Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » INFO Neede RCA Photofone Sound head (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: INFO Neede RCA Photofone Sound head
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2002 02:44 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me if this sounds dumb but just how good is a RCA Photofone soundhead as compared to any of the other RCA sound heads?
I am thinking about picking up a Photofone but would rather not fool with it if it cannot be serviced or whatever.
Thanks.

------------------
Samuel Hunter Sr.

1 Million brain cells left, What to do?

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-20-2002 03:00 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Photophone was the brand name used by RCA for their soundheads and sound systems. Photophone brand name was sold to Toshiba of Japan and then later to an Indian company but very few, if any of those machines are in the USA....ask the person for the MI number on the engraved plate on the casting to figure what model they are offering.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2002 05:13 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The model 9030 and 9050 were well-built, heavy duty soundheads. The 9050 is basically a 9030 with an extra gear to keep the drive gears from wearing as fast. Parts for these are readily available and they're fairly easy to work on. You just need to make sure that you've got good gaskets, otherwise they can be a bit oily. I used a 9030 to drive my Brenkert BX-80, which is one of the biggest, slowest-starting heaviest machines there is, equipped with 6,000' reels...and the soundhead never flinched.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2002 06:44 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok guys, I found the info.
The model and ser number are as follows:
Model MI-9050-A serial no. P-2002
Sounds like it may be a good one if it is a 9050.
I guess that covers it.
Thanks guys.

P.S. Would it be possible to get a motor cover and gear side door for this unit? The one I am looking at is missing them.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2002 07:12 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Sprague, Historian of The Brenkert Light Projection Company,
has written a great deal on both these sound head models. Unfortunately his great opus is not on the internet, but he is very generous about answering questions about Brenkert/RCA projection and sound equipment. He doesn't have a computer or phone, but welcomes postal mail and is very prompt in replying, at:

Robert Sprague, Historian
P.O. Box 948
Petoskey, MI 49770-6948

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2002 08:40 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, you can get any part of a 9050 that you want, either from Wolk or from John Eickhoff at Northwest. ICECO may have some too. I've seen the pictures of the head. It's also missing the hand brake. Don't bid too much on it. They're fairly easy to come by.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2002 10:54 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really would like to have a complete rig, but a lot of folks out there want what I think is way too much for something that is 40 years old or more. Sure those things are good but heck its not gold.
I would like one complete but for what I am going to do with it I cant justify 600 to 1000 bucks for one.
I also know there are quite a few of them out there and hopefully I can find one in decent shape and not spend a whole lot for it. I am not being cheap like some people think, but I am not that rich and I have to make every dollar count.
Anyway, good information so far from all you guys.
Thanks!

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2002 11:25 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 2 9050s and I tell you, they're great. Alot of people will disagree with me, which they go for the century and simplex stuff. I like the older stuff, I think over all the quality is much better. I'm practically done rebuilding my soundheads. John Eickhof sold me a totally rebuilt gearbox with NOS RCA gears, so if you need work on the gearbox, he's the one to goto. What I needed to do on mine, since it came out of a Drive In, was to replace the sound drum bearings and replaced the bearings on the pressure roller and sound drum roller on the pressure arm. Parts are a little bit more expensive than a Simplex SH1000 but are out there. Most drive in had these soundheads so there is crap all over. If you plan on running stereo I would look into a newer slit lens. The 9050 that you're getting most likely has a mount for a one piece slit lens, if that's the case you have probably a 1 1/4 mil slit lens, which is too big of a slit for a stereo cell, it would over drive the input, What you need is a .5mil slit. John sells brand new one piece slits if you need it. But that's something just to think about.

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2002 11:31 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,
If you think the whole RCA sound head assembly is over-priced wait till you have to buy a few replacement parts. Sticker shock will really set in then. The only replacement parts I thought were reasonably priced were the ball bearings. That's because they are available from any bearing shop. About $3 each for an RCA 1040 sound head made in the mid 1930's.

I have to say something about Wolk and parts here. Since Norm moved on to LaVezzi, if you don't have a part number your pretty much out of luck. A model number and description isn't good enough. At least that's been my experience.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2002 12:51 AM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There should by lots of 9030's and 9050's around. Lots of them were taken out if favor of newer equipment. If taken care of they are just as good as any other soundhead around. Component Engineering makes a LED analog reader for them. They are simular to the 1040 thru 1070 series except bigger and have a replacable gearbox. The gearbox is the main difference between the 9030 and 9050 with the 9050 having extra gears on the outside so that the holdback sprocket gear is driven. A lot of 9050's also had a two piece slit lens. Motor covers were sometimes thrown away because they held in heat. Robins & Myers motors got hot normaly on any RCA. XL soundheads motor covers were the same way.

Should be able to find a used one for under $200. A rebuild one will cost you more due to time and parts installed.

Unless it is going into service I wouldn't worry about a narrow slit lens. This one might even have the two piece lens and would require an older casting or an Indian Photophone replacement for the narrow lens. They sound good even with the standard slit lens.

Don't spend too much on one. You may fine a couple and can make a good one inexpensively. Good Luck.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2002 08:46 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for wishing me luck DIck,
I would be thrilled to find one around $200.00 .
I am sure replacement parts are hard to find and may be expensive but I can handle small fortunes spread out over time than one huge fortune at one time.
Once I do the repairs if needed then that should be it for another 40 years.
Anyway, I have several folks out there trying to sell me some sound heads but I am hoping will say " you know, I have one that I don't need anymore and would just like to get rid of it" and that would be what I am looking for.
I need to collect all the equipment first then go about getting it into shape later. I live in North Louisianna so finding stuff like that locally is like finding teeth on a chicken. All our drive ins and old theatres were torn down a long time ago. I still am going to need a pedestal, however I have designed my own and can custom build one to suit my situation as I like to weld and build things.
Damn I can ramble can't I?
Anyway, I am confident that I will find a nice sound head one way or another and that I can find expert help from all you guys.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 08-21-2002 09:52 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another good place to look is old theater basements. Many places are filled to the gills with old projection equipment. At least that seems to be the case up here.

Josh

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2002 02:57 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Josh,
Thats the thing, there are no theatres left anywhere around here.
As I said before, a lot of you guys have it made just due to your geographical locations and the population density which means more towns and theatres per state or whatever. Well anyway, just going to wait and watch and save my pennies up.
There are two nice brenkerts here in town but the B*&^% wont sell them. That just gets me to know how close I am to a pair and cant even get one.
Bitch.
OK, till later guys. Thanks for the help so far.

------------------
Samuel Hunter Sr.

1 Million brain cells left, What to do?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-21-2002 09:36 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, I doubt you will find a 9030 or 9050 for 200 bucks, unless it is complete junk.

However, stay away from the 1040's and 1050's, they ARE junk!

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2002 11:54 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the ICECO catalog, you can get used RCA 9050's for $675.00 each and used simplex sh-1000's for $450.00 each. I have never dealt with this company so I dont know how good their quality of used stuff is. But you might want to check with them. www.iceco.com

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: