Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » V5

Author Topic: V5
Michael Elam
Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2002 02:53 PM      Profile for Michael Elam   Email Michael Elam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't get the shutter on a V5 to time correctly, I can get very close but the top half of the picture still has ghost which runs
upward, the bottom half is ok. Is anyone aware of schematics for the
V5 and Cinemaccnica consoles that were converted from Italian to English? with the connections stating which color wire is being used for what? (like we do here in the U.S)

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-24-2002 03:14 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the ghost get progressively worse as the mech runs? If so I'd guess that the shutter gearbox is buggered. These tend to fail quite regularly on Vic 5s, which, as Pete Naples has noted on another thread, must be quite a nice money spinner for Cinemecannica.

If not, then try replacing both the drive belts before retiming the shutter.

If that doesn't cure the problem, I'm out of ideas...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-24-2002 04:59 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you follow the timing instructions in the Vic5 book as it is different than most shutters
The newer steel gears in the gear box are not very failure prone nore are the older lones if people take the time to keep a sufficient lubrication in them
Which console do you have there are severl and the odds that they were rewired to suite the automation you are using

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-24-2002 07:38 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The V-5 shutter has slots so it can be fine tuned if the proper timing point can not be had on the drive gear on the shutter box. Chances are you have the shutter box with the nylon drive gear which should be checked religiously that the tank is packed with grease since the design of the box naturally throws away the lubricant away from the gears. The shutter box usually will start to make a clicking noise as the gear teeth fail and the timing will get "rubbery"...and finally die. The new steel gear box was designed to give greater life, but we will see in a few years of service. We have 2 or 3 nylon gear shutter boxes come through our shop per week ( out of the 100's we have installed ) and most of the problems is a lack of grease....I have (4) V-5 units that I installed in 1979 with the original boxes, and a good owner - projectionist.
The Console....is USA made or Italian.....the Model # on the engraved plate + the serial number ( older console models have a manufacture date on a "sticker type" label on the back ) would help since their are several version of wire harness ( + specific modifications for certain customers ).
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Michael Elam
Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2002 01:54 PM      Profile for Michael Elam   Email Michael Elam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The V5 is quite and stable. This unit is being retrofitted onto a V8
pedastal not a console, the pedastal has three termination blocks
up inside the frame....block 1... has numbers 21 to 29 then 64-65-66
block 2 has numbers 31 to 37 and block 3..has numbers 2 to 7 then
62-63 and 9 to 18. The capactiors for the motor is up under the back end of the pedastal.

Thanks!!!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: