Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Running Logos for 6 to 8 months...sound reasonable ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Running Logos for 6 to 8 months...sound reasonable ?
Mauro Mastrosimini
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2002 11:59 AM      Profile for Mauro Mastrosimini   Email Mauro Mastrosimini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

I run 15 minutes of ads and trailers before a sesion. They include of course Company Logos, Dolby trailers, etc. I need to order new Company Logos (Dolby, DTS as well). When asked: "How long will they last ?" => 6 to 8 months...does that sound reasonable ?
If you had the chance (money) to change them every 3 months, that would be great, but given the economic disaster we´re living here in Argentina, I need to squeeze a couple of months more.
What do you guys think ?

Saludos

Mauro

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-18-2002 12:13 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mauro,
you shold be able to get 6 to 8 months with proper handling and cleaning procedures. Dolby trailers are free on a 3 month replacement schedule if you are signed up with the service and have the processors....in fact the Dolby trailers are printed at Cinecolor.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-18-2002 03:31 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's all this about Dolby trailers being free every couple-o-months???

I get a free batch annually and just to make sure they last I only run them on "special" movies. That is, I tend to only run Dolby/DTS snipes on the big sellers, where I'm sure they'll get plenty of good exposure. I almost never run Dolby/DTS logo snipes on quiet movies (but if I did, then I'd only use the "Egypt" or "Aurora" snipes).

So how come I'm only getting my trailers annually? Did I miss something, or is this because I'm outside the U.S.? If so, that's a lousy excuse.

~Manny (from the Greek, meaning: "like a man.")

P.S. I just got some Dolby CP-650s and a quick glance at the trailer selection makes me wonder: Is the "City" snipe out of production? It's not on the list.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-18-2002 04:29 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a frequent movie patron, I always enjoy the THX & digital sound trailers whenever they are played. In Hawaii there are three theatrical chains. They include the largest with the most screens-Consolidated Theatres which is actually owned and operated by Pacific Theatres. The next largest is Wallace followed by Signature. I do not attend any film presentations at Wallace because their theatres and presentations suck big time but Signature Theatres are not bad. They are the only ones that feature THX in one of their theatre complex. No matter how many screens are in a complex, they always play a digital sound trailer and THX in the houses that have them. With the exception of the Waikiki Twins and the Waikiki #3, all of Consolidated other theatres do not play digittal sound trailers anymore. A projectionist friend who works for the company once told me that the reason they do not play the trailers is because of the constant moving of a print in a complex. He told that a print can open in a SRD house and two days later, it can be moved into a DTS or SDDS house because of various reasons. Due to this constant change over , I was told that it is not feasible to run digital sound trailers. I find this reasoning very difficult to accept because Signature Theatres has always ran the sound trailers in multiplexes that has more screens than Consolidated's. Another thing that bothers me about Consolidated is their unwillingness to play the HPS-4000 sound trailers at their Flagship theatres, the Ward 16 and the Waikiki Twins because in my opinion, HPS-4000 sound is much better than THX especially the top of the line, the XL which the Waikiki and four of the largest theatres at the Ward have.

-Claude

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-18-2002 10:04 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just went to the Dolby.com site and can't find any logo's for sale anywhere. Anyone direct me? How do you get new copies every three months?

So many questions...

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2002 10:07 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have any tips for keeping them clean? My boss wants me to clean them with the formula 141 we get... I don't think that's a good idea but he wants me to keep them clean. What cheap alternative is there to keep them decently clean??

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-18-2002 10:13 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually just call the San Francisco office and speak with someone in Dolby Marketing.

As for keeping them clean:

I only run them on opening weekends
I don't use them for all movies (as previously stated)
Handle them with gloves
Keep your projectors clean

A lot of people here will tell you to use FilmGuard. I can't wait to switch over to that. I'm still using PTR cleaning systems.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-18-2002 10:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Properly done, trailers should be able to be ran for a year or two without dirt buildup or damage. I have ran policy and sound logos for 3 years without any marks. However all it takes is for one person to do a sloppy breakdown job, or one person to handle the trailer wrong one time to screw that up. This is why it is my policy to assign ONE person in the booth to handle these sort of things and only in an emergency situation should another do it.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-19-2002 04:29 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had DTS trailers that lasted for three years, thanks to film guard. I imagine they are toast now, I am not there to run them anymore. The new staff does not run the cleaner most of the time. So bye bye trailers. They were georgeous.

I had seen just two years ago a perfectly preserved simpsons THX trailer. It was years old but fantastic shape. Amazing. I do not know if they used film guard, but they did a great job.

Dave

Mauro Mastrosimini
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 02:02 PM      Profile for Mauro Mastrosimini   Email Mauro Mastrosimini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 Years !!!! Wow !! Ok, so my next question is how you handle the weekly make-up and break down of ads and trailers.
I have to re-build about 6 ads, 4 trailers and 4 Logos (Dolby Included) on every film on Wednesday nights. They´re spliced together on a work bench and then spliced on the film on the platter.
Does everyone use cotten gloves ? We tried them once but found them very dificult to handle the film, pull the old splicing tape of the film, etc.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-19-2002 03:15 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only once even tried cotton gloves, to horrific results. Instead, I would wash my hands with a water based soap, then rinse them in alcohol. This would prevent most of the greasy fingerprint problems you get when handling with bare hands. Of course, when finished, you have to use plenty of water based lotion to get your skin back.

Always peel the tape. Film Guard is great for this purpose. Never just keep cutting the frames off, you end up running out of frames.

Never let the film hit the floor, EVER.

Do not speed wind anything. EVER.

Don't cinch the film either.

So much is just caution. Careful care and love will make them last for years.

Dave

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-19-2002 05:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You're going to have to provide some info on the equipment in your booth for tips on specific trailer change-outs. What kind of platters? What kind of rewind bench? Also, what kind of splicing tape do you use? (Do not just say "clear" or "yellow". Give a brand name with that.)

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 07:31 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dave! If you need trailers, please let me know. I can send you some free DTS trailers.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 08-21-2002 11:12 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We need some new dolby trailors for our theater. Who do I call and who do I ask for? Do you need to be signed up for some kind of service? We have a CP-500.

Josh

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-22-2002 12:17 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the offer Karen. I am taking a long break at the moment from operations however, recovering from a crushed foot. Working on getting a new theater up sometime next year, will get with you then.

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: