Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Can I get my own DTS trailer ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Can I get my own DTS trailer ?
Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2002 05:23 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love DTS sound over every other format. It has been three years nearly since we installed the dts unit bought from Capitol Motion Picture Supply Company from New York. We are yet to experience anything like a 'problem' with it.

I usually pay much attention to dts recording in Hollywood films and I feel WARNER BROS, FOX and DREAMWORKS movies generally come out with excellent DTS recording. While some movies from other studios do sometimes feature excellent dts recording too, it appears like these studios do not mix their movies that well in dts all the time.

In my opinion certain sequences from the movie SWORDFISH featured the best dts recording I have heard in my theatre. Yes, in comparison to THE MATRIX, SPIDERMAN, STARWARS, PEARL HARBOUR, MUMMY and other movies.

The opening blast sequence in SWORDFISH, in my opinion, made complete use of the ability of dts to truly amaze people inside my theatre.

I was looking to find if I could use those 2 minutes sequence itself as a trailer for DTS inside my theatre. In this regard, the people at WARNER BROS here are not able to do much at all - all prints of SWORDFISH they have are completely worn out and wont look well to begin a show with.

I was wondering how I could get those two minutes of SWORDFISH footage - Starting with the dialogue : what is wrong with that movie and ending with the sequence : a ball rolls over to the area where the hacker is lying on the floor.

I will need the dts DISC-A also. Will DTS itself help ?

------------------

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-21-2002 05:32 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You will get zero assistance from anyone. DTS does not own the rights to the film and will not give out the discs without studio permission. Warner ownes the footage you seek, but I can guarantee you they will not print up copies of SwordFish for you to use as an audio demo. Even if they were willing to make the prints, I can guarantee you they will not hand them out for free. They will want $$$ for the cost of the prints and then they will want $$$ for the exhibition rights. But even at that, they will never do it in the first place. Bottom line, give it up.

Regarding certain studios making better tracks than others, I don't think there is any truth to that. A good mix is created by a single person or group of talented individuals. The studios have little to do with it. As an example, Gary Rydstrom is one of the most talented guys in the trade and he has mixed for just about all of the studios.

By the way, did you just compare one of the best mixes of the last 10 years to what is most probably the worst mix of the last 10 years? (The Matrix=good The Mummy=bad) (shudders at the thought of having to listen to The Mummy again)

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2002 07:17 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The MUMMY in that was MUMMY RETURNS. MUMMY was bad but not the MUMMY RETURNS.

To give an example here :

THE SIXTH SENSE from TOUCHSTONE was so badly recorded that the dts did sound like mono.

Of course there are exceptions for FOX too- their ENTRAPMENT and Me,Myself and Irene were very badly recorded in dts that we had the audience complain that these movies sounded like they were in mono. We did agree with them.

I do know that DTS does not own the rights for the movies that incorporate their sound. But would they not like to do something as simple as ask the studio for 2 minutes of footage from a print that will forever be sealed in a can. As to the disc, I can secure the disc from the local Warner guy here.

If I were the dts person, I would very happily do it. If dts would not want to do it, I would think they dont care. If they try but are not successful, I would appreciate it and do something more. But, I truly wish to believe they will help me out here.

------------------

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-21-2002 07:28 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is always the "Buzz and Bill" demostration film from DTS which you could show as a short to show off your system....or cut a portion of an action scene to show.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-21-2002 07:47 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE BUZZ & BILL SHOW isn't nearly as much fun as I hoped it would be...and why aren't there any scenes from JURASSIC PARK?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-21-2002 09:24 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the Buzz and Bill comes with a not not for public exihbition

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-21-2002 09:34 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the Buzz and Bill the one with the two guys sitting at the mixing console talking about DTS. Featured scenes from Far and Away, Backdraft and Born on the fourth of July? If so that was made back when the DTS units first came out and Jurassic Park had not been released yet. It was the demo we watched when we set up our DTS unit for the Jurassic Park premier.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-21-2002 10:59 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buzz and Bill was a very effective promotional that many of my customers used to advertise improvements in their cinema sound systems. SDDS trailers can also be put together as a set to create a short for promotional use. Dolby had a nice short but now promote advertising materials such as trailers, posters, banners, window stickers, ad slicks, wall plaques, ballons, shirts, caps et cetera for cinema promotion.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2002 11:35 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not consider having your own trailer made and mixed in DTS. I imagine it would cost a good bit, but it would be your own custom demo for showing off your theatre and sound system. It could be almost anything you want it to be.

Does anyone here have a clue what such a trailer might begin to cost?

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2002 12:17 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS does not own the rights to any of the films we work with. If you want film, you must ask the release company - it belongs to them and only they can release it.

If you want a DTS logo trailer, I can send that to you.

The BUZZ AND BILL show is a demo and test film used during equipment installation. It is not meant for public viewing.

JURASSIC PARK is not on the demo film because it was released after our demo film was made.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2002 12:18 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If movie discs are needed, you must contact the film distibuator. The movie discs belong to the studio, not to DTS.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2002 01:43 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note that all the clips on the "Buzz and Bill" film are from movies that were released in 70mm!

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2002 03:48 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Jessie, you are correct! And, that is because they all had 6-track mixes and, at that time, 6-track mixes were not the norm as it is today.

Karen at DTS

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-21-2002 05:31 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering how one could even work a "DTS demo" clip into the playlist of snipes commonly worked into the front of a feature film on a commercial showing. Too often, there is something like 10 to 20 minutes worth of trailers and commercials tacked on the front of a movie. By the time the DTS demo clip showed up the audience would be so impatient to see the feature they would be ready to strangle the person sitting in front of them in the next row.

DTS has released a number of home theater demo DVDs. As cheap as some home theaters in a box have become, it might be tempting to rig one of those things up in a type of kiosk in a theater lobby to promote DTS (and/or Dolby Digital). The only downside is that the DTS demo DVDs don't have an infinite loop feature. My Dolby Digital "We've Got the Whole World Listening" DVD can be rigged to go on infinite repeat.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-22-2002 10:50 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also since DTS was used in conection with only Universal titles at the time. The three clips are from universal films.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: