Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DRAS error rate

Author Topic: DRAS error rate
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2002 07:47 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A question: today I finally adjusted my DD reader (the first one I've adjusted alone!).

While DRAS10 said 1.5/2.5 in "error rate" window, my CP500 said 5.5/6.0 (don't worry, was a "known BAD" print! I have now 3.5 on other prints).
On DRAS' instructions I've read that the two values should be almost equal...

What is wrong?

Bye
Antonio

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-28-2002 09:02 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the specific reasons but I have been told that DRAS is not 100% accurate.

This came to me from my old supervisor who got this directly from Lonny J. I was told that the only sure way to know that the system is running correctly is to use a scope.

DRAS is accurate enough to do "check-ups" on the system to see that everything is running OK, provided you have done a full tune up with a scope and have a reference point from which to compare.

You do the full tune up. Make sure it's running well. THEN use DRAS to take a reading. Remember the reading(s) that DRAS gives you and use it the next time you do the check up. (I just took screen shots of the program and renamed them. (Theatre#-House#-Date... DRAS-298-12-8/02) Then, when I needed to refer back to them I could call them up.

Also, different pieces of film will cause differences in the readings. The reference readings that you just took may be virtually meaningless if a different piece of film is used.

If you keep these references the same between visits THEN you know that DRAS is giving you the right reading.\

On the other hand, if DRAS has you up and running where you weren't before... More power to you!

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2002 10:13 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Thanks Randy for the info. I can understand "not 100% accurate" but error rate from 2.5 to 5.5...

I'll keep this in my mind!

Bye
Antonio

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2002 02:25 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are we talking WINDRAS here?

The early release tended to do things like this sometimes. There is an update which corrected this problem.

Never seen DRAS10 (DOS) do anything other than agree with the CP

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2002 04:28 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, was DRAS10 (DOS).

Bye
Antonio

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-30-2002 09:52 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THe only way is to use a scope
Dras Win Dras is a fast checkup but not an acurate way of doing the alignment

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2002 06:11 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gordon.

Today I've show Stuart Little 2. Was in DTS but the Dolby Digital error rate for reel 4 (on the just calibrated reader) showed 2.5! What a satisfaction, was my first aligned DD reader!

Bye
Antonio

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2002 08:29 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same thing happen to me today. I was using both my scope and dras10 at the same time (actually just using the scope, I just turned the laptop on to show a projectionist) I was diagnosing a problem that turned out to be bad sound drum bearings. The CP500 showed 6-F-7-F-F-8-7-F-etc... the scope showed everything was in order except a lot of bouncing (the bad bearings). Dras10 showed everthing was ok except the "vertical jitter" in the 12-20 range, but the error rate in Dras10 showed 0-F-4.4-F-2.1-F-1-4.2-0-F-etc...
I was running Dras10 under Win2K pro. I'm going to try it under Win98 and Dos 6.22 later this week on the same machine, same laptop just to see what is going on. Oh, it was a very old loop of cat. 69P that usually runs around a 6

Mark Hathaway
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2002 07:34 PM      Profile for Mark Hathaway   Email Mark Hathaway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little while ago I did a DD reader alignment on a kinoton in the screening room of one of our labs. When I'd finished we ran a new print of theirs, and saw error rates of 0.0. to 1.5 for a whole spool. Before that I'd never seen error rates that low.

Mark Hathaway
Senior Technician,
Atlab Image and Sound Technology,
Melbourne, Australia

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: