Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What Projectors do you Like? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: What Projectors do you Like?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-17-2002 01:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like:
-Century JJ and SA
-Christie P35GPS (after recent Christie impovements)

I have not had the fortune to work with but I can pretty much guarantee I'd like:
-Kinoton (current series)

I can somewhat tolerate but they have serious design flaws:
-Simplex (current models; bad sound drum design with the rubber PTR-thingy, it leaks oil which is always mega-lame, and it is a bit cramped and can be a pain to work on)
-Cinemeccanica (easy to thread and great in concept, but lousy registration)

I do not like:
-Brenkert (Sue me. I just don't like 'em. If you want to emulate the Brenkert experience, open up a can of oil and dump it onto the floor. They are also cramped and I do not like the soundhead design)
-Norelco (Sue me again. I've only threaded one of these two or three times, but it is a pain in the ass. Also there is NO REASON for them to be so huge!)

I have not worked with but know I would hate:
-Ballantyne
-Christie's funky new PG35GPS that has not been released

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-17-2002 01:13 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, there is nothing like an "Evening with the Brenkerts"...you are missing sooooo much!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-17-2002 01:18 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew you'd reply Paul, and I am now waiting for Josh. Of course it is always possible that the ones I have used did not receive the proper TLC.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-17-2002 01:33 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One more time with feeling since I am sure this is a often repeated thread
I worked with and like
Westrex 5000
Norelco AA2
Norelco DP75
FP20-**
Ernamann 12 and 15
Ernamann 8B
Motiograph AAA
Ballantyne Pro35
Most of the cinemecanica

I Don Not like
Brenkert (s) Leak oil a bitch to repair
Motiograph K's
Wassman
FPSuper7's
GK21's
Bauers
Christie's
Super Simplex

Projectors I think I would like but haven't used
Westrex7000
Aga Baltic

Projectors I haven't used but know I would hate
BTH Supra's
MegasSystems

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-17-2002 02:23 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lumping 35 and 35/70 machines as one category:

Machines I have worked with and like

Century SA/MSA/DA
Century H/HH STRAIGHT GATE
Simplex XL/1015/1050 with and without turrets
Simplex E-7
Brenkert BX-60
Brenkert BX-80
Motiograph AAA

Machines I have seen in operation but never used that I would like:

Norelco AAII/DP70
Norelco/Kinoton DP75
Century JJ
Any of the newer Kinoton machines
Ernemann
CFS Dreamcatcher prototype version
IMAX
MegaSystems 15/70
Westar

Machines I have seen/seen operating but I probably wouldn't like:

Any model Christie
CFS Dreamcatcher production version

Machines I have worked with that I cannot stand:

Cinecita SA
Monee MSP
Cinemeccanica Victoria 8
Super Simplex
Century H/HH CURVED GATE
Norelco FP20

The jury is still out:

Ballantyne Pro-35
Tokiwa TSR

-Aaron

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2002 02:42 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projectors I have worked with and like:
Strong/Simplex XL and newer (Familiarity breeds complacency.)
Christie P35G
Ballantyne Pro35/70 (As a 70mm machine only!)

Projectors I would have loved 50 years ago:
Brenkerts BX60 (Their time has passed)

Projectors I can live with but don't love:
Century (The entire group)(They work very well)

Projectors that belong in a museum:
Norelco AAII (I mean they should be running in a museum)

Projectors that I covet:
Kinoton FP60D

Bastard Projector:
Strong/Simplex 35/70 (They couldn't even get the gate to soundhead distance correct!)

The Projector that I hate:
Ballantyne Pro35/70 (In 35mm configuration)

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-17-2002 04:11 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, guys....The Pro-35 is getting a bad rap. I have to admit I never was really fond of them - until I started running and maintaining them. I have gained a tremendous respect for them now, and they would be on the top of my list for liking them.

Gordon, the Motiographs are nice machines, but I never liked the sound of them. The movement sounds like someone wiping their butt with a corn cob.

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2002 10:25 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not worked with but know I would hate:
DLP

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-18-2002 12:12 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have worked with many, but prefer the Simplex XL, circa 1950 to 1970. They still run, and do so like tanks.

Thats all folks.

Dave

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 08-18-2002 12:50 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, the Brenkerts are much roomier that the XL's you dispise so much

They dont leak an unreasonable amount of oil, and I dont find them that hard to work on. Besides, when was the last time one of these machines did need something done to it? they just keep running, and running.

In the mean time, I have to keep a Simplex 35/70 running(and you guys are bitching about the regular XL being cramped!)

Josh

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-18-2002 01:20 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I like...
*Century JJ and SA (Hands down the best projector design of all I have worked with)
*Cinemecannica V5 (Is it possible for these machines to be any easier on the film? I think not.)
*Christie gearless (after improvements)

Projectors I have not worked with yet, but have a strong feeling I would fall in love with...
*Kinoton's current line

Projectors I have not worked with enough to make a decision on...
*Cinemecannica V8
*Cinemecannica V10

Projectors I have not worked with, but am fairly positive I will not like...
*Brenkert
*Ernemann

Projectors I do not like...
*Simplex (all models - no exceptions until they fix the soundhead design)
*Ballantyne PRO 35
*Cinecita
*Monee
*Norelco AA2/DP70 (like Joe said "sue me"! I used to have one of these beasts in my screening room and dearly hated the damn thing. I could write an essay on all the stupid things about this machine. The only part I liked about it was how it handled 70mm film. Everything else is a joke. I have no idea why people love this machine so much.)

*...and finally, any projector not still in production. That right there really does say something. If the design was so wonderful, they would still be in production today.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-18-2002 02:11 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone once mentioned to me a long time ago the reason why Brenkert went out of production was because they were built TOO GOOD! Brenkert was not "part happy" like some other manufacturers. When everyone who could afford a Brenkert got theirs, Brenkert could not sell any parts because they never wore out.

It is a machine that stayed happy as long as you kept oil in it. They were, for many years, a projector of choice in 3rd and 4th run houses. You could run just about anything through that machine from stick pins to staples, and it would not jump out of frame.

If you guys had some factory spec brand new Brenkerts, you would love them. True, they can be a bitch to work on, but that hardly ever happened until the machine finally reached the age of 40 years or so. Most of those problems were because of snagged shutters due to arc-lamp heat warping, or someone ran the damned thing out of oil.

I have to say I had 4 Brenkert BX-60's at the old Circus Drive-in in Anacortes. None of them leaked oil because we had orginal Brenkert Gaskets instead of that cheap shit made today. At the Station Theater at NAS Whidbey, we had 2 BX-80's before the USN converted to 16mm. The left machine never leaked oil, but the right one did because of a screwed up pump cover gasket.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-18-2002 09:24 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have worked with and like:

Century C/SA/JJ
Simplex X-L/PR-1014

I have worked with and have mixed feelings about:

Cinemeccanica V5

I have not worked with but think I would like:

Kinoton (current models)

I have not worked with but think I would not like:

Christie gearless

I have not worked with but would like to someday:

Norelco AA-II

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2002 09:53 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Like:

Westar 2001s. They were running in my cinema for 32 years without a single mechanical failure. They were as good as new when I sold them with reconditioned intermittent assemblies.

The very best Westar 2001 specials I worked with was in London, being the water cooled gates and rear double shutters model.

I also liked:

The Philips DP70, for the experience of running 70mm.

Philips (Kineton) FP 20s.

I would like to work on any good new projector, including the newer Christie, but there are no Christie installations in the UK I believe.

I have enjoyed working on most projectors during my other freelance days, with the exception of certain features e.g. aperture plate changing method etc.

BTH model KB, I thought was their best.
BTH Mk 1 & 2 Supa’s.
Kalee 7, 20, 21, 37s.
RCA.
Ross GC3.
Super Simplex.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2002 01:49 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to defend my Brenkerts and Super Simplexs. I will put my 70 year old super up to any other projector and get as steady as a picture as your XLs. And the Brenkert was a damn tank. We used them at the drive in and never had a problem with them They would fire up every season with out an ounce of problems. Oil leaks? How can you say that about Brenkerts, Damn XLs leak just as much. That's part of being an XL owner. I like XLs and probably would use one if I had the height in the basement, but again, a positive towards the super, they're about 5 inches small than all the other projectors, so it allows me to build up on a core to about an hour and a half of film per change over. I like the Century SA series, seem a little too wimpy in the gear box for me though, there's nothing really to them. But they work very well. HATE the H head. Everyone I know of has focus problems. HATE HATE HATE that bad excuse called a Simplex 1060. How dare they call that a Simplex! Stupid gate design and just a cheaply made projector. The only XL worth a damn were the ones made from 1947-48 to probably the late 60's which where either Bloomfield NJ made or Pleasantville NY models and the 1014. The 1003 is probably my favorite XL. The Simplex E7 are nice machines which improved upon the super for lubricating the machine, but badly designe shutter assembly. It's funny they actually went back to the shutter design that the supers had later on.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: