Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Replace KNI -TRON Rectifier

Author Topic: Replace KNI -TRON Rectifier
Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2002 12:15 PM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this old rectifier that I would like to replace.
Yet I do not know much about this brand of rectifier.
My problems are: slow to strike, and if I adjust the amperage to the blub ...it will not restrike. ( adjustment is set to 8 on back of the rectifier) What kind of replacement would you install.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-17-2002 12:27 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
info needed
Input power Voltage and single or 3 phase
Output current requirements (bulb wattage)
Lamphouse you want to marry it too(certain ones will be easier to interconnect directly too)

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-18-2002 12:08 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have worked with a lot of these brand, but the smaller ones that handle just about a 1600 watt bulb max, but really don't like them all that much.

As for replacement, there is a another brand I have used but I cannot remember the brand of it now for some reason. They were blue and white, and had a wheel on top of it for adjusting amperage output. Beautiful machine, just can't remember the name of them.

Dave

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2002 09:02 AM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blue and white with a wheel on top sounds like an Irem.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-18-2002 09:46 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That particular Kniesley had many different input ratings up here it was popular in a 550v 3 phase as a replacement for a MG set
If it is a 208 I would probably invest in a switcher
The slow ignition may aslo be th ignitor and its autostrike
Those lamphouses are also very inefficient

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-18-2002 12:01 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your problem may actually be the lamphouse itself not the power supply.

I have had many troubles with X-16s before, most of them poor ignition, even on relatively new bulbs.

If you do get another power supply, the Irem would be a good choice (the last X-16 I am running has an Irem PS on it but is still a SOB to strike after a while)

See if you can get a different lamphouse like a Super Lumex.

-Aaron

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2002 05:07 PM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will have more information for you Gordon tomorrow.
As you can see from the pics .... This lamphouse is a pain in the ass to strike. I also do not care for vertical lamps.

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2002 10:04 AM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok here is the info of the rectifier:
AC volts:230
AC Amps: 23
60 cycle 3 Phase
DC Volts: 30-35
DC Amps: 95
Model # 95STKX2-2S
3K on the bulb

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2002 07:33 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to say I'd put money towards a lamphouse rather than the power supply, unless there's really something wrong with it. A Super Lume-X suggested above will run a 1600W lamp and produce WAY more light than the old X16 could even think about. It would work with the Kneisly, assuming the supply could throttle back enough to run that lamp.

Pat

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: