Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » PlayTime

Author Topic: PlayTime
Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2002 12:06 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jacques Tati's masterpiece PlayTime (1967) was presented at an honorary performance at this years Cannes Festival.
One new 70mm/dts print has been struck, and dts, France informs that You can choose from two soundtrack posibilities: a normal dts and a special dts 6.0 version = the original todd-ao type mix.
The dts homepage says nothing about this new alternative.
How does one do this in practice ? -New wiring ? -Extra card for the processor ?
Karen, please...

Per

|  IP: Logged

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2002 12:30 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that PLAYTIME was originally in mono. Were the original 70mm prints in stereo or has it been remixed? Also, does anyone know if this film is going to be re-released in the U.S.? That would be cool.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2002 12:34 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to an article I recently read concerning PLAYTIME, while the movie was shot in standard 65mm Spherical, the 70mm prints were hard-matted to 1.66 to accomodate a new 8-track stereo format. Why it would be necessary to mask that much to add two additional inboard tracks is beyond me.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2002 03:41 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Todd AO Mix on DTS requires a Special Venue Player and some rewiring of the out puts.

We had to do this when we screened Patton at this years Widescreen Weekend.

Andy Tait at DTS in the UK kindly helped us out with this.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2002 05:39 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for Your anwers.
The original 70mm print in Denmark was tradtional todd-ao sound set-up with 5 front channels and a very impressive mix in front, but i not not recall if Mr Tati used the surround for anything. Would love to hear that again, -but on the other hand: with a maximum of three performances only, i'm afraid it will be to expensive. -Maybe i should go for the standard dts-mix. -Anyone heard this..?

Mono ? -no way: Mr Tati made a lot out of being quoted this:
"someone invented the 70mm format - and someone invented the four (!) tracks. I don't see, why anyone should want to return to black and white and single track sound"

/p.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-28-2002 06:05 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the same print with the same timecode would play both ways, depending on the disks (and player).

The special venue player referred to is simply a DTS-6D with an additional D to A chip inserted into a socket which is already present. IIRC, LC and RC emerge on what would ordinarily be the LS & RS surround connections and the single surround track comes out the erstwhile subwoofer line.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2002 06:30 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per, Thanks for the info. But now I have a few concerns about the Criterion DVD. First and foremost, why is it in mono? Secondly, the aspect ratio on the disc is 1.85:1. But they say that Tati designed the film to be seen in 70mm. If that's the case, shouldn't the aspect ratio be 1.66:1?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-28-2002 07:03 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DVD Criterion Jacques Tati titles have gone out of print.
You can still find them at stores for the time being.

M. Hulot's Holiday
Mon Oncle
Playtime

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2002 07:23 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have run a couple of 35mm US prints of Playtime, and as I recall, I always ran it at 1.66:1, and the film looked great. I can't imagine why Criterion would have transferred the film at 1.85. Typically, I find that their releases are fairly high quality and well researched.

I really hope that I have the opportunity to see that 70mm print. I think it would be another experience altogether. It really is an amazing film.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2002 07:29 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, my post this morning didn't make it...

Anyway, you need a DTS6D-SV player that is setup for 6-channel configuration. It must be a DTS-6D (3-drive) player. It cannot be a DTS-6 (2-drive) player.

The cinema processor must be capable of left, left center, center, right center, and right screen channels plus mono surrounds.

If you have all that, you will need to rewire the DTS outputs to the CP. Please send me an email so that I can send you the channel assignments.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2002 01:17 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I got the channel assignments for the "original 70mm mix": Left, inter left, Center, inter right, Right.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2002 04:51 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Karen

For my late autumn run, the print will be cleared for three shows only, so i think, just buying the additional 70mm readers will be enough expence for this one. - The "upcoming 70mm dts release list" is not direcly impressing.
But i do look forward to show this old masterpiece again.

BTW: Patton - same thing, according to Dick... -Is Patton then also available for "ordinary" dts mix..?

Per

PS: PlayTime playdates will be posted somewhere around here, som local freaks (read: friends) may be in for this special occasion.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-31-2002 07:50 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you already have the requisite DTS-6D processor then taking the extra steps to play the full 6-track version are not difficult ...provided you already have the B chain.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2002 01:04 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got me, Steve

When the old Bang & Olufsen Todd-AO panel went out 1992, it was replaced by CP65 and MPU-1, and later a first generation dts player and SRDex was added. -The newer dts could be lend in screen 2, but those 3 holes in front instead of 5, even with them old Altecs still sitting somewhere in the house, seems a bit to much of a remodelling for three performances only.

p.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: