Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bulb disposal

Author Topic: Bulb disposal
Alex Grasic
Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2002 12:51 AM      Profile for Alex Grasic   Email Alex Grasic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need some help!! I have a huge number of Xenon bulbs that I have to dispose of. I have read several message on the proper disposal of them where there is the step of smashing them to decompress them. I just want to be sure I won't get injured doing this in the process. All of my bulbs are OSRAM bulbs such as 4000W, 6000W, 7000W and 3000W short arc bulbs.

If I were to repack them into the plastic container they were originally shipped in and their original OSRAM box, taping the box closed and then smashing it, would I be at any risk? Or should I pack them with yet another layer before throwing them against the floor?

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2002 01:40 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a variety of ways to destroy xenon bulbs that are perfectly safe. One method involves wrapping the bulb in a balnket, and then putting that in a plastic garbage bag. Then you can smash the bulb.

My preferred method is to leave them in the packaging (not the box) and through them into the compactor. I stand off to the side so that I am not in the path of any flying glass-not that there ever is any. I figure steel is the best protection against debris.

Alex Grasic
Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2002 02:00 AM      Profile for Alex Grasic   Email Alex Grasic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only one problem with compactors...they compact and not crush. This may still leave the bulb intact. I want to be sure that the bulb is crushed. The blanket/bag thing sounds like a good idea...something to think about

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-31-2002 02:00 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....but do one at a time. Also, see the thread about xenon bulb disposal I bumped to the top for you.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2002 03:14 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I realize it's a bit wordy but here is what Osram has to say on the matter. You can find the referenced document on their website

Quoted from Osram/Sylvania Document # DQ4-144-059
WARNING:
In accordance with ANSI/IESNA Standard RP-27, this XBO bulb is a Risk Group 3 product.
Read and understand this warning before using this bulb!
XBO lamps are at high internal pressure when cold (up to 35 bar
or approximately 525 psi) and at operating temperature (up to 80
bar or approximately 1200 psi at bulb wall temperatures of 600°C
to 800°C). Therefore, XBO lamps may unexpectedly rupture
resulting in the discharge of hot fragments of quartz and/or glass
and metal . In the event of such a rupture, there is a risk of
personal injury, burns and fire. Only handle lamps with their
protective covers in place. Do not handle lamps without their
protective covers unless government-approved (OSHA-approved
in the U.S.A.) safety glasses, facemask (with neck protector),
chest protector, and gauntlets are worn.
RUPTURE & RADIATION (UV-VISIBLE-IR) HAZARDS:
1. Intense ultraviolet (UV), visible, and infrared (IR) radiation is also generated during operation. This
radiation can cause permanent damage to the eyes (including blindness) and serious injury to the skin
(including burns and blistering). Some operating lamps also generate ozone (O3). Others, designated
“OFR,” are constructed of materials that prevent the generation of ozone. See the “Ozone
Generation” section below.
2. To avoid eye damage, other personal injury and/or property damage, the lamp MUST be operated in
a suitable fixture. A suitable fixture is one that will prevent the arc from being viewed directly while
operating. It is ventilated to the outside for those lamps that produce ozone and, in the event of a
rupture, will prevent hot (up to 800°C), flying fragments of quartz and/or glass or metal from escaping
into the surrounding area.
3. To minimize the risk of a lamp rupture, the lamp must be replaced at or before the end of rated life
(see catalog for rated life) or when the lamp shows signs of advanced blackening or quartz
devitrification (recrystalization, a white, frosted appearance).
4. XBO lamps are constructed of quartz glass, tungsten electrodes and either tungsten support rods or
molybdenum foils. High wattage XBO lamps used for cinema film projection have nickel-plated end
caps (bases). Reflectorized XBO lamps have a dichroic-coated borosilicate glass reflector.

LAMP DISPOSAL:
1. There is a risk that a lamp could rupture because of its high internal pressure (both hot and at room
temperature). A lamp rupture could result in personal injury or property damage from flying
fragments of glass and/or metal. Therefore, spent (end-of-life) lamps should ALWAYS be stored in
the protective covers and packaging in which they originally came, and ultimately de-pressurized
before release for disposal. The following is one example of a de-pressurizing method for XBO
lamps prior to disposal, but it may not be the most suitable or appropriate method depending on the
circumstance:
· The operator must wear government-approved (OSHA-approved in the U.S.A.) safety glasses,
facemask (with neck protector), chest protector, and gauntlets during this entire procedure.
· With protective lamp covers in place, place lamps1 into steel drum2 and lock down cover with
bolt ring and bolt.
· Drop drum onto solid surface (concrete floor) from at least five feet. Increase height as needed
to ensure all lamps are de-pressurized.
· Wait for dust to settle (about 5 minutes) before opening drum. Loosen bolt and allow gas to
escape before complete removal of cover.
1 The lamps should not exceed the half-full point in the drums. Adjust the maximum number of lamps
accordingly.
2 8, 20, or 30-gallon drums, depending on quantity of lamps to be de-pressurized, are available. Drums of 20-
gauge steel are recommended and are available from many safety supply companies.
2. Disposal of spent lamps must be in accordance with applicable federal, state/provincial, and local
regulations. State laws differ in their disposal requirements.
3. U.S. lamp users may obtain information concerning relevant agencies and disposal regulations from
the Federal Superfund Hotline (Resource Conservation & Recovery Act) at 800-424-9346.
Information may be available as to the appropriate state agencies to contact regarding disposal issues.
4. OSRAM SYLVANIA Products Inc. cannot advise lamp users as to general or specific disposal
regulations for federal, state/provincial, and/or local municipalities.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: