Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Changing Reflectors

Author Topic: Changing Reflectors
Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2002 01:47 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Rialto needs two new reflectors for lamphouses.

#1 is a Strong Super Highlight console with a 3,000 watt Christie 30sc lamp. The reflector is spalling or the reflective surface is flaking off in a ring around the lamp. When I tried to clean the reflector, the cloth was full of little shiny bits that floated in the air. The current light on screen is adequate but could be better. This condition will only get worse as well.

#4 is a Christie SL1 lamphouse, using a CXL20. The first lamp blew up at 600 hours pitting the reflector in year 2000. The screen is small enough that it is still well lit, but the pits still bother me.

How difficult is replacing a reflector for a neophyte like myself?
(I mean neophyte at changing a reflector.)

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-18-2002 03:15 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not using either of those lamp houses, but changing the reflector on the Christie CC20-CH20 was not difficult at all.

The most difficult part was doing the optomechanical alignment and that was actually a lot of fun with the Align-O-Tron.

...and I think I'm more of a neophyte than you. (Or...were you kidding about that part?)

~Manny (the really, really, really thin guy on the forums).

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-18-2002 03:34 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, I have to agree with Manny. Changing them is not that difficult, but the alignment could be a different story. Unless you have the proper equipment to align them, it would be best to call someone in that knows what they are doing for the alignment phase. Of course, you can buy lazer alignment kits and do it yourself, but I don't know if it is cost effective.

In our theatres, I just replace the reflectors and get them as close to alignment as I can. Then, I call in someone for the final alignment. It usually boosted my light output by at least 3 to 4 foot-lamberts. I just recently replaced 2 reflectors in the ORC consoles in Oak Harbor. I was amazed by the results of Lazer alignment. I was able to get the light from one of those consoles up to Academy standard. The other....well, it is still down a little, but it is not too bad.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-18-2002 03:43 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A proper alignment makes all the difference in the world.

I've actually been able to turn down the "tap switches" on a couple of these consoles. Previously, they were running brand-new bulbs with the ammeters "off the scale" and the pictures still looked very dim.

Just make sure you don't run too much white light through your lenses while testing/tweaking your alignment or you'll be replacing those, too.

~Manny.

An afterthought: I'm about to receive a complete package of replacement lenses. Maybe I should hang onto some of the old lenses for use during lamp alignments..?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-18-2002 03:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also try to figure out why 2 reflectors suddenly flaked on you
It is usually an issue of heat (fans not working) or someone focusing the lamp to far back in the reflector

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2002 07:58 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Align-o-Tron is priced reasonably (around $250, I believe) and it would be worth it to buy one for your theater and it would make aligning those new reflectors alot easier and more accurate.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-18-2002 08:55 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Changing out the Strong Highlite reflector is easy due to the casting mount and the room in the lamphouse. Dichroic coatings do not last forever and flaking in the back maybe a focus or cooling issue which is more common in the older series ( which I assume you have ) with the exposed reflector mount vs the plenum box set-up. The focus mechanism on the older series has quite a bit of play in the adjustment linkage which will allow the bulb to move if your console has a tilt; we have installed set screw spacers and spring washers in some consoles to rid of theis problem. There is also a muffin fan built in the underside of the base of the light table in some models to provide cooling to the anode and cathode bulb ends which may need to be cleaned or replaced. We keep Strong Highlite and Lumex 11" reflectors in stock.
Richard fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2002 09:08 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if the newer stamped style reflectors from the Highlight 2 consoles are interchangeable with the older separate flange types used in the Super and Ultra 80 and the older highlight consoles?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: