Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lifespan of dry intermittents

Author Topic: Lifespan of dry intermittents
Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2002 09:26 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious as to how long an intermittent movement can generally run dry before seizing. I've only heard of one intermittent that seized during the course of normal operations due to obstructed oil feed tube (Simplex 35), and was wondering how long it was probably bereft of oil before calling it quits. This is assuming the movement has residual oil, but is otherwise drained of oil.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-31-2002 10:51 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well years ago at the Toronto Eastons Centre we had a Ernamann 9 that ran bone dry for a Loooooong time and finally seized.

Imperial oil estimated that the varnish on the star was about 5 months of no oil

Also at the same theatre several Prevost's ran dry for some extended periods

film done way wrong

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2002 12:48 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the Westrex 7000 sites I service occasionally got a new operator. He didn't know where to put oil in the 7000, didn't think to ask. After 8 months of all day running with no oil, he started to comment that the machine was very noisy and the picture was jumpy. I took a look, and finding no oil, topped it up. I was horrified to see orange particles of RUST floating in the site window. Needless to say a refurbished intermittent was required, and yours truly had the the thankless task of fitting it.
The working surfaces were pitted and badly scored, there was also areas of blueing, which would indicate fairly high temperatures ahd been reached within. Oddly enough the box never siezed! On the other side of the coin I've seen an FP20 intermittent sieze solid, which had plenty of oil in.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-31-2002 01:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had a vic4 movement that was bound up with the pin in the slot of the star wheel.
After getting it appart we polished the slot face to remove the scoringwith a dremel and valve grinding compound filled it with oil and 4 years later it is still running.

At another site a projectionist that was being let go put honey in all 7 FP20's and 2 DP75's. They ran only a day before requiring a rebuild

I also know of a bauer U2 that someone put green soap into mistaking it for the green bauer oil. Siezed up very fast but when I took it apart it sure was clean

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-31-2002 05:01 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The V-4.....the Energizer Bunny of projectors The cam is very tough and usually good enough that after new seals and ultrasonic cleaning of star and cam, the intermittent will keep running.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-31-2002 06:27 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ORC (Cinecita) movements are not quite as forgiving. One of our theatres in a very remote location blew 5 of them within a 6-month period.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: