Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS and 70mm (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS and 70mm
Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2002 08:08 PM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Iīm excited with the possibility of watching my first 70 mm projection if the spanish exhibitors decided to show Apocalypse Now Redux and I have a couple of doubts:

1) I heard that the 70 mm print has DTS sound but does it have an analogic Dolby SR track īcause I donīt think it has magnetic tracks.

2) This is a question for any format. Is the timecode of DTS the same for all the disks or each copy of each country is operative with the disks of his own language?

And now if you can put a photo or a link with this new 70 mm prints with DTS I would be happy.

Thanks y un saludo

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-21-2002 08:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard of any 70mm prints of Redux
The older ones were magnetic format 43
If you do run DTS it is recomended that a backup player is operating with a backup set of disks through a failsafe board DTS has
There is no analogue back up track
In 6 months of running Titanic in DTS70 we never had a default to the backup player in fact most of the time it was left turned off

Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2002 08:35 PM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your answer but you have dissapointed me a little īcause I thought that Redux was shown in Cannes in 70 mm and another film handler told me that his company is gonna show Redux in 70 in Madrid but I trust you and all the people here more than this guy so I think that Iīll have to wait to see a DTS70 show a few years more.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-21-2002 08:44 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many times a 70 does get struck for Europe and never shows up here across the pond let us know if it is in 70

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2002 03:06 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFAIK there were no 70mm prints of Redux in Europe . If there were my sticky little fingers would have had hold of it by now!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-22-2002 04:50 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To answer your second question: The timecode on the print contains a serial number which is unique for each film title but the same for different language versions of the same movie. When the Timecode is read, the dts processor checks if it matches the serial number on the disc. So usually you can play one print in different language versions if you have the corresponding discs. I have played English discs with German release prints a number of times and it worked very well.
In some rare cases it didn`t. For instance, the German release print of "Hannibal" had an additional logo inserted at the beginning of the movie and the people who prepared the German print had the Timecode start at that logo. So if you played it with the English discs, the sound would be offset by the length of that additional material. The offset was too great to correct it by programming a different offset on the processor.
That is a feature of dts which I adore since I hate the dubbed German versions!!!
Michael

P.S. I vaguely remember that a friend who works at a 70mm-capable theater in Berlin tried to get a 70mm print of AN Redux but the distributor told him there were none.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2002 11:57 AM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miguel,

I am finding out about APOCALYPSE NOW RETUX in DTS 70mm. We did a 35mm version but I am not sure about DTS 70mm. So, stay tuned...

Yes, the alternate language (other than the original release language) discs have the same serial number.

Yes, on DTS 70mm formatted film, there is no analog backup (no mag, no optical). For backup, you can connect a second DTS system in series using our DTS 70mm failsafe boards and you can add a second reader. But for most exhibitors, they feel very comfortable with no backup because the DTS 70mm system has a very reliable playback history.

Karen at DTS
khutgren@dtsonline.com

Miguel Angel Martorell
Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2002 07:02 PM      Profile for Miguel Angel Martorell   Email Miguel Angel Martorell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again to all of you. By the way Mr. Vaughan (or can I call you Dick?). If Iīm not mistaken you are involved with a kind of 70 mm film festival or something so if itīs repited, please call me.
Un saludo.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2002 02:43 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miguel

Dick is fine. Only my bank manager and the police call me Mr Vaughan

Yes you are right . Every March as part of the Bradford Film Festival we host a Widescreen Weekend showcasing Cinerama 3 strip,70mm etc.
One of the highlights this year was the newly restored print of Patton in 70mm with DTS sound.

Karen's colleagues at DTS in the UK helped us out with this .
Next year it will be held on 21 -23 March.

keep taking a look here on Film Tech or at http://www.bradfordfilmfestival.org.uk/ for further anouncements!

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2002 04:38 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miguel,

There is a theater in Italy where the owner ask always for foreign prints. Then he play them with Italian DTS disks. Why this? Because UK or foreign prints are better than italian ones...

Bye
Antonio

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2002 04:57 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miguel, I've got a few things about 70mm DTS on my web site and about the Wide Screen Weekend here

------------------

Cheers, Thomas
www.in70mm.com
www.dp70.com
www.70mm.dk

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2002 11:31 AM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Turns out that we did not do a DTS 70mm version of APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX. We did do it in 35mm.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-23-2002 11:53 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio,
you are soooo right. Italian prints seem to come not from a printing lab, but directly from hell.
Michael

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2002 06:31 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

Once I projected a movie that was so perfect on the screen I wondered what has happened to the lab.

Then I noted a sticker on the cans: "Deluxe UK"...

You should see now Italian's deluxe prints...

Antonio

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-23-2002 10:24 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We get prints from Italian labs very often in Germany. To be fair, we get bad prints from all sorts of locations. But the ones we get from Italy are often really bad. They seem to be a little cheaper. Since Germany is a big market, and some movies open with many hundreds of prints, that price difference adds up enough for the distributors to get the prints from abroad. I guess those labs often have to work under immense time pressure. But the lack of print quality nowadays is a universal problem which has been discussed a lot on these pages.
Michael

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: