Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home

This topic has been transferred to this forum: Film-Yak.    
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 007 only 1.0?

Author Topic: 007 only 1.0?
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-30-2002 06:11 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I watched the DVD edition of "Goldfinger". While the disc is nicely done - they even put on a director`s commentary after so many years - the soundtrack was only in mono. Since the Bond movies were (and still are) major productions, I wonder if there was no stereo soundtrack?
Michael

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-30-2002 06:57 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"DR NO", "FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE", "GOLDFINGER" were released in a flat aspect ratio and the remaining ones with Sean Connery and the only one with George Lazenby in "ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE" were released in scope but only in mono sound. Stereo was used for the fist time when Roger Moore became Bond. It is possible to turn a mono soundtrack into stereo as long as there are seperate sound elements for music, dialogue and sound effects. This method however do not sound very good if the music was recorded in mono. If the music track was in multi track stereo and new sound effects tracks was created, the results can be stunning. It is very expensive to do this so this is the reason why many films that had a mono track when they played in a theatre is released in mono on DVD. A classic example how great a mono sound film can be in remixed stereo is the original "TERMINATOR.

-Claude

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2002 06:58 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Last night I watched the DVD edition of "Goldfinger". While the disc is nicely done - they even put on a director`s commentary after so many years - the soundtrack was only in mono. Since the Bond movies were (and still are) major productions, I wonder if there was no stereo soundtrack?

The first three 007 movies (Goldfinger being the third) were not really "big" productions. The budgets and scale of the productions didn't increase until movie number four (Thunderball). *Most* movies in the 1960s were mixed and released in mono. In addition, movies in the action-adventure genre weren't considered to have much "prestige" (has the genre ever?). So, yes, Goldfinger is mono. However, there *are* people who believe Goldfinger and some of the other 007 productions pre-Dolby Stereo era (Moonraker) were in stereo.

The DVD versions and their original language soundtrack (Region 1):

Dr. No - Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
From Russia With Love - Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
Goldfinger - Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
Thunderball - Dolby Digital 5.1
You Only Live Twice - Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
On Her Majesty's Secret Service - Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
Diamonds Are Forever - Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
Live And Let Die - Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
The Man With The Golden Gun - Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
The Spy Who Loved Me - Dolby Digital 5.1
Moonraker - Dolby Digital 5.1
For Your Eyes Only - Dolby Digital 5.1
Octopussy - Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
A View To A Kill - Dolby Digital 5.1
The Living Daylights - Dolby Digital 5.1
Licence To Kill - Dolby Digital 5.1
GoldenEye - Dolby Digital 5.1
Tomorrow Never Dies - Dolby Digital 5.1
The World Is Not Enough - Dolby Digital 5.1 (Surround EX)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-30-2002 07:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This does NOT belong in this forum. Please check the forum descriptions. Moving

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: