Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby CP650 Changeover Question(s)

Author Topic: Dolby CP650 Changeover Question(s)
Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2002 06:00 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shortly I'm installing two screens in a local place, both are changeover booths and will be using Dolby CP650Ds.

Firstly, with regard to optical changeover. In the manual it indicates that changeover can be controlled with pulsed contacts, as opposed to the traditional maintained contacts. Obviously this would save me a wee bit of wiring, and time is very tight on this job. The CP500 also had this capability, we used it once and quickly converted that install to maintained contacts, due to the famous CP500 reliability. Has anyone got any experience, good or bad with this function of the CP650? For my tuppence worth, I've found the CP650 to be a hell of a lot more stable than it's predecessor.

Secondly, with regard to SR.D changeover. As I'm sure you all know, if using basement readers on a DA20/CP500, one can dispense with the motor start contacts, leaving M1 and M2 closed, I can't remember why this works, just that it does. Something to do with the amount of SR.D data on leaders and the perf delay of a basement reader. Anyroad does anyone know if the CP650 behaves the same way? I don't see why it wouldn't, but you never know!

Thanks in advance for any info.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-17-2002 08:31 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As to the CP-650's changeover...pulsed contacts are indeed the way to go. A simple relay across the coils of your changeovers will provide the necessary pulse.

As to dispensing with the motor start relays...it isn't anything Dolby would recommend but more of a happy circumstance owing to the extremely short delay on the basement readers (typically around 20 perforations, whereas the DD data is something like 16 perforations ahead, there would only be a 1-frame discrepency). It is something I wouldn't do so I can't advise you on the ability to do it on the CP-650.

As to going with a latched changeover on the CP-500...that is the least reliable method. The CP-500 can "forget" what machine it is on and can only be brought back into sync with a complete cycle between the two projectors. For this reason, I've switched my installations to "pulsed."

One thing I don't like about the CP-650's display is that the "motor" information has a "M" permanently displayed with either a 1 or 2 or both (12) after it. For platter houses, loose the display. For changeover houses...having it read M12 is also stupid. Rather than have a the DB9 jumper (pins 1 and 5) just have a dip switch setting or a jumper on the back.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2002 01:11 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or use modular buttons for change-over and add an extra pole, which I had the workshop do, as they'ev got to changeover somehow!

Hmm, never had any trouble from my CP500 changeovers with latched contact installs. Mind you I carry out the mod that removes software control of change-over as a matter of course, it's just one less thing to go wrong with these things!

"As to dispensing with the motor start relays...it isn't anything Dolby would recommend" Point of fact it was Dolby that told me about this in the first place! I'd never noticed that about the display, yeah M12 doen't make any sense at all.

I can see the day when they make a CP with one SVA cell input, one SR.D reader input and a non-sync input, with all automation/remote control on some kind of network bus.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-17-2002 06:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Show me the Dolby document that claims, recommends or in anyway states you can omit the motor relays. It is a happy circumstance that it works.

As to not having two projector inputs...I doubt it will ever happen. All of the studios are 2-projector on their rooms. The extra cost of overhead for the 2nd optical input is very low.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2002 06:21 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was never a document, it was just something that a Dolby bod told me once, quite some time ago.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: