Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Raven Mini-Pac automation.

Author Topic: Raven Mini-Pac automation.
John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 10:58 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question about using my dimmer with a Raven Mini-Pac automation. The dimmer is a Xetrol IV. Problem is that the automation pulses the dimmer down when the start button is pushed and I would like to get it to pulse down when the Change-Over is opened. Is this possible? Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2002 08:39 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, John

Your question can be answered with a "yes" .. IF
I recommend that any power related problems be handled by a qualified electrician.
Your automation already sends a 120 volt AC pulse to the changeover coil, this must be converted to a "contact closing pulse". This is accomplished by adding a relay with normally OPEN contacts across the dimmer terminals and a 120 Volt AC coil to operate the relay. The relay coil is placed in PARALLEL with the changeover "OPEN" coil.

The relay MUST be enclosed in an electrical box as there is high voltage in the relay coil circuit. The contacts do not need to be very heavy as there is little current in the dimmer control circuit. All installation subject to electrical codes in your area.

Sincerely, KEN

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2002 08:46 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, John

Your question can be answered with a "yes" .. IF
I recommend that any power related problems be handled by a qualified electrician.
Your automation already sends a 120 volt AC pulse to the changeover coil, this must be converted to a "contact closing pulse". This is accomplished by adding a relay with normally OPEN contacts across the dimmer terminals and a 120 Volt AC coil to operate the relay.

The relay MUST be enclosed in an electrical box as there is high voltage in the relay coil circuit. The contacts do not need to be very heavy as there is little current in the dimmer control circuit. All installation subject to electrical codes in your area.

Sincerely, KEN

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-21-2002 10:30 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the Vintage of the MiniPec you may have a unused contsct on the changeover open relay which was usually a KUP serries
If not parrallel a second relay to its coil 24vdc coil rather than working on the 120vac side

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2002 03:49 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YEO!

Is there a diagram of the Raven Mini-Pac automation somewhere?
KEN

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2002 03:54 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a diagram of of it and I will try and scan it and send it to you.

Tim Sherman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2002 05:07 PM      Profile for Tim Sherman   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Sherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The manual and schematic for the Raven Mini-Pec are on this website under manuals. Just look under automations and then raven mini pec. I have two of these units running in my booth now. I need to do some more upgrades to them though.

------------------

http://www.autoramadrivein.com

come on out to the drive-in and spend a night out with the stars"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: