Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » All our movies compulsorily break once. Do your ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: All our movies compulsorily break once. Do your ?
Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 02:27 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very unique feature about all films that are released in INDIA (I mean and assure, every one of the 13150 Single screens and 75 Multiplex screens) is that there is a customary break in between the run of the movie for atleast 10 minutes.

During this break, theatres play some music or the other. Lights inside the auditorium are turned on brightly and the audience go over to the food counters and come back to their seats. The movie will resume in 10 minutes in most theatres and in some, the interval is usually 20 minutes.

As far as INDIAN movie are concerned, for theatrical exhibition in INDIA, the director/producers themselves mark the "INTERVAL" logo on the print and usually this INTERVAL is at half the duration of the film. That is, if the film is a three hour movie, the interval is after 1.30 hours from the start.

When it comes to foreign movies in INDIA, each theatre will itself decide when to break for the interval.

There is no requirement for an interval under the LAW in INDIA.It is only a customary thing everybody does without fail.

I for one always resented in this practice. I believe this might be one reason why 99.99 % of all INDIAN films are real CRAP. These days, I have been communicating with a number of directors and producers and asking them to do something about it. But I am sure they are so stupid and will stay this way forever.

My theatre in BANGALORE is one of the leading movie theatre for the city. I have decided to give everyone a jolt now. On 30-Aug, the movie SIGNS is releasing and I am going to play it. Without an INTERVAL.

For the first time in this country, I want to show people that our practice of INTERVAL is insanity itself and for the time being, I am already becoming a big nuisance for the food and beverages industries. But, I am going to do it anyway.

I have learnt that SIGNS is about 1 Hrs.45 mins. I am making this reslove public today among the press. And there is going to be a very big public debate here about this.

What I would like to know from those who read this is :

In your country, is there anything like this insane practice of INTERVAL at all ?

If Indian films release in your country or city, do they each come with such an INTERVAL ?

To remind people again, I do not believe INTERVALS are required at all and they are an insult to the medium of cinema itself.

------------------

|  IP: Logged

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 02:46 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I'll agree that you can show the movie thru without the break , it is a little hard with most of the Features , as you get a build up to the Intermission and titles for intermission , so you will need to cut abruptly before the normal intermission and miss some the normal build up to the break or show the Titles and just carry on which is not too professional and those waiting for their normal smoke and snack will most likely make their way the the manager to complain.

------------------
A KIWI eats,roots & Leaves.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 03:15 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We make a feature of having an intermission.
Generally anything approaching or over 2 hours gets a half time.
Kids movies as a rule all have one.

People from the cities love this & we get people driving 1 - 2 hours to watch in our 100 + year old building. (Bypassing 22 first run screens)
While this can be a real bitch to programme, the goodwill generated (and concession dollars) are incredible.

Jeff Skallan
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 03:18 AM      Profile for Jeff Skallan   Email Jeff Skallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that any movie that is less than 2 hours in length should never have an intermission and having one is indeed insanity itself! That being said, one thing I've always wanted to know is what kind of treats you are selling at the concessions stand in India. Offering no intermission (INTERVAL) may improve the flow of the film, but if everyone is accustomed to buying concessions at the break, you will probably be hurting your concessions sales.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 03:49 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a Rule when I used to do the Bollywoods at our cinema , the film distributor supplied the snacks (Indian Varity) and we would split the sales , but more that likely the customers were also shop owners who would bring their own snacks (which was discouraged) but we would make a killing on Coke Cola (we would have to get extra stocks of it for a Bollywood)
One thing you need to remember with a Bollywood Film is that it is a Family outing and the Intermission is a time to get together and talk about the movie and see other friends that may be at the movie as well.

------------------
A KIWI eats,roots & Leaves.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-19-2002 04:21 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I wonder why we have done away with intermissions. They provide a real breather in longer films, and give many people the chance to buy more drinks, drain the lizzard, or whatever. It also gets people to get the jiggles out so they arent all talking at the end of the film making it just unbearable for all.

I come from watching tons of films. But I also come from a long line of stage actors as well. I am well versed in theatrical stage productions, and no intermission just seems horrible. My ass starts to fall asleep within fourty five minutes. Could be my fat ass.

I think just about every film could use an intermission, and it also provides an easy way for people to sneak out without the embarrasment they might feel if they really just got up and walked out. I wonder how many people dont do that just because they dont want people to even think about them.

I have seen many instances where a show just went wrong and after intermission we lose about 5 percent of the audience. In a bad movie, such as pluto nash, that would be only one person.

Dave

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-19-2002 07:20 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some movies benefit from having an intermission. I really enjoyed the revival of "Lawrence of Arabia." I was still smoking cigarettes* back then, so that intermission was much-needed.

An intermission is probably good for concession sales but, really, I think the average 90min - 120min movie should just play through without a break.

~Manny (get some every morning)

*How did I quit smoking? Nicorette works. Start with a dental checkup/cleaning and a chest X-Ray.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 09:15 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In many situations, an intermission may cost you enough time to not be able to show an extra showing during your day, if we're talking about a full day of shows. If we're talking about only evening show(s), leave the intermissions. It's what they're used to, and it really doesn't hurt anything, does it?

Terry Downing
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 09:33 AM      Profile for Terry Downing   Email Terry Downing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Normally, movies in England are not shown with an interval. However, we recently showed a Bollywood 'epic and the performance was shown with an intermission! Our automation does not allow for this event, so every show had to be done manually. What a pain!! Hopefully, we won't be having too many of them.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-19-2002 11:49 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've wondered why extra-long movies don't have intermissions here in the US. For example, I thought an intermission in Titanic would have worked very well. Right after they strike the iceberg, and they realize the situation is hopeless and the ship is going to sink, have an intermission. Let the audience take a short breather and anticipate the spectacle that's about to come...

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 01:37 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I miss intermissions. The US exhibition industry did away with intermissions to cut down on staff hours and to gain an extra showing each day. I think any film over 3 hours should have an intermission.

Ky grew up in Great Falls Montana and the town decreed that all film shall have intermissions. Ky used to delight in those 80 minute Disney films that had to have intermissions. Watch two reels, have an intermission and watch two more reels.

Right now we have The Fast Runner which comes in right at three hours; it could use and itnermission.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-19-2002 03:25 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that just because people are used to not having intermissions as why we shouldnt have them is a fine thought, but really doesnt address the question of what do the customers want. Many people will leave anyway to get a break, yet they may miss a very important part of a movie.

Yes there are many short films that would seem silly to have an intermission. I have seen live shows with two intermissions just becuase it was so long.

Yes you lose a showing. For most movies, that is not really a loss. If you aren't filling up the seats on five shows, you might get closer on just four. And think about the increase in revenue to the snack counter. You get eight hits instead of five. Better for everyone. You probably would even get the same number of dollars anyway on ticket revenue for the studio. Considering it would take longer for everyone to go see it, it would have better staying power, and increase overall profitability.

That is just my opinion. As NOT an avid movie goer per se, as in going to the cinema, I cannot say with certainty that having intermissions is good for everyone. BUT, one of the main reasons I do not like to see movies in the cinema is that If I have to go to the restroom, I am going to miss something. knowing there is no chance of a film break in lord of the rings, I just wait until I can get a private screening where I can get them to turn it off every hour or so. Films are too long to go without intermissions these days. AAAAAAUUUUGH!!!!!! Some movies are just to dumb to care about anyway.

Dave

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 05:08 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From some of the figures I have seen recently (Screen Daily?) not a lot of money is being made on ticket sales any way.

Dump 1 screening per day & add an intermission.

It may help profit.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-19-2002 05:29 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"LAGAAN". the Academy Award nominated film from India is now playing at one of our art theatres and I have not seen it yet but I know it is a very long movie running almost 4 hours. I am almost sure that the movie is not playing with an intermission although it should. The movie must have been in general release in art house here in the United States for some time now because it is alread availabe on home video and perhaps I should watch the DVD at home because I can personally take an intermission break whenever the need arises.

-Claude

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 05:56 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lagaan was re-released by Sony Pictures Classics this year with an intermission. That's because the 2001 Bollywood release via Sony Entertainment TV had an intermission.

At least 1 non-Bollywood picture I know of has an intermission: The Sorrow and the Pity, about the French Resistance to the Nazis in WWII. That documentary was intended for TV in France but never saw telecast and wound up becoming a surprise hit in French theaters. The Film Forum in NYC ran The Sorrow and the Pity twice a day for 2 weeks in May 2000. Total running length, counting intermission, is 4 hours 30 minutes.

These days any non-Bollywood movie running 9 or more reels is edited to play straight through. When New Line re-released Gone with the Wind in 1998 the intermission was incorporated into the print. Search the Features and Trailers forum for the particulars.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: