Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The Century (Projectors) Family Reunion (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Century (Projectors) Family Reunion
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-18-2002 04:08 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want us to go off-topic in the Century Projector (aka "Centry Projector") thread.

I posed a question to Gordon about the differences (or similarities) between a geniune Century machine and the various copycat models (Monee, Westar, et al).

Gordon wrote:

quote:
ICECO sells the westar with century pitched gears or the original westar pitch that was actually superior in design
Also some parts are made as assemblies (upper and ower sprocket assemblies) So not all parts are interchangeable

What do you mean by "pitch" in this case?

Also, the upper and lower sprocket assemblies...you mean the gear, the shaft and the sprocket roller? Are you referring to the fact that some of them fasten with screws, whereas others fasten with conical pins?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-18-2002 04:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On many Westars the upper and lower sprocket assemblies are actually removeable complete in that the bearing assembly bolts into the casting and can be removed with the gear shaft sprocket and pad intact
Century and the older westars were a hole bored through the main casting and a bushing installed

One nice thing about the removable assembly was that the fit to the verticle shaft could be adjusted

THe pitch is the angle of the cut on the gear teeth

Manny Knowles

- posted 08-18-2002 04:52 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are two quick photos from one of our older Westar heads.

What type of sprocket would this type of opening match?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2002 05:17 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to check the bible to confirm this, but if I recall rightly, of the London Westrex, anything after model 'B' has removeable sprocket plates.

Manny, the sprocket, gear and shaft are the same on the moveable ones.

The other noteable difference is the primary drive assembly, on all but early UK Westars it's removeable and adjustable.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-18-2002 07:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, that looks like a Century main casting. All Westrex's I've seen have removable upper and lower sprockets. ICECO owns the name Westar(virtually meaningless now) and they usually slap a serial number plate on everything that leaves the shop(for what ever stupid reason).
If thats where these came from that explains it. Seems Century to me though, not Westrex.
Mark

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 04:56 AM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny,
I have most of a Westar 2000 and it has removable upper and lower sprocket assemblies just like the Simplex XL. Yours does look like an older model or a Century. In rebuilding these things I found that Century had so many people making gears for them over the years I started to replace them in pairs only. I had very good luck with LaVezzi gears and hightly recommend them.

Gordon,
Is Florida the only place to get Westrex parts? Mine is missing the removable outboard main drive shaft bearing holder.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 07:39 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Westar 2001-E at the Regal, Cranleigh installed 1970. Details of 2001-E taken from a Westrex manual 1955.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-19-2002 08:46 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Westrex 2001 is a fine machine.....I have two running in platter houses for 20 years with two overhauls with no problem. The upper and lower sprocket bearing assembly and outboard main drive removeable bearing support make it easy to tweak for smooth operation. The intermittent drive gear on the vertical shaft and bearing support are slightly different from the Century type, again which allows for final tweak for smoooth operation. A wek spot is the lens mount which is not too forgiving in a tilt situation but works fine level.
Cinecita has been out of production for 15 years and have recently restarted very limited production due to increased building in India. The units sold to ORC where pretty poor and it was obvious that ORC did nothing in quality control since I remember I had to cut a piece of metal off of a soundhead casting so the drive belt could be installed:rolleyses: Cinecita had labor disputes ( which probably contributed to their quality control ) and they shut down their plant.
Monee, the largest supplier of the Indian Centurys is the source of the "Rebadged Westar" units sold by ICECO ( with a Kelmar turret vs the Monee, which the early ones had a problem in indexing accurately ).ICECO will supply either the 14 pitch or Century pitch gears as required by the customer. The intermittents, at least, would have the seals and bearings replaced or at most than intermittent rebuld kit installed to make them more reliable for platter use. Monee has moved to a new plant a couple of years ago and in their latest literature they have a picture of the four unit intermittent test stand to run in the units.
Indian parts are from four sources and vary in quality. We replace the set screws in the gears with stainless allen screws which tend to solve most of the operational problems with the gears.
The V-8 is a tank and the gear train was designed for a 50,000 service life if properly maintained. The weak spot on earlier units was the combination fire shutter picture douser which required constant adjustment which in later model was replace with a "zipper" type changeover. V-4 seem to run forever if you remember to push the oil plunger ( a la E-7 ) prior to each show. I installed a sixplex in Miami 20 years ago ( after removing the equipment from another cinema ) with platters and they are still chugging 12 hours a day.
Cinemeccanica US has, like most suppliers, have downsized, so telephone support is not as great as before but they are trying in addition to our staff in taking care of questions. The parent company has been under the same ownership for 80 years which is extremly rare in this business.
I found PRO-35 easy to keep on the screen has long as you changed out the framing coupler yearly and the oil seal and general recondition on a five year average......and keep it oiled of course.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 04:14 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice clean Westar there Bernard! It's good to see them being looked after properly.

Basically the letter suffix of the later models denotes single or double shutter and the type of drive adaption fitted. Of course that may have changed in the machines lifetime, as rep-sets were often changed. Your set up was quite unusual with the RCA sound heads. Almost all of the Westars I see have the Westrex 2002 (R2) or 2003 (R3) rep-set. On the other hand I've got a picture somewhere of the Cameo, Edinburgh, just after CinemaScope was installed. The booth had Westrex 2002 with Kalee 12 picture heads on. The adaption gearing is quite intricate!

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2002 03:35 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete, The projector heads and soundheads had just been hand painted, with three coats of Hammerite gloss white enamel radiator paint, which never discolours, and is extremely hard wearing! A whole day was spent on each projector head, and same for each soundhead, stripping out all removable parts to make a thorough job. You can also get the radiator paint in satin finish, but the gloss finish is so much smarter.

The RCA 9031 soundheads were installed new at Cranleigh in 1954, the projector heads were Ross GC3s, a Pathe Equipment package! So hence the unusual set-up afterwards in 1970 with the Westars 2001s. This was quite common in some ABC cinemas during the late 1950s when Ross or Simplex projectors were replaced retaining the RCA sound system. Following this period Plilips FP20s took the scene.

I’ve worked on the older Westar projector heads without the removable upper & lower sprocket assemblies, also they had the smaller 50mm lens barrel! Claimed to be the first two Westar’s installed in 1947 at the Playhouse, Hampstead (later Classic, then ABC, now closed). These were mounted onto Western Electric Universal Bases.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2002 03:42 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Century DBW

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2002 01:05 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of the early Westars like those you mentioned would be pre CinemaScope. Look carefully and you'll often see file marks aruond the lens opening where somebody got the odious task of opening out said hole so the lens could be shifted over. Eccentric and non-eccentric lens sleeves were used for optical and mag CinemaScope foramts.

Justin McLeod
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2002 09:05 PM      Profile for Justin McLeod   Email Justin McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I posted one last question on the centry projector thread that I started but for some reason or another the question went unanswered. I will ask it again on this thread. Can you manually turn over the sprokets on a centry projector like you can on a christie?

Manny Knowles

- posted 08-20-2002 09:22 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you say "manually turn over sprockets" do you mean...

...flip them around (so they wear evenly); or
...inch the gears (drivetrain).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-20-2002 09:24 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Centurys can be turned over by hand. Assuming that you have Century soundheads, there should be a flywheel on the front of the soundhead (attached to the motor). From the operator side, you can reach in front and spin the flywheel in the "up" (counterclockwise) direction to advance the mechanism. (Simplex X-Ls with 5-star soundheads work the same way, but you spin the flywheel in the opposite direction).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: