Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Optimizing the dolby error rate (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Optimizing the dolby error rate
Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 08-25-2002 02:01 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What can be done to lower the dolby digital error rate? is the only thing you can do is adjust the video level, or is there more to it?

Josh

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2002 05:45 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of things Josh!

Video level is crucial, also mechanical alignment of the reader (use a PC and DRAS10/WINDRAS, with calibrated alignment film). The alignment of a penthouse reader to the mech can affect the error rate, as does the smoothness of the film movement through the reader, so a bouncy reel or platter won't help, and wow/flutter won't help either.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-25-2002 01:42 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, look at the tension rollers in the CAT 700 and check to see how stable they are running. Any bounce is too much. Also, check and see if the center roller in your AW-3 pay-out heads have the holdback tension spring installed and working. Those should help to improve the error rate.

Lot of people have removed those springs for one reason or another.

Pete Naples is right on target with his post.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-25-2002 01:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the specific goal here? Are you consistently getting high error readings and want to lower them overall, or is there one print that is giving you grief dropping in and out you want to try and get to play? The reader can be calibrated for a specific film, and there have been a couple of times in the past that I did just that to make it play. However do note that re-aligning it for that one film DID and WILL knock it off for all others to play back properly.

When aligning I recommend you use an "average" loop from a Deluxe printed trailer. Just make sure you look at a bunch of different loops on the DRAS to find an "average one" of the variables. I've never been pleased after calibrating with actual Dolby loops. Also note that getting readings below 2 on a cat701 is almost impossible. The cat699 and 700 penthouses are easy to align such that 0-1 is a common reading.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2002 04:49 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, it's not almost impossible to get below '2' with a 701!

I've got stacks of those in use up here and regularly see '0'.

Admittedly these are the newer type with the large diameter lens on the camera.

Also I've never touched the alignment of these, they are exactly as they came out of the box.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-25-2002 04:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I HAVE seen a 0 on a cat701 before, but it is very, very rare.

Newer type?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-25-2002 05:07 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen 0's on my Kelmar (LED illumination) basement readers but that's with exceptionally good prints.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-25-2002 05:27 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The card and lens have been upgraded in the 701 series early last year and we see 0 out of the box in addition to the BACP Digital penthouse.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-25-2002 06:10 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh, as a rule of thumb, if the error rate does not exceed 5 and the system does not drop out, don't putz with it. It is happy.

If the error rate creaps up over a period of time, it might be necessary to change the lamp in the 700. If you had an error rate of 1, I would guess that the lamp is in very good condition.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 08-26-2002 12:21 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just looking for generic troubleshooting should the need arrise to calibrate the reader. We've got a cat 700 at work and on "The emperor's new clothes, saw the error rate drop to 1 for a brief second, the best reading I've seen here. throughout that reel it was holding constant 2's.

Brad, When you said you calibrated the system for a particular film, what exactly did you do to the unit to calibrate it.

Josh

It is indeed a sad day, the last day of summer. School begins Monday at 8:25 am <shudder>

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-26-2002 01:18 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a regular alignment of the reader with a scope and DRAS. The only difference being to have the actual film that you want it calibrated to running.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-26-2002 03:12 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josh....just grab WFHS by the seat of its pants and shake the crap out of it, and show them how good you can be. Don't settle for hind tit.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2002 07:19 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who have gotten error rates of 0, which SRD processor is being used... DA20, CP650, etc., or are they all equally good?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-27-2002 09:12 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The processor _Shouldn't_ make a difference. I have had "0" on DA-10, DA-20, CP-500 and CP-650s. If any of those may be fudging things a bit, I'd say it is the CP-650.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Martin Dean
Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2002 09:44 AM      Profile for Martin Dean   Email Martin Dean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are using an older penthouse reader, pre LED you may also want to check the bulb. As the bulb degrades the error rates will increase. Put a new bulb in and you usually find the error rate improves back to where it should be.

Also if you are running a component engineering basement reader on a Westar or Century you may be having problems with vertical jitter. The problem appears as intermittent 'Fails' of the digital, a poorer error rat and can lead to they system timing out of digital on a regular basis. Endless time can be spent trying to track down the cause (which has may have no other visible effect), or you can do a small mod to help stabalise the top damper arm. This requires hooking a second spring from the top of the exisitng spring down onto the fixed part of the reverse scan assembly between the two tension arms. This will require drilling a small hole and inserting a small self-tapping screw to act as a fixing stud for the lower end of the spring. The spring used should be very similar to the one already fitted. If in doubt try a few springs and shorten them if more tension is required. If you go to tight there will be an effect on the analogue, as you will introduce some wow and flutter.

This mod vastly improves the stability of the digital and has no apparent affect on the analogue. I have carried out this mod on quite a few 'problem' machines and every time it has cured the problem. It can also improve wow and flutter effects on both digital and analogue.

Care should be taken if you want to do this mod as you will create swarf as you drill the hole. The very early version of this mod used a rubber band wrapped around the head as a temporary measure, but the spring is a more permamanet version.

The vertical jitted seems to be more prevalent on this type of sound head due to the lack of film that is wraped around the sound drum.

This mod is not official. We recieved all sorts of advice about changing sound drum bearings and the compression springs in the sound drum assembley, as well as adjsting the tension of the sound drum compression spring (this can make a small improvement). But the mod described above was apparently the ultimate cure.

------------------
Martin Dean

martinidean@charter.net

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: