processor with DSubs and Phoenix connectors.

I crimp 99% of my DSubs so field installation of them is a breeze. If the CP-650 had two outputs (main and monitor) then things wouldn't be as bad. Though they NEED to fix havng the Ls and Rs channels be in different places when EX is implimented...that is a serious design flaw. And referring people to use Odyssey boards is a cop-out.

Whereas I've always crimpped my Dsubs, I've never noticed that Dolby isn't supplying a connector for each potential connection. That would be like not providing a fanning strip for each connector in the older Dolby gear...something that just wasn't done. Yes, Dolby does seem to be slipping here.

But this all goes to my previous statement...if you are building a typical mall theatre...that seems to be what they are targeting.

Pete...have you tried a Panastereo CSP-1200 yet? While certainly not perfect, they are MUCH more condusive to special venue and high-end.

I am working on an installation that has 2-35mm/16mm projectors (featuring optical, Dolby Digital DTS Digital), , Digital Video (Dolby-E, AC-3, PCM), Analog Video (your various Lt/Rt stuff like VHS), Analog Video 5.1...all controlled with an AMX (AMX can control the CSP-1200 via the RS232 port) and there are inputs to spare!

Again, nothing is perfect but it might be worth considering in your future special venue or high-end installations.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-02-2002 10:28 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also like to hear my Non-Sync through the surrounds (like the CP-45). The CP-650 only uses the Left/Right screen speakers for Non-Sync.

Pete: About that cable...even though I am sure your modification would allow me to keep just one cable for use between CP-500s and CP-650s my argument was really that no modification to the mic/mux cable should have been necessary in the first place.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-02-2002 11:28 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it not possible to create a custom format with the NonSync in the surrounds like with the CP500? I haven`t worked with the CP650 yet nor read the manual, does it still have the custom format capabilities of the CP500?
Michael

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: